An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Translation Of The Mass?

Jutty1224

Theologian in Training

[quote name='curtins' post='1395547' date='Sep 30 2007, 02:13 PM']well thats good

but does that mean I need to buy a new missal???[/quote]

Yep, and I have to unlearn everything I finally have memorized <_<

However, my bishop is on the committee and, I know, he is giving some great input, so the changes will be welcome :)

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1395558' date='Sep 30 2007, 02:29 PM']Yep, and I have to unlearn everything I finally have memorized <_<

However, my bishop is on the committee and, I know, he is giving some great input, so the changes will be welcome :)[/quote]

haha, you and the rest of us

well I'm pumped, even if it means dropping 80 bucks for a new missal

[quote name='curtins' post='1395539' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:02 PM']A literal translation of the original latin would sound ridiculous. Some modification for the vernacular is neccessary.[/quote]

Actually, have you read the Latin? It's really beautiful. ICEL produced a really sad translation (one simple example is changing "chalice" to "cup". The Latin word is "calix"). I am under the understanding that the new translation will not be that different, but it sounds like it's going to bring back a lot of the beauty that ICEL formerly kicked out.

I am accustomed to both the pure Latin (from Tridentine Masses) and the ICEL translation. A lot of times during the consecration I subconsciously hear the Latin translation in my head while the priest is saying the ICEL translation, because it's just so beautiful.

Edited by Totus Tuus

No I know the latin is very beautiful, but if you went line by line and translated it word for word, it would sound rediculous in English. There needs to be some switching around and editing to make it flow better etc.

Now granted, the ICEL took that editing process too far which watered it down, hence the new translation

[quote name='curtins' post='1395593' date='Sep 30 2007, 12:00 PM']Is there any change to the Divine office?[/quote]
Not for the moment.

[quote name='curtins' post='1395581' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:52 PM']No I know the latin is very beautiful, but if you went line by line and translated it word for word, it would sound rediculous in English. There needs to be some switching around and editing to make it flow better etc.

Now granted, the ICEL took that editing process too far which watered it down, hence the new translation[/quote]

I see what you are saying - not LITERALLY taking the Latin and throwing it into English. Yeah, you have to add some connecting words and such and re-arrange the words, since Latin doesn't have articles and it is in a different order than English. Yeah, agreed on your ICEL comment.

Edited by Totus Tuus

articles?

the, a, an

yeah none of those in latin, also, as you said sentence order can be all over the place, with verbs usually placed last. Furthermore, there are expressions in latin that are very literal, that need to be changed in english- example "I walked two miles"

in latin its "Duo Millia passuum ambulavi" Litterally, Two thousands of paces I walked.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1395594' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:01 PM']Not for the moment.[/quote]
I hope there will be,ICEL Screwed up the divine office too.Just look at the te deum.