An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Translation Of The Mass?

Jutty1224

[quote name='curtins' post='1395513' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:39 AM']we're getting a new mass?????[/quote]
No. The Latin Rite in the English speaking world will be getting a new translation of the Pauline Missal.

I have question:

Since the Mass wasn't translated literally, does that mean the every mass I've ever been to (except the one TLM one that I've been to) is illicit?

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1395527' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:52 AM']I have question:

Since the Mass wasn't translated literally, does that mean the every mass I've ever been to (except the one TLM one that I've been to) is illicit?[/quote]
No. The ICEL "translation" of the 1970s was approved by the competent ecclesiastical authorities; and so, no matter how bad it was, it was not invalid or illicit.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1395527' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:52 PM']I have question:

Since the Mass wasn't translated literally, does that mean the every mass I've ever been to (except the one TLM one that I've been to) is illicit?[/quote]

A literal translation of the original latin would sound ridiculous. Some modification for the vernacular is neccessary.

[quote name='curtins' post='1395539' date='Sep 30 2007, 11:02 AM']A literal translation of the original latin would sound ridiculous. Some modification for the vernacular is neccessary.[/quote]
True enough, but the newer translation will be far more "literal," because the translators are not going to use the methodology popularly known as "dynamic equivalence."

We are getting a new translation because in many ways the current translation is lousy, as anyone acquainted with the Latin original can tell you.

Changes include, that we will say "And with your spirit" instead of "And also with you." Also, during the Eucharistic prayer, instead of "Again he gave you thanks and praise, gave the cup to his disciples, and said" the priest will say, "taking also this noble cup into his holy and venerable hands, once more giving you thanks, he blessed and gave it to his disciples, saying"

There are a whole lot of other changes, as well, such as to the Gloria. There is a good article on the changes (and the "why") [url="http://www.ad2000.com.au/articles/2004/jul2004p3_1667.html"]here. [/url]

[quote name='curtins' post='1395547' date='Sep 30 2007, 11:13 AM']well thats good

but does that mean I need to buy a new missal???[/quote]
Yes, because they are completely different translations. Moreover, the old ICEL translation of the Pauline Missal will no longer be approved for use in the United States once the new translation is completed and officially promulgated.

During the Confiteor, the Latin mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa is translated accurately as "through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault" and not just "through my own fault".

YES YES YES!!!!!!

Worshippers are also reminded to strike their breast as they say these words - a practice that has fallen into general disuse, though it is called for in the present Missal.

YES AGAIN!!!!!!