An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Diocese Doesn't Want Me

catholicinsd

[quote name='StColette' post='1365721' date='Aug 21 2007, 01:03 PM']I'm going to tell you what my dad told me when I saw my dreams of studying Theology slipping away from me. He sat me down and told me this ...

"You know, there have been many Saints who had to wait for years before they were able to do what they felt God calling them to do... many of them had to wait a long time before they were able to study or even enter into the Religious life. It's not your time yet... maybe someone who has waiting longer is getting their chance now. If it is God's will then it will happen. Be patient and pray."[/quote]
That is great advice.

I guess the other thing I've learned over the years is that sometimes the end goal you've been working toward isn't the important thing, it's the work you did along the way ... the preparations you made for yourself thinking you would be a diocesan priest may come in handy with whatever God [i]is[/i] calling you to. And, like others have said, maybe the answer is not "never" but rather "not now."

One verse I've come to truly treasure is the one where St. Paul talks about God working all things together for the good of those who love him and are called according to his purposes. We all go through heartbreaks and disappointments in life, but God uses those, if we let him, to form us into the people he is calling us to be. The friendships that end in disaster, the dreams that don't come true, the loves that die -- these are all opportunities for us to grow in character, perseverance, and grace. Out of great perversity God brings about great goodness. While you may not see it in the moment, and the pain of what you're going through may be great, [i]there is always hope[/i]. God through his grace makes all things new ... beauty rises out of ashes. Don't give up hope.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1365863' date='Aug 21 2007, 05:44 PM']That is great advice.[/quote]

I concur. I just read St. Colette's post and it was really good advice ^_^

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1365874' date='Aug 21 2007, 04:51 PM']I concur. I just read St. Colette's post and it was really good advice ^_^[/quote]
My dad's brilliant! I didn't want to hear the advice at that moment but thinking about it for a few days really let me see that he was right. He might as well be my Spiritual Director lol

My advice is to hang in there. I know first hand what it's like to have your dreams dashed, or what seems like it. Be patient, which is difficult I know, and hand it over ... it will take time ... just keep hangin in there you have my prayers!

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1365782' date='Aug 21 2007, 03:53 PM']It's also the VD saying "You're too stupid and have no friends"[/quote]

+

It's okay to be disappointed and to feel a bit hurt, but remember, Satan knows how powerful a priest is an he would LOVE to take you away from God right now. PLEASE, DON"T LET HIM! Trust in Jesus! Read Job.

[quote]No, having them crushed is God saying, "I love you. Keep trusting so that you can prove you love Me even more".[/quote] oh please .... I was told this line a MILLION times - its a lie, a big fat lie - do you really believe "jesus" crushes you to see if you love him more? - lies like this are filth.

I'm really sorry & can only imagine the amount of rejection your feeling ..... I have a few things to say but I'll pm you :ohno:

We have a saying that God always answers our prayers in one of three ways yes, no or not yet. We may not like the answer but we have to trust in Him.

catholicinsd

And with my financial situation, if I don't the Seminairy after High School I don't think I can afford to go back.

be_thou_my_vision

He will find a way. Finding a way to pay off debt that you haven't accumulated yet is not your responsibility. Maybe talk to a priest about different options to college... isn't there a movement where people commit 2 years or something to retreat ministry? There are other options to college that will help you to grow in holiness and develop maturity.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

You had a strong faith that led you to apply to the seminary and I have no doubt He wants to work with it. Remember also that God brings good out of seemingly bad situations - better things may be in store for you because of this decision. This is not just pious hooey either - I have experienced it in my own life and am quite greatful. As others have suggested, a good spiritual director would be a good thing I am sure.

Edited by thedude

Try [url="http://www.netusa.org/apply.aspx"]NET.[/url] From the people I've met who've gone through the program it's challenging, but a lot of fun.

Prayers for you!

You have a lot of options! :) I would be so excited in your shoes! Instead of being stuck in my regular "real world" job... Maybe God really wants to use you in someone's life during this time, during missionary work or whatever, some role you couldn't play if you went in the seminary right this minute.

Dollars to doughnuts, a year from now you will look back at this situation and clearly see God's hand in your journey.

Edited by Maggie

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1367921' date='Aug 22 2007, 12:53 PM']Maybe I could do some shorta missionary work for a year.[/quote]
Absolutely! I would check out the [b][url="http://www.cnvs.org/about_cnvs/mission.aspx"]Catholic Network of Volunteer Services[/url][/b]. I've contacted a few different organizations through them for my work--very awesome.

[quote name='Maggie' post='1367890' date='Aug 22 2007, 12:05 PM']Try [url="http://www.netusa.org/apply.aspx"]NET.[/url] From the people I've met who've gone through the program it's challenging, but a lot of fun.[/quote]
I go to school with a gal who did NET in Australia for a year. And I know others--I've heard good things.