An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Bible Says That It Is Not Enough

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

John 14:26
"The Advocate, the Holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name--he will teach you everything and remind you all that [I] told you."

The first verse that was ever shown to me, questioning Sola Scriptura was 1 Timothy 3:15 "but if I should be delayed. you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth." This verse was enough for me to understand that the Bible clearly shows us that The church is necessary for us to hold onto the faith and preserve the faith. I was listening to some protestant radio show today who quoted John 14:26, and he was talking about the hope that we should have in Christ's words. It hit me like a lightning bolt that the verse that he quoted marries with the 1 Timothy verse. Christ told us that the Holy Spirit would teach us everything, and remind us of EVERYTHING that Christ told us. Obviously everything Christ said can not be recorded in the Bible, and we know that the Holy Spirit came to the disciples on the Day of Pentecost. It is so clear that the Church is an earthly institution given to us by God to help us not go astray.

I dunno maybe this makes sense to someone else, my mind is just bursting in awe right now.

• 1 year later...
Archaeology cat

I realise I'm bumping an old thread, but I was thinking about this today, with the Gospel reading from Luke, which I've quoted here. One of the arguments for Sola Scriptura I heard growing up was that Jesus (and the Apostles) only quoted/referred to books in the Protestant OT. While I know that isn't the case, today's reading confirmed that for me.

[quote]The Lord said:
“Woe to you who build the memorials of the prophets
whom your fathers killed.
Consequently, you bear witness and give consent
to the deeds of your ancestors,
for they killed them and you do the building.
Therefore, the wisdom of God said,
‘I will send to them prophets and Apostles;
some of them they will kill and persecute’
in order that this generation might be charged
with the blood of all the prophets
shed since the foundation of the world,
from the blood of Abel [b]to the blood of Zechariah
who died between the altar and the temple building.[/b]
Yes, I tell you, this generation will be charged with their blood!
Woe to you, scholars of the law!
You have taken away the key of knowledge.
You yourselves did not enter and you stopped those trying to enter.”
When Jesus left, the scribes and Pharisees
began to act with hostility toward him
and to interrogate him about many things,
for they were plotting to catch him at something he might say.[/quote]

I bolded part of it. I love reading from Zechariah, but I couldn't remember a reference to him dying in the temple. So I looked it up, and as far as I can see, there isn't one. In an Aramaic version of Lamentations, written after the destruction of the temple in AD70, there is a rabbinical reference inserted into the text (2:20), but it isn't in the original. So the event to which Jesus is referring is something from tradition, so I thought it interesting.