An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Good?

hyperdulia again

cantstopdancin9

love is good- there is no greater gift than love or sacrificing yourself for someone else's happiness

is love a thing?

Edited by cantstopdancin9

hyperdulia again

Yes. Love is a thing. It is a thing that is called good. What is the substance of good itself? Think about everything you call good and find the thing they all share that makes them "good".

cantstopdancin9

well that is just a tad difficult...I'll have to think on that one...

:::goes and sits in her thinking chair and puts her thinking cap on:::

MORight2Life

What is the substance of good itself?  Think about everything you call good and find the thing they all share that makes them "good".

One of my teachers said that a thing is good when it is what it is meant to be. (He may have been quoting someone-- my teacher likes to quote brilliant people. :) ) I guess when you think of it, that's true-- We are meant to be Christ for one another, and when we are, we are "good." Say you have a stapler. If the stapler breaks, it is no longer "good," but when it works, and performs the task it was meant to do, it is "good." I love analogies and examples! lol_grin.gif

I don't know if that answers the question, but that was the best I could do... :rolleyes:

Be God's!

-Michelle B)

hyperdulia again

"One of my teachers said that a thing is good when it is what it is meant to be."

That's not true, what if I was a woman, pregant, poor, young, and not maarried. On top of all of that I discover that my child might be born with some debilitating illness. It is a good thing in my mind an act of mercy to not bear this child. I intend this for good. Does that make it good?

hyperdulia again

'when it works, and performs the task it was meant to do, it is "good." '

I am a demon. the task I was meant to preform was the ruin of souls and the bringing of suffering. I'm fulfilling my purpose, am I good?

MORight2Life

Sorry. Well, it was worth a shot... :) I can't be a "deep thinker." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Be God's!

-Michelle :lol:

Edited because I guess I "entered" before I was finished...Oups! :)

Edited by MORight2Life