An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Diocese Doesn't Want Me

catholicinsd

[quote name='In His Light' post='1398734' date='Oct 7 2007, 06:15 AM']Maybe I shouldn't respond here but I feel the need too.

You have been given great advice here, please listen to it. But as well as listening I would also say relax, you have plenty of time. Serve others, get out into the world, look around yourself and feel the beauty of this place, breathe. Take time to heal from this experience and then see what God wants from you.

Your in my prayers.[/quote]

ditto squared :)

I still can't get over the fact that they rejected me even before I officially applied. This is why the Church is in turm-oil.

The Church is in turmoil for many complex reasons... the VD was just preemptively trying to save you some hurt, perhaps.

Jesus wants you to get over your surprise and get going with the wonderful things He has planned for you :)

[quote name='Maggie' post='1401088' date='Oct 12 2007, 12:17 AM']The Church is in turmoil for many complex reasons... the VD was just preemptively trying to save you some hurt, perhaps.

Jesus wants you to get over your surprise and get going with the wonderful things He has planned for you :)[/quote]

I think way was worse. It's like if you were to ask for more literature about a college, but instead of sending you it, they send a letter of rejection.

It is more like an admissions counselor who knows his school really well, knows you pretty well and is considerate enough to take the time to let you know that you and the school aren't going to be a good fit, at least not at this stage in your life.

I think you are dwelling on this too much. What do you have planned for the coming months?

I understand what your saying Maggie, however the VD doesn't know me very well at all.

My options as far my other options:

Mount Marty College

South Dakota State University

Northern State University

Ridgewater College

Kilian Community College

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1401073' date='Oct 12 2007, 12:53 AM']I still can't get over the fact that they rejected me even before I officially applied. This is why the Church is in turm-oil.[/quote]

The fact that they rejected you before you even finished your application has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons for why the Church is in turmoil.

And going down a one way street in the wrong direction.....I know, I've been there. You've got to pull yourself together, pray about what you should do, and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Obviously there is a reason why you were told not to finish the application. For peace of mind, you need to find out why. Otherwise, you can ruminate over and over and over and put yourself through emotional torment. You might be (and probably are) thinking of reasons why you were rejected that aren't even true, and until you find out the real reason, you will drive yourself crazy. And feeling sorry for yourself....that's causing your own misery. You are actually holding yourself back from trusting in God and finding your "calling."

Trusting in God did not get you into this bad situation. Sometimes we trust, and our life is turned upside down, but there is a purpose for that, and only God knows that purpose. He will reveal it in His time. He's on a different clock than we are. Give everything over to Him. Things do not always go the way we would like them to go. But God knows. He knows when our heart is in anguish, when our life is on hold, when we can't find the strength in ourselves to put all our trust in Him. HE KNOWS. Its through times like this that He carries us through whatever we are facing. But you need to go back to Him in prayer and ask Him for that strength. Start with the basics, just 5 minutes with Him for a few days a week. Sooner or later He will reveal what He wants you to do.

I agree with everyone about the spiritual director. You obviously need to talk things through with someone who can give you some guidance on what to do. SD's are good for that!

And here's something that I learned in my first week as a postulant......

Take things day by day with the grace of God.

That's all you can do. One day at a time. Things will work themselves out, whether you can see it or not. You've got to take that leap of faith and "gamble" as you say. You never know what the outcome will be until you TRY. And living with "what if's" is the most horrible thing. You don't want that.

I'll be praying for you.

Tina, your words are spot-on! How good it is that your community allows you to drop in here and add to the discussion. Hope your postulancy is going well :)) .

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1397841' date='Oct 5 2007, 02:36 AM']Cardinal Francis George was turned down by the Archdiocese of Chicago for the diocesan priesthood, so he joined the OMIs instead! Now he's Archbishop of Chicago! So you never know how God works! :)

Stick in there! :pray:[/quote]

I had no idea about that. Ha ha, joke is on the archdiocese on that one!...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so today was my diocese's annual Senior High Youth Rallly. I attended this event, as did the Assitant VD who earlier had rejected me. Anyway, I run into him, and said "Hi" and he did the same. Howver he did so in way that made me think 'He either doesn't remember me, or doesn't care.'

Can I put an alternate spin on things ..... why the glum over being rejected from becoming a priest? - I was rejected by nuns .... but when I look at it now, THANK GOD i was rejected. If I had been accepted I'd be surrounded by geriatric ladies, locked in four walls for a god that doesn't give a toss whether you live or die :blink: Give it some time, and who knows - being rejected may be the best thing that's ever happened to you. Do you really want to worship a god who rejects you? Spend some time getting to know the REAL God ... the most awesome God out there - the one who wants you to live -

You are young :smokey: (i'm not much older, but a little) learn and yearn to LIVE - that's what God created you for :)) - so much so that even death is just a minor inconvenience

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1410941' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:19 AM']OK, so today was my diocese's annual Senior High Youth Rallly. I attended this event, as did the Assitant VD who earlier had rejected me. Anyway, I run into him, and said "Hi" and he did the same. Howver he did so in way that made me think 'He either doesn't remember me, or doesn't care.'[/quote]

It is possible that you are being a little paranoid here. How is it possible to put that much attitude into the simple word 'Hi'? It could be that he was preoccupied with the arrangements for the youth rally and didn't have time to talk just then, or that he thought [i]your[/i] 'hi' wasn't very welcoming. It is important not to make assumptions about people. I struggle to understand body language and tone of voice, so I used to get really paranoid that the people who spoke to me were giving off negative signals that I couldn't detect. Now I know that there is no point in worrying over such things - if you let them bother you they will take up a disproportionate amount of space in your head. :)

Franciscan University of Steubenville has a pre-theologate program that does not require a particular diocese or religious order to sponsor you. It is meant for youth discerning the priesthood either diocesan or religious order. The formation at Franciscan University can help you discern whether or not you really do want to be a priest for your diocese, or another diocese, or for a religious order. The formation can also help form you into a holier man who would then (being older, more mature through 4 years of undergrad and formation) be a more likely candidate for your diocese.

As for studying theology/philosophy at another university to then go right into M.A seminary, I don't know if you would go straight to M.A Theology, but it would at least be a faster process. Also, my diocese personally prefers seminarians who have gone to more than one school. The minor seminary we send our students to is not the same as the graduate seminary even though the graduate seminary has a minor program.

Also, with Franciscan's pre-theologate program, some diocese's accept it as minor seminary and you would go straight into M.A theology, not sure what diocese's accept it and what diocese's don't.

Blessings,
Marcus

[quote name='GodChild' post='1411005' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:31 AM']Do you really want to worship a god who rejects you? Spend some time getting to know the REAL God ... the most awesome God out there - the one who wants you to live -[/quote]

I know I don't often comment. But I really could not let this pass. God does not reject anyone. The diocese may have asked you not to apply right now but you were not rejected nor will you ever be rejected by God.

[quote name='GodChild' post='1411005' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:31 AM']If I had been accepted I'd be surrounded by geriatric ladies, locked in four walls for a god that doesn't give a toss whether you live or die[/quote]

And since I'm already in this post....."geriatric ladies, locked in four walls", "God doesn't give a toss"? I am sorry to see being turned down by a community has given you such a negative view. I am neither geriatric nor locked in four walls. I live with some very wise women who have done incredible things in their lives. This is a beautiful life, not everyone is called to it that makes it neither better nor worse then any other vocation. There are other vocations to which I have not been called that I greatly admire and hope that I always see the positives in these lifestyles. I'm not sure what giving a toss means, but God knows every hair on your head, I'm sure God gives a toss!