An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Wedding During The Christmas Octave

beautyforashes

beautyforashes

My fiance and I were told that since our wedding is during the Christmas Octave (December 29th to be exact) we cannot chose our own readings or chose the prayers. We were told we would have to use the readings and prayers of the daily mass. Is this really true?

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal states:

[i]372. Ritual Masses are connected to the celebration of certain Sacraments or Sacramentals. They are prohibited on Sundays of Advent, Lent, and Easter, on solemnities, on the days within the Octave of Easter, on the Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls’ Day), on Ash Wednesday, and during Holy Week, taking due account of the norms given in the ritual books or in the Masses themselves.[/i]

A ritual Mass is the wedding Mass. There is no mention of the Octave of Christmas....

Edited by cappie

Thy Geekdom Come

My fiancee and I also thought this would be a problem (we're getting married on the 28th of December, lol). We were told that as long as the Mass isn't also the Mass of the day (i.e. as long as the wedding doesn't take place during normal Saturday Mass), then the readings can be whatever you choose...which is good, because as the date falls, we would have had to listen to how Herod killed all the babies...at our wedding...bad timing...

God bless,

Micah