An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Is Infuriating

socalscout

cathoholic_anonymous

To paraphrase Shakespeare, I think they doth protest too much.

In the late 1950s and early '60s, the Church was castigated by certain groups of people for preaching an outdated, restrictive moral code that interfered with people's adult responsibilities and freedom of choice. The AIDS virus certainly wasn't caused by the culture of 'free love', but it was definitely spread by it. And the diehard belief that human beings Just Aren't Capable of Abstaining, that it's Unreasonable and Impossible to Suggest It, has been spread across the globe by increased access to trashy TV and other media outlets.

Now, the people who talk about 'adult responsibilities' and 'freedom of choice' blame the Church for a crisis that was precipitated largely by the laissez-fair attitudes of either themselves or their mentors. It's [i]always[/i] the Church's fault, because the Church is a convenient bogeyman.

That said, it is possible that some people genuinely do believe that it is fine to have sex out of wedlock providing that birth control is not used. I have met a few people (including one Catholic) who sincerely thought that this was the case. :wacko:

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1408396' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:58 PM']That said, it is possible that some people genuinely do believe that it is fine to have sex out of wedlock providing that birth control is not used. I have met a few people (including one Catholic) who sincerely thought that this was the case. :wacko:[/quote]
Bizzaro. In either case most of these Third-World countries don't chose to not use condoms for religious reasons. It's usually because the perception is you're not a man if you use a condom.

Edited by Justin86

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Blessed Imelda Pray for Us' post='1407929' date='Oct 23 2007, 04:35 PM']Though if Latin America is adhering to both no premarital sex and no contraception....why is AIDS being spread out of control?[/quote]

Check out the [url="http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/contraceptive2005/WCU2005.htm"]statistics[/url] on contraceptive use around the world. Ain't no difference between those Catholic countries and anywhere else. Eastern Europe is the only part of the world where a significant proportion (like 25%) of women are using some "traditional method" of family planning.