An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Is Infuriating

socalscout

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071023/hl_nm/honduras_aids_dc"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071023/hl_nm/honduras_aids_dc[/url]

It's hard to love thy neighbor when they say such stupid things. Give me strength and patience.

Oh my goodnes that is irritating.

Though if Latin America is adhering to both no premarital sex and no contraception....why is AIDS being spread out of control?

:wacko:

"The fact young people start to be sexually active between 15 and 19 without sex education contributes to the spreading of the virus, as well as the fact that the evidence shows abstinence is not working," Stella told Reuters.

Well, educate them about abstinence then, silly person. And as for it 'clashing with modern values', maybe they should be writing an article on how modern values are the real reason for the spread of the disease.

Thy Geekdom Come

Gosh, we wouldn't want to clash with modern values! Modern values are so convenient! I mean, look at the modern value that is the Big Mac...sure, it's low-quality, Grade F beef, slathered in fat, deep-fried, and served on a high-glycemic bun, but the value! Think of the value! Think of that low, low cost! Why should we be forced into inconvenience when the convenient thing to do is so cheap, so easy, so not-even-worth-being-done that one can't help but do it, taking advantage of it's low personal and moral cost and pretending as if it's a half-decent substitute for the real thing! Think of the value!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1407931' date='Oct 23 2007, 08:38 PM']:wacko:

"The fact young people start to be sexually active between 15 and 19 without sex education contributes to the spreading of the virus, as well as the fact that the evidence shows abstinence is not working," Stella told Reuters.

Well, educate them about abstinence then, silly person. And as for it 'clashing with modern values', maybe they should be writing an article on how modern values are the real reason for the spread of the disease.[/quote]

Exactly. Especially since condoms aren't 100% effective.

""In Latin America the use of condoms has been demonized, but if they were used in every relation I guarantee the epidemic would be resolved in the region," said Alberto Stella, the UNAIDS Coordinator for Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica."

Bull! Doesn't matter if condoms weren't demonized or not, guys don't like the things and probably wouldn't use them anyways. So for it being completely resolved through the introduction of condoms is complete bull.

[url="http://marysaggies.blogspot.com/"]Aggie Catholics[/url] has a good post on this:

[quote]Really? Just like in Africa? The only country that has had any real success at battling AIDS in poor countries it Uganda. They did it by emphasizing fidelity and abstinence. Of course, most people who oppose such things believe humans cannot control themselves and will have sex regardless of the consequences. So, we should throw condoms at the problem.

All this does is create a false sense of security. Condoms don't fix the problem as the UN official claims, they make it worse. It is like throwing gas on the fire. Tell me what is wrong with this message.
-tell people that they should wait to have sex until marriage.
-tell them about the risks of AIDS and other diseases.
-tell them that if you have sex there is always a chance of getting pregnant.
-tell them they will suffer emotionally, spiritually, relationally, and physically.
-then tell them that they can't control themselves and give them condoms.

The fact is that if everyone would be faithful to their spouse and abstain until marriage we would wipe out all STDs in two generations.
We know that condoms fail frequently (12-15% of the time). We also have some studies that show that actively promoting the use of condoms can in fact increase sexual activity outside of marriage. If this is the case, then there is a chance that promoting condoms may actually increase the infection rate (see John RICHENS et al., “Condoms and seat belts: the parallels and lessons”, The Lancet , (no 355; January 29 th , 2000 , pp. 400-403).[/quote]

[quote name='Blessed Imelda Pray for Us' post='1407929' date='Oct 23 2007, 04:35 PM']Oh my goodnes that is irritating.

Though if Latin America is adhering to both no premarital sex and no contraception....why is AIDS being spread out of control?[/quote]

Because they're not adhering to the "no premarital sex" just to "no contraception". The number of unwed mothers here is really high.

This article is quite ridiculous though. They are completely missing the point.

I just had a great nephew born this week who is a condom failure "echo." His daddy was conceived by condom failure, and now my nephew has 4 kids of his own. Maybe the birth rate would go up if more condoms were used, and fewer birth control pills.

Lil Red, you read aggiecatholics? I'm an aggie catholic :clap:

Just wondering, but if these people are so against contraception, then why aren't they also against premartial sex. It seems like one value is being pushed, and the other somewhat left in the dust? Or the people are really attached to one but not the other...

Theres an interesting line in that aggie catholic blog... [quote]The fact is that if everyone would be faithful to their spouse and abstain until marriage we would wipe out all STDs in two generations.[/quote]

[quote name='Raphael' post='1407936' date='Oct 23 2007, 03:46 PM']Gosh, we wouldn't want to clash with modern values! Modern values are so convenient! I mean, look at the modern value that is the Big Mac...sure, it's low-quality, Grade F beef, slathered in fat, deep-fried, and served on a high-glycemic bun, but the value! Think of the value! Think of that low, low cost! Why should we be forced into inconvenience when the convenient thing to do is so cheap, so easy, so not-even-worth-being-done that one can't help but do it, taking advantage of it's low personal and moral cost and pretending as if it's a half-decent substitute for the real thing! Think of the value![/quote]

I seriously get something out of every parallel you make, Raph!

[quote name='MIKolbe']Because, of course, what is uppermost in the mind of every fornicator is the Teaching of the Magisterium

- Mark Shea[/quote]

Bravo!

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='rkwright' post='1408025' date='Oct 23 2007, 04:10 PM']Lil Red, you read aggiecatholics? I'm an aggie catholic :clap:

Theres an interesting line in that aggie catholic blog...[/quote]
just found 'em today :))

very interesting line, btw

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1407942' date='Oct 23 2007, 02:52 PM']Because, of course, what is uppermost in the mind of every fornicator is the Teaching of the Magisterium

- Mark Shea[/quote]
lol - so true!