An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tabernacle Placement

Dave

Where should the tabernacle be placed in a Catholic Church?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In every Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic Church I've been in, the tabernacle, which is normally shaped to look like a Church or a tomb, is on the main altar, and can be seen when the royal doors of the Iconostasis are open.

Im with Mother Angelica on this one! It makes me soooo mad when they take the tabernacle and try and put it somewhere else! IT BELONGS ON THE FRONT ALTAR! No if ands or buts about it! Thats like saying...this is God's house but you have to find him on your own we're busy! Hes on the side or in his own chaple where no one can visit him! HE GETS LONELY and he needs to be AT THE FRONT AND CENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

popestpiusx

Front and center, on the altar. The only exceptions have already been mentioned (Cathedral etc.)

Here is where I go to Mass:

popestpiusx

[quote name='foundsheep' date='Feb 7 2004, 10:27 PM'] JPII. He is Great. Its not your opinion that matters. Its Gods. [/quote]
Does anyone else see the irony of this statement?

popestpiusx

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Feb 7 2004, 10:24 PM'] He's already canonized, declared doctor of the Church and "the great" in my book. ;) [/quote]
Is it not slightly presumptous to take upon yourself the judgement reserved to some future Holy Father? No one is attacking the man. Rather we are simply pointing out that, as foundshep so aptly stated, "it's not your opinion that matters". It is a dangerous thing to canonize someone before they are even dead. How about we simply pray for him and leave the canonizations and the bestowal of other honors to those under whose authority it falls.

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Jun 14 2004, 06:20 AM'] Front and center, on the altar. The only exceptions have already been mentioned (Cathedral etc.)

Here is where I go to Mass: [/quote]
Whoa.......That is the most beautiful place i've ever seen....

Now, if you want to see a beautiful Church, take a look at the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin in San Francisco.

[url="http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/sfsyezd2004/holyvirginpg2.htm"]http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/sfsyez...lyvirginpg2.htm[/url]

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 15 2004, 11:52 PM'] Now, if you want to see a beautiful Church, take a look at the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin in San Francisco.

[url="http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/sfsyezd2004/holyvirginpg2.htm"]http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/sfsyez...lyvirginpg2.htm[/url] [/quote]
Whoa...

OwNeD_byGoD

i disagree, hm...

ok i agree it should be very visible and should not be in a seperate building, however i dont think that it is so wise to have it in the middle of the church *front and center* i goto adoration a lot at my church, and like every first friday i try to stay the night in adoration praying all night, and our church has a room connected to the church, but the wall is of glass so we are able to see when the priest goes and gets the Blessed Host. i think it is better to have it in that kind of situation, a room connected to the church with a glass wall. sometimes when i like to go to adoration i feel so good and so comfortable in the little room *not that little but you know* and its so decorated and just has a pleasant feeling

Although I'd prefer the tabernacle on the altar, there [b]are[/b] advantages to having it in a separate chapel (still visible from anywhere in the church). It's more private, which is better for prayer, more quiet, which is better for prayer, and less traffic moving around you, which is better for prayer.

One annoying thing though is when people genuflect towards the altar when they're suppose to be genuflecting towards the tabernacle. It's like, "do you even know why you're genuflecting?". What's even more annoying is when people genuflect in my church at the end of their pew when the tabernacle isn't even in the same building.

Bow to the altar.
Kneel to Christ.

RandomProddy

[quote name='yiannii' date='Jun 13 2004, 03:20 PM'] The House of God can't be both the people's house and God's House at the same time. [/quote]
Why not?

cmotherofpirl

God's house should be a house of prayer, not where you sit and discuss the football team or the weather.

popestpiusx

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jun 16 2004, 10:30 PM'] God's house should be a house of prayer, not where you sit and discuss the football team or the weather. [/quote]
:D

RandomProddy

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jun 17 2004, 04:30 AM'] God's house should be a house of prayer, not where you sit and discuss the football team or the weather. [/quote]
I agree, but I'm saying it's a house of both ;)