17 replies to this topic

#1 socalscout

socalscout

PM Super Alien

• n00b
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:55 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...onduras_aids_dc

It's hard to love thy neighbor when they say such stupid things. Give me strength and patience.

#2 Blessed Imelda Pray for Us

Blessed Imelda Pray for Us

PM Newbie

• n00b
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

Oh my goodnes that is irritating.

Though if Latin America is adhering to both no premarital sex and no contraception....why is AIDS being spread out of control?

#3 Noel's angel

Noel's angel

Hope?

• Church Militant
  • 9,994 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

:wacko:

"The fact young people start to be sexually active between 15 and 19 without sex education contributes to the spreading of the virus, as well as the fact that the evidence shows abstinence is not working," Stella told Reuters.

Well, educate them about abstinence then, silly person. And as for it 'clashing with modern values', maybe they should be writing an article on how modern values are the real reason for the spread of the disease.

#4 Raphael

Raphael

Code Monkey @ Doxology Studios

• Church Militant
  • 32,948 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Gosh, we wouldn't want to clash with modern values! Modern values are so convenient! I mean, look at the modern value that is the Big Mac...sure, it's low-quality, Grade F beef, slathered in fat, deep-fried, and served on a high-glycemic bun, but the value! Think of the value! Think of that low, low cost! Why should we be forced into inconvenience when the convenient thing to do is so cheap, so easy, so not-even-worth-being-done that one can't help but do it, taking advantage of it's low personal and moral cost and pretending as if it's a half-decent substitute for the real thing! Think of the value!

#5 Archaeology cat

Archaeology cat

Species 8472

• Church Militant
  • 13,416 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

:wacko:

"The fact young people start to be sexually active between 15 and 19 without sex education contributes to the spreading of the virus, as well as the fact that the evidence shows abstinence is not working," Stella told Reuters.

Well, educate them about abstinence then, silly person. And as for it 'clashing with modern values', maybe they should be writing an article on how modern values are the real reason for the spread of the disease.

Exactly. Especially since condoms aren't 100% effective.

#6 S][N

S][N

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

""In Latin America the use of condoms has been demonized, but if they were used in every relation I guarantee the epidemic would be resolved in the region," said Alberto Stella, the UNAIDS Coordinator for Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica."

Bull! Doesn't matter if condoms weren't demonized or not, guys don't like the things and probably wouldn't use them anyways. So for it being completely resolved through the introduction of condoms is complete bull.

#7 MIkolbe

MIkolbe

Poor little Tink Tink.

• Church Militant
  • 45,713 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

Because, of course, what is uppermost in the mind of every fornicator is the Teaching of the Magisterium

- Mark Shea

#8 Lil Red

Lil Red

WINNING!

• Church Militant
  • 48,133 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

:rolleyes: yeah, because the use of condoms as worked really well for Africa, doncha know? :rolleyes:

#9 Lil Red

Lil Red

WINNING!

• Church Militant
  • 48,133 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Aggie Catholics has a good post on this:

Really? Just like in Africa? The only country that has had any real success at battling AIDS in poor countries it Uganda. They did it by emphasizing fidelity and abstinence. Of course, most people who oppose such things believe humans cannot control themselves and will have sex regardless of the consequences. So, we should throw condoms at the problem.

All this does is create a false sense of security. Condoms don't fix the problem as the UN official claims, they make it worse. It is like throwing gas on the fire. Tell me what is wrong with this message.
-tell people that they should wait to have sex until marriage.
-tell them about the risks of AIDS and other diseases.
-tell them that if you have sex there is always a chance of getting pregnant.
-tell them they will suffer emotionally, spiritually, relationally, and physically.
-then tell them that they can't control themselves and give them condoms.

The fact is that if everyone would be faithful to their spouse and abstain until marriage we would wipe out all STDs in two generations.
We know that condoms fail frequently (12-15% of the time). We also have some studies that show that actively promoting the use of condoms can in fact increase sexual activity outside of marriage. If this is the case, then there is a chance that promoting condoms may actually increase the infection rate (see John RICHENS et al., “Condoms and seat belts: the parallels and lessons”, The Lancet , (no 355; January 29 th , 2000 , pp. 400-403).

#10 Romans1513

Romans1513

PM Alien

• n00b
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

Oh my goodnes that is irritating.

Though if Latin America is adhering to both no premarital sex and no contraception....why is AIDS being spread out of control?

Because they're not adhering to the "no premarital sex" just to "no contraception". The number of unwed mothers here is really high.

This article is quite ridiculous though. They are completely missing the point.

#11 CatherineM

CatherineM

New Mom in Training

• Church Scholar
  • 24,387 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:51 PM

I just had a great nephew born this week who is a condom failure "echo." His daddy was conceived by condom failure, and now my nephew has 4 kids of his own. Maybe the birth rate would go up if more condoms were used, and fewer birth control pills.

#12 rkwright

rkwright

I Can Change My Own Title Now

• Church Militant
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:10 PM

Lil Red, you read aggiecatholics? I'm an aggie catholic :clap:

Just wondering, but if these people are so against contraception, then why aren't they also against premartial sex. It seems like one value is being pushed, and the other somewhat left in the dust? Or the people are really attached to one but not the other...

Theres an interesting line in that aggie catholic blog...

The fact is that if everyone would be faithful to their spouse and abstain until marriage we would wipe out all STDs in two generations.

#13 Totus Tuus

Totus Tuus

• Church Militant
  • 6,309 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

Gosh, we wouldn't want to clash with modern values! Modern values are so convenient! I mean, look at the modern value that is the Big Mac...sure, it's low-quality, Grade F beef, slathered in fat, deep-fried, and served on a high-glycemic bun, but the value! Think of the value! Think of that low, low cost! Why should we be forced into inconvenience when the convenient thing to do is so cheap, so easy, so not-even-worth-being-done that one can't help but do it, taking advantage of it's low personal and moral cost and pretending as if it's a half-decent substitute for the real thing! Think of the value!

I seriously get something out of every parallel you make, Raph!

Because, of course, what is uppermost in the mind of every fornicator is the Teaching of the Magisterium

- Mark Shea

Bravo!

Edited by Totus Tuus, 23 October 2007 - 09:27 PM.

#14 Lil Red

Lil Red

WINNING!

• Church Militant
  • 48,133 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

Lil Red, you read aggiecatholics? I'm an aggie catholic :clap:

Theres an interesting line in that aggie catholic blog...

just found 'em today :))

very interesting line, btw

#15 Socrates

Socrates

Cheese? I eat cheese for breakfast!

• Church Militant
  • 11,340 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

- Mark Shea

lol - so true!

#16 Cathoholic Anonymous

Cathoholic Anonymous

PM Pham

• n00b
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

To paraphrase Shakespeare, I think they doth protest too much.

In the late 1950s and early '60s, the Church was castigated by certain groups of people for preaching an outdated, restrictive moral code that interfered with people's adult responsibilities and freedom of choice. The AIDS virus certainly wasn't caused by the culture of 'free love', but it was definitely spread by it. And the diehard belief that human beings Just Aren't Capable of Abstaining, that it's Unreasonable and Impossible to Suggest It, has been spread across the globe by increased access to trashy TV and other media outlets.

Now, the people who talk about 'adult responsibilities' and 'freedom of choice' blame the Church for a crisis that was precipitated largely by the laissez-fair attitudes of either themselves or their mentors. It's always the Church's fault, because the Church is a convenient bogeyman.

That said, it is possible that some people genuinely do believe that it is fine to have sex out of wedlock providing that birth control is not used. I have met a few people (including one Catholic) who sincerely thought that this was the case. :wacko:

#17 Justin86

Justin86

Resident Anchor Clanker of Phatmass(BJB)

• n00b
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:09 AM

That said, it is possible that some people genuinely do believe that it is fine to have sex out of wedlock providing that birth control is not used. I have met a few people (including one Catholic) who sincerely thought that this was the case. :wacko:

Bizzaro. In either case most of these Third-World countries don't chose to not use condoms for religious reasons. It's usually because the perception is you're not a man if you use a condom.

Edited by Justin86, 24 October 2007 - 05:10 AM.

#18 LouisvilleFan

LouisvilleFan

• Chummy Commoner
  • 4,313 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:17 AM

Check out the statistics on contraceptive use around the world. Ain't no difference between those Catholic countries and anywhere else. Eastern Europe is the only part of the world where a significant proportion (like 25%) of women are using some "traditional method" of family planning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users