An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sons Of....

ironmonk

hyperdulia again

Wellfare fraud is bad. Those people should be punished, because there are people who really do need help, and sometimes it is generations of people that need help.

I live in the poorest county of I think the 49th most impoverished state. The people here who don't work, don't work, because they can't find jobs.

Wellfare fraud is bad. Those people should be punished, because there are people who really do need help, and sometimes it is generations of people that need help.

I live in the poorest county of I think the 49th most impoverished state.  The people here who don't work, don't work, because they can't find jobs.

I know what you mean... it seems like the majority of the fraud people are in the cities...

and the welfare offices get their budgets by how many people they help... in my area, they actually have fudged numbers for people in the past so that they could give them help... when they really didn't need it.

People driving brand new cars.. etc... It's like they only care about the people who can make it to the voting booths.

If they really cared about the poor, then help the homeless man on the street... help the migrant workers in the fields, etc....

God Bless,

ironmonk

ReformationNow

Where does this notion of people who won't work come from?  The fat welfare-queen with 12 children and no husband is a lie (she never existed).  Most people in this country who don't have jobs are not un-employed because they like it that way.

Yeah. Right. I can point to five people on my street alone who live completely on welfare. They don't work. They don't try to get a job. They do nothing. They are fat and lazy. Meanwhile, hard-working people like myself have to give our hard working money to people like this. We need to get rid of this welfare system. IMHO, welfare money should only go to people who are actively seeking a job, or who have a job, but have special circumstances. If you're not trying to make a contribution to society, you're dead weight.

Give a man a fish...

hyperdulia again

this might be, and i've seen plenty, the most embarassingly un-christian thread i've ever laid eyes on.

beaver dam the poor! your children, they starve you say? perhaps you could start farming them for the rich man's table.

*plays with mustache while wearing a sinister grin*

"Frankly, I'm sorry that I emailed dust to give you another chance when you got kicked from the board.... Now, I know that was a mistake."

I seriously doubt you had anything to do with my return, and my leaving was MY decision.

Since when have I lied?

whatever.

-ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

He has called me a pedophile, he has called me a murderer, but I'll be damned if he is going to call me stupid. 

peace

I never called you any of those things... like I said, you see what you want to see.

-ironmonk

hyperdulia again

You walk through the streets of the towns in the poorest county of the poorest state, not the little rich to middle class white folks sections of these towns, but you go to the places where the city government doesn't bother to pave the roads, where little children are barefoot, where half of the houses don't have running water or electricity, where people want work. where they look for jobs, but their aren't any. where there really is no such thing as a living wage except for the few of us who were lucky enough to be born with pale skin and old name and then you come here. and listen to people going on and on about having to pay taxes, so that these people don't starve to death. you ggo and talk to women in the capital city of your state who are working three jobs don't qualify for assistance have six or so kids to take care of and who are not squeaking by, but are flat out not making it. you talk to the little old black women who have to have to decide whether they are going to buy food or buy medicine. you talk to the people who don't eat everyday, then and only then do you get to lecture me about poverty.

littleflower+JMJ

ironmonk that was so uncalled for ......take a chill pill okay? your Both on the same team okay?

please?

:rolleyes:

Iron Monk,

I now see that I misread your post about Jack Chick, and apologize for overreacting. However, is it prudent to compare differing political views with heresy?

To everyone:

A couple of honest questions, because I (as mentioned earlier) struggle often with fitting conservative faith into social work.

Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta said that in the poor, we find Jesus. How does this fit with our image of the "fat welfare queen."

Is there a third way? A way that doesn't create a welfare state, but neither is it lacking in compassion?

God, in the OT said that the sins of the father would be visited unto the third and fourth generation. From where I sit, this explains a lot of the poverty in America.

Again, honest questions, seeking wisdom. Anna, you said your husband used to be a social worker. Most days I long to be able to say "I used to be a social worker", but I can't give up until understand more about the above questions.

peace...

Iron Monk,

I now see that I misread your post about Jack Chick, and apologize for overreacting.  However, is it prudent to compare differing political views with heresy?

To everyone:

A couple of honest questions, because I (as mentioned earlier) struggle often with fitting conservative faith into social work. 

Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta said that in the poor, we find Jesus.  How does this fit with our image of the "fat welfare queen."

Is there a third way?  A way that doesn't create a welfare state, but neither is it lacking in compassion?

God, in the OT said that the sins of the father would be visited unto the third and fourth generation.  From where I sit, this explains a lot of the poverty in America.

Again, honest questions, seeking wisdom.  Anna, you said your husband used to be a social worker.  Most days I long to be able to say "I used to be a social worker", but I can't give up until understand more about the above questions.

peace...

My comparing the demo senators to jack chick and ian paisley was that the demo senators lie about the republican econ. plans.

as I stated:

"I've seen democrats and the media lie time and time again about republican economic plans... just like ian paisley lies about the Catholic Church."

I never said 'don't help the poor' as another has implied.

My point about the demo senators is that they use the poor. The demo senators lie about republican economic plans. The repebulican economic plans are sound and would work if given the chance. The demo senators lie about the plans to keep the votes in their pockets.

It makes me mad when people put words into my mouth that I did not say. I think it was called for, please go back and read what I wrote... I never even implied the things that I was being accused of.

And when I say "democrook" I do not mean the everyday joe that wants to help the poor. I mean the snakes in office that use the poor and kill babies.

My whole point to this post is that the senators that are doing the fillabustering do not care what the people of America want. They only care about their own agendas. The people elect leaders, when a minority selfishly keeps the majority from doing it's work, it's wrong.

Right and wrong is black and white... the shades of gray only come from our lack of understanding of the situation.

everyone...

This is a message board, we are not making public policy, we are not saving lives... people post opinions, sometimes people will disagree, lighten up.

:o

You walk through the streets of the towns in the poorest county of the poorest state, not the little rich to middle class white folks sections of these towns, but you go to the places where the city government doesn't bother to pave the roads, where little children are barefoot, where half of the houses don't have running water or electricity, where people want work. where they look for jobs, but their aren't any.  where there really is no such thing as a living wage except for the few of us who were lucky enough to be born with pale skin and old name and then you come here. and listen to people going on and on about having to pay taxes, so that these people don't starve to death.  you ggo and talk to women in the capital city of your state who are working three jobs don't qualify for assistance have six or so kids to take care of and who are not squeaking by, but are flat out not making it.  you talk to the little old black women who have to have to decide whether they are going to buy food or buy medicine. you talk to the people who don't eat everyday, then and only then do you get to lecture me about poverty.

Hyper, I've been there. I don't have to go a mile to be there right now. My dad has always volunteered for St. Vincent De Paul for as long as I can remember. I've gone with him to 'mobile homes' that I wouldn't want my dog to sleep in, filled with filth, holes, rats, a few adults, and a dozen kids, without electricity.

I told my dad once when I was 12 and was horrified at one place we went to that if I had to live there, I'd run away. My dad told me, there's no place for the kids to run too. There are tons of people who allow their families to live like that because the "adults" don't care. I'm not going to claim to know the percentage accross the nation, but I would say it's pretty even.

I've also given jobs to Mexican immigrants who slept in rags under a tree and could not speak English. If they could provide the proper work permit documentations, they got a chance. I've seen these same people totally build lives in a few months and become foreman in a year or so. I've also given jobs to natural born US citizens who only work because their eligibilty has run out. They also would miss work a couple of days a week because they don't want other government payouts to cease or be diminished for earning too much.

I have a bleeding heart, card carrying, liberal Democrat brother-in-law who worked for Social Security as a psychologist interviewing persons claiming disability. He told me the vast majority of these people fake it and take advantage of the system, but the guidelines still require they recieve payments.

My 99 year old blind Grandmother, who only worked a few years at a paycheck job because she grew up on a farm, and took care of her kids gets less than $500 a month from SS to live on. If she had no family, where would she be? If her health was bad, what should she do? The money's not there becasue of leeches on society.

It's a tough world, and there are plenty of people who need help. There is also no shortage of people who take advantage of Society's generosity. I don't think it's unchristian for some people to work against this waste. And not all the people who want society to help are naive idiots.