An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tabernacle Placement

Dave

Where should the tabernacle be placed in a Catholic Church?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

No its not.
If you want to discuss football you do it outside.

A Catholic Church is not just a big meeting room where people gather for various activities, one of them being Mass. A Catholic Church at all times contains the Body Blood Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ in the Tabernacle. You would not walk into the Holy of Holies in the Jerusalem Temple and discuss the price of sheep and getting drunk the night before.

A Catholic Church is Holy Ground, and should be treated that way.

If the Church is to be used for a secular activity, the Tabernacle can be emptied to another location. Even then A Church is sacred space.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jun 17 2004, 09:40 AM'] No its not.
If you want to discuss football you do it outside.

A Catholic Church is not just a big meeting room where people gather for various activities, one of them being Mass. A Catholic Church at all times contains the Body Blood Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ in the Tabernacle. You would not walk into the Holy of Holies in the Jerusalem Temple and discuss the price of sheep and getting drunk the night before.

A Catholic Church is Holy Ground, and should be treated that way.

If the Church is to be used for a secular activity, the Tabernacle can be emptied to another location. Even then A Church is sacred space. [/quote]
Go Cmom ;) :D

allis-challmers

I think that the Jesus should be right next to the alter somewhere. the tabernacle needs to be desplayed out in the open so it is one of the first things that you see when you walk into the church. I like the way my church is set up. the tabernacle is in the old high alter right behind the alter that is used now.

Allis Chalmers,

Love the name. Used to drive one around the neighbors place, back in the day.

I agree whole heartedly, unfortunately, with the state of modern church architecture there is often little room for the Tabernacle near the alter.

peace...

[quote name='thicke' date='Feb 7 2004, 12:40 AM'] It really depends on some things. For instance, in a church that get s alot of traffic during the day that might not be so reverent (like a basilica that might get a lot of non-Catholic visitors/sight-seers) it might be better to have a side chapel for the tabernacle. I remember visiting St. Augustine Church in Manila. There were many Japanese tourists who would go inside, chat loudly (during Mass even!) and take pictures. I wished the tabernacle wasn't in plain view there.

However in my parish, there is no such traffic. Therefore I am happy the tabernacle is front and center so I can go visit between Masses. [/quote]
This works in the Bascilicas 'cause they have lots of priests to go to the Tabernacle during the Mass. :)

Unfortunatly at our church it is impossible to be front and centre since we share our Church with an Anglican congregation as well (actually works out suprisngly well) but even if it didnt it doesnt sit well with me for some reason there is something about a chapel i really like maybe its quieter from my perspective....i see the poing of being front and centre but there is something about a chapel that really appeals to me.

ilovechrist

Fr. A has figured it out quite nicely...
he was shocked to hear that the Tabernacle was off in our Chapel, completely unattached to the Sanctuary. he quickly moved it to the middle of the Sanctuary, front and center, right behind the Altar, on a high stand, so everyone can easily view it :D

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='Jun 18 2004, 01:54 AM'] since we share our Church with an Anglican congregation as well (actually works out suprisngly well) [/quote]
Is that allowed by the Church? I presume you're talking about a permanent arrangement rather than a temporary one until one of the churches gets a building of its own.

RandomProddy

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='Jun 18 2004, 07:54 AM'] Unfortunatly at our church it is impossible to be front and centre since we share our Church with an Anglican congregation as well (actually works out suprisngly well) but even if it didnt it doesnt sit well with me for some reason there is something about a chapel i really like maybe its quieter from my perspective....i see the poing of being front and centre but there is something about a chapel that really appeals to me. [/quote]
Hahaha, that's truely awesome! :D

by "main altar," you don't mean the altar Mass is celebrated on, do you?

Because that is not allowed:

[quote]It is more in keeping with its meaning as a sign, that the tabernacle in which the Most Blessed Sacrament is reserved not be on the altar on which Mass is celebrated.[/quote]

I prefer front and center, but there are advantages to having a side chapel, so long as it is "organically conneted" to the main body of the church (as opposed to down the hall).

RandomProddy

ok, I'm a little confused before, I thought the Tabernacle was the altar, but the tabernacle was the new altars the Novus Ordo use, I think I see now.

So the tabernacle is the little "shelf" (kinda) you store the bits before the Eucharist.

I thought they were just to the immediate left of the high altar?

The tabernacle is the "box" (for lack of a better word right now) in which the Holy Eucharist is reserved. In most modern churches, it tends to be to the left of the main altar, either on a "shelf" or a small side altar. In older churches it tends to be on an altar against the wall in the center of the sanctuary.

I know there are better words than box and shelf, but my brain isn't working right now...

daugher-of-Mary

In my Eastern Rite Church, the Tabernacle is on the main altar. In the Roman Rite parish I go to for daily Mass, the Tabernacle is behind the alter, front and center. ^_^ For Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, the priest puts the monstrance on the side altar (don't know if that's the right term in the Roman Rite) in front of the statue of Mary.

master_alterserver

the church says it is to be in the santcuary...my priest decided to put it behind the alter on a beautiful wood potium with the tabernacle light beside it on the wall very beauiful

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Jun 22 2004, 10:01 AM'] by "main altar," you don't mean the altar Mass is celebrated on, do you?

Because that is not allowed:

I prefer front and center, but there are advantages to having a side chapel, so long as it is "organically conneted" to the main body of the church (as opposed to down the hall). [/quote]
Wait a minute ... it IS allowed! Where'd you get that quote that the tabernacle must never be on the main altar and always on a side altar or elsewhere?