An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Liturgy Of The Hours Book Is Best?

Lioness For Christ

Deus te Amat

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1944380' date='Aug 9 2009, 05:38 PM']Morning & Evening Prayer includes the antiphons, the 2 psalms 1 canticle, responsory, reading, antiphon for the Marian or Zach canticle, intercessory prayers our father and closing prayer.[/quote]

Yes... it's the version I use. I've prayed with people who use the four volume sets, and morning and evening prayer does not really differ.

If I were to recommend a one volume, I would recommend the Pauline media version. It is simply easier to use... the hymns are placed in the text rather than having to flip to the end of the book, and the antiphon is at both the beginning and end of the psalm (which prevents you from forgetting to say it if you turn the page while praying the psalm... also less confusing for new beginners). It's also a bit nicer to look at. ;)

That being said, I do find the Christian prayer book that I use quite sufficient for my needs.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I found [url="http://www.fdlc.org/liturgy_resources/Liturgy_of_the_Hours4.htm"]this comparison[/url] of the two which was also helpful, for anyone interested.

It mentions that the Catholic Book Edition only has selections of Daytime prayer, though? Could anyone tell me how it's shortened?

Thanks!

Deus te Amat

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1944909' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:40 PM']Thanks everyone for your input!

I found [url="http://www.fdlc.org/liturgy_resources/Liturgy_of_the_Hours4.htm"]this comparison[/url] of the two which was also helpful, for anyone interested.

It mentions that the Catholic Book Edition only has selections of Daytime prayer, though? Could anyone tell me how it's shortened?

Thanks![/quote]

It's a one week cycle... The psalms for the day are the same for each hour, but the reading, responsory, and prayer are different depending on if you are saying mid-morning, mid-day or mid-afternoon prayer.

The [url="http://www.theabbeyshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_29&products_id=745"][i]Monastic Diurnal[/i][/url] is definitely the best Office on the market.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1383954' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:38 PM']Its a bit pricey ($150 for the leather bound edition) but well worth the money [b]and will last you a lifetime.[/b][/quote]

No, it won't. As soon as the texts of the Mass are finished being re-translated, the Breviary is going to be re-translated too.

I really wish I could see what some of the pages look like inside the Pauline one... Amazon doesn't have that for this edition... Does anyone know if there is a website that does?

[quote]The Monastic Diurnal is definitely the best Office on the market.[/quote]

I don't know if I would agree it's [i]definitely[/i] [b]the best[/b]... lol... I think that would depend on what you were looking for. I want something that will work with the Franciscan office, not the Benedictine. And I don't know how to pray that, anyway...

Unfortunately it's hard to find Roman Franciscan versions these days for some reason. And I'm wondering how long it's going to take for the translation to come out... I mean... it could be 15 years for all we know... and then who knows if the format itself will be reformed... or if they will coordinate the calendars... which would be so nice... except that I'm impatient... maybe I should stick with Universalis... but I really find it hard to pray like that...

Plus there appear to be two different editions of the Pauline one...

[url="http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Products/cfs_chprliofhoby.html"]This one with the harp[/url]

and this one...

[img]http://www.aquinasandmore.com/images/items/2740lg.jpg[/img]

Does anyone know if there's a difference in content of the two?

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1944963' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:08 PM']I don't know if I would agree it's [i]definitely[/i] [b]the best[/b]... lol... I think that would depend on what you were looking for. I want something that will work with the Franciscan office, not the Benedictine. And I don't know how to pray that, anyway...[/quote]

I say that it is the best because it is the only one (of which I am aware) that has both Latin and English. :)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945084' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:09 AM']I say that it is the best because it is the only one (of which I am aware) that has both Latin and English. :)[/quote]

So it's the best if you're looking for something that has both Latin and English, which is a personal and not an absolute criterium (even though some persons think it should be absolute). There are several other criteria people can have, though.

I think this is interesting, by the way! There seem to be so many English-language versions. My breviary is for Britain, Ireland and New-Zealand (at least the "local calendars" are, and it's a three-volume version of what's probably your four-volume one.

In the Dutch language area (the Netherlands and parts of Belgium) we have a one-volume book with everything but the Readings, who come in small extra volumes. Totally different system again.

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

There is a fascinating thread on this topic on Open Mic. I believe it was started by Resurrexi. I have not yet had the time to go through all the links, but eventually I will. I never knew (and ashamed to admit this!) that there are so many different versions!!!

I don't know if this is already been suggested to you, but perhaps ask your future Novice Mistress which version your future community prays, that might help you. Some are very expensive (as has already been pointed out!).

We pray at home and we use the website Universalis and other times we use the Magnifcat. We give the kids a "turn" organizing Morning and Evening prayer (that's all we do as a family), so depending upon who is doing the planning, the resources are different. Since some of our kids are home schooled, we use the planning/organizing/presentation of prayer time to serve as educational opportunities as well (social studies...praying for current events, English...properly worded and presented, reading, etc!) and of course...art and music (for feast days!)

Pax,

TradMom

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1945029' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:51 AM']Plus there appear to be two different editions of the Pauline one...

[url="http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Products/cfs_chprliofhoby.html"]This one with the harp[/url]

and this one...

[img]http://www.aquinasandmore.com/images/items/2740lg.jpg[/img]

Does anyone know if there's a difference in content of the two?[/quote]

I used to have the second one you listed. When I would bring it to pray with the seminary before Morning Mass, I noticed that sometimes there is a slight difference in translation. Just a word here or there.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1383954' date='Sep 11 2007, 09:38 PM']I would really look into getting yourself the four volume set from Catholic Book Publishing. Its a bit pricey ($150 for the leather bound edition) but well worth the money and will last you a lifetime. If you are entering an order, the complete edition is simply invaluable. Christian Prayer is certainly fine, since it is published by CBP, but just splurge and get the entire office. No real major typos that I can find, but I'm a lousy proofreader.[/quote]yes!! :thumbsup: plus St. Joseph Communications makes a 'cheat book' if you need help. well, they make it for both the 4 volume and the Christian Prayer

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1943869' date='Aug 8 2009, 07:10 PM']Which edition of Christian Prayer is organized most like one of the four volume breviaries? (I'm referring to the Catholic Publishing one and the one by Pauline Books, because that's what I've come across searching for them, but if there is a better one, please let me know!)

And are they both complete as far as the whole year goes... at least for Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer? I mean, how do they put in the propers for Easter and Lent? Is it a separate section? Or do they just continue to use the OT proper?

I don't really care about musical settings for the hymns... but I'm confused about which one has that and which does not? Or do they both?[/quote]
the 4 volume doesn't have musical settings. as i was told "because usually those who pray the 4 volume are seminarians, priests or religious, and they are taught the melodies in formation". lol. i do know some things are different, because i would pray it with a priest friend of mine and he had the 4 volume and i had the christian prayer and sometimes antiphons and such would be different. so he bought me the 4 volume.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944928' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:50 PM']No, it won't. As soon as the texts of the Mass are finished being re-translated, the Breviary is going to be re-translated too.[/quote]
well, yeah, that'll be quite a few years though, don't you think? :unsure: i mean, the Mass isn't done yet, and probably won't be done until next year at the earliest? so, the Breviary will probably take a couple of years to get translated and published. so that'll be 2011 or so, right? at least.