An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Diocese Doesn't Want Me

catholicinsd

And if you really want to do diocesan, you can always apply to another diocese, perhaps on enearby, or perhaps one further away.

I happen to know that the Diocese of Saginaw, MI (not mine, but nearby) is very eager for orthodox seminarians, and God has been bringing them from near and far. Several men from my diocese are studying for them, and I heard that God called someone from France to study for them!!!

catholicinsd

[quote name='tomasio127' post='1368660' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:41 AM']I happen to know that the Diocese of Saginaw, MI (not mine, but nearby) is very eager for orthodox seminarians, and God has been bringing them from near and far. Several men from my diocese are studying for them, and I heard that God called someone from France to study for them!!![/quote]

Bishop Carlson, formerly the Bishop of my Diocese, appointed the VD who rejected me.

Forgive me but I'm a little confused. You say that you've been rejected by your diocese but also that you haven't even put in your application. Did the director tell you that you cannot apply? or did he tell you that you cannot apply right now? Perhaps he wants you to have a few more years of growth, maturity, and education.

I hope that you will be able to follow your vocation, whatever that turns out to be. You seem dedicated to the Lord and that is truly a wonderful thing.

blessings, linnie

catholicinsd

[quote name='linnie' post='1369352' date='Aug 23 2007, 08:12 PM']Forgive me but I'm a little confused. You say that you've been rejected by your diocese but also that you haven't even put in your application. Did the director tell you that you cannot apply? or did he tell you that you cannot apply right now? Perhaps he wants you to have a few more years of growth, maturity, and education.

I hope that you will be able to follow your vocation, whatever that turns out to be. You seem dedicated to the Lord and that is truly a wonderful thing.

blessings, linnie[/quote]

While I'm filling my application, the VD's were getting recomendations from people I know. From those that they received, they rejected me.

I have no clue as to what was going on with that particular VD, but this isn't the first time I've seen someone rejected, and I know from personal experience just how painful it is. The rejection just about kills your soul.

Another discerner I'd been working with was really intent on a particular community, but they changed VDs, and the new one was, well, "green." The former VD was a "mature" sister (in the convent for many years), and after this bad experience, I advised the discerner to write the former VD to tell her how she (the discerner) had been treated. The former VD first wrote a note, saying she had received the letter, and was praying over the response. A few weeks later, another note came, saying that the new VD's lack of experience was probably the reason for how the discerner was treated.

Which makes me ask, how long has the diocesan VD had his job? Did they actually say that you were "too stupid and didn't have any friends," or is that a subjective interpretation of their decision?

If he actually said that, it's truly offensive, and the bishop needs to know how he's treating people. Once you've calmed down, contact him to let him know that you were offended by the words that he used. If he doesn't cooperate, then reiterate the conversations as objectively as possible in a letter to the bishop. Don't let the letter "drip with hate," either, or the only response will be "we will pray for you." An objective statement of the facts, and a precise, concise statement of your feeling offended should suffice.

Secondly, I think you're feeling betrayed by your "friends."

Offer it all up. Everything happens for a reason, and you were put on this Earth to do a job that only you can do. Just sit in God's lap and cry in His arms. Complain to Jesus--he's the VD's real Boss. And don't forget your loving Mother.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

catholicinsd

[quote name='Gemma' post='1369824' date='Aug 24 2007, 07:44 AM']Which makes me ask, how long has the diocesan VD had his job? Did they actually say that you were "too stupid and didn't have any friends," or is that a subjective interpretation of their decision?[/quote]

The Head VD has been there a while, the assistant VD ( who actually wrote the letter) just received the appointment. While they didn't actually say those words, I could tell that's what they ment.

Instead of assuming what the letter meant (that you are too stupid and didn't have any friends) make an appointment with them. Ask if you can sit down and discuss the reservations that they have. Get their suggestions for ways that you can grow and mature so that you will be the kind of seminarian they are looking for.
To put those kinds of words in their mouths is a bit immature and probably won't help make your case.

As a Franciscan, rarely would I resort to Thomastic principles, but in this instance I will "Quid quid recipitur ad modum recipientis recipitur." or "That which is received is received in the mode of the receiver." Your posts are telling me a lot more about you than about the vocation directors. Live life for a couple years, mature a bit more, make friends, get a job or volunteer. God will use all of these oppurtunities to make you a better and holier man and will help you fulfill your vocation, whatever it may be....

catholicinsd

[quote name='friarMatt' post='1369893' date='Aug 24 2007, 11:03 AM']As a Franciscan, rarely would I resort to Thomastic principles, but in this instance I will "Quid quid recipitur ad modum recipientis recipitur." or "That which is received is received in the mode of the receiver." Your posts are telling me a lot more about you than about the vocation directors. Live life for a couple years, mature a bit more, make friends, get a job or volunteer. God will use all of these oppurtunities to make you a better and holier man and will help you fulfill your vocation, whatever it may be....[/quote]

But I don't have the money to do that.

[quote name='friarMatt' post='1369893' date='Aug 24 2007, 11:03 AM']As a Franciscan, rarely would I resort to Thomastic principles, but in this instance I will[/quote]

Oh how I can wholeheartedly feel your pain :lol_roll:

[quote name='friarMatt' post='1369893' date='Aug 24 2007, 11:03 AM']As a Franciscan, rarely would I resort to Thomastic principles, but in this instance I will[/quote]

Oh how I can wholeheartedly feel your pain :lol_roll:

[quote]Live life for a couple years, mature a bit more, make friends, get a job or volunteer. God will use all of these oppurtunities to make you a better and holier man and will help you fulfill your vocation, whatever it may be....[/quote]

This is definitely good advice. I know he's not your spiritual director, catholicinsd, but you might discover quite a few priests giving you this advice over time as well.

franciscanheart

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1369934' date='Aug 24 2007, 11:35 AM']But I don't have the money to do that.[/quote]
To get a job? That's the whole point.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1369953' date='Aug 24 2007, 11:58 AM']This is definitely good advice.[/quote]
Yes, and advice, I'm pretty sure, that has appeared more than once in this thread. Take the advice CinSD. ;)

catholicinsd

[quote name='friarMatt' post='1369949' date='Aug 24 2007, 12:53 PM']You don't need money to get a job....actually that is usually the means to make money...[/quote]

I mean to go back to school down the road.