An Old School Catholic Message Board

"new Age" Rosaries

misereremi

I received an email warning about new age rosaries. (I pasted the text of it below in case you have not heard of them- apologies for the length of it). My question is- I have a number of these rosaries, which have been blessed. I was told to throw them away regardless because they have not been exorcised. What is the proper way to dispose of them? Is it wrong to dispose of something blessed in this case?

Thanks in advance
God bless

text:
"NEW AGE ROSARY WARNING

These rosaries have appeared on sale at pilgrimage centres across Europe and are in most cases are given away for FREE. They are made from cheap plastic and come in white, blue or pink, stamped as having been made in Italy, yet no one knows who has produced them. Since they are available at places of pilgrimage this makes people automatically think they are fine to use. Information regarding the danger of these rosaries was given at the Marian Cenacle in Limoges, France on 14th March 2005.

Why are they considered New Age?

They are considered New Age due to their symbolism which is not too easy to see except by close inspection of the crucifix, which shows a very sinister story. Behind the figure of Christ there can be seen a caduceus, which is an upright pole, representing mediation between Heaven and earth. It is an ancient herald's wand which was carried by messenger gods like Hermes or Mercury. The rod is also a divining rod to measure the earth and it's energies of power. The serpent Satan is shown behind the figure of Christ and is depicted by a coiled serpent which means latent power, concealed but not yet fully manifest, a dormant power. It may also represent to Satanists that the devil is co messianic, co redeemer and co Christ etc. The circles on the crucifix are from Egyptian Graeco-Roman, Phoencian, Baal symbols called the Pentagram, which is a major occult sign. The circles or pentagrams have five points, which represent, spirit, fire, earth, water and air. The pentagram at the bottom is upside down represents the devils goat. The four circles with dots in the centre signifies gold or the sun in alchemy. In general the meaning is "The resolution of all possibilities." Christ does not share any platform with any other god, philosophy or belief system or minor deity least of all Satan. The depiction of Christ on the cross is the most prominent place of worship, adoration, veneration, glorification, for Catholics and many other Christians and now Satanists or 'new agers,' have placed Satan along side Christ. Some have even said that if these rosaries are blessed, they loose any negative power, - and what do you think? There is some debate going on about this at the moment.

Does anyone really want to pray on a rosary that depicts Satan? What we need to be asking ourselves who has made these rosaries with these symbols that should not be there.!!"

Thy Geekdom Come

If it was not blessed, it would belong in the dirt. Since it is blessed, however, the most reverent place to put it is...in the dirt.

A professor of mine taught me this, of course...blessed items should be burned or buried. Since rosaries can't really by burned, I would bury it...somewhere where it won't be found or disturbed in the future.

God bless,

Raphael