An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bishop John B. Lipscomb To Leave The Episcopal Church

cappie

PopeClementI(MorClemis)

I doubt that this was a legit Catholic bishop, but one of those schismatics who claim lineage from everywhere.. anyhow, there is nearly a 0% chance that this guy was validly ordained according to Catholic canon, since they laying on of hands isn't enough to ordain - there needs to be proper intention, as well as proper form - since Episcopal ordinations lack proper form, even a valid bishop's "hands" aren't enough. The idea takes the sacraments and reduces them to some kind of magic trick.. it's amusing how some of these groups accuse the Catholic Church of being 'legalistic', then try to find loophole after loophole in order to somehow legitimize their innovations..
[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1426824' date='Nov 29 2007, 04:10 PM']Actually, I heard the other day a story about some guy down in Texas who was ordained a priest in the Episcopal Church, but apparently there were a number of bishops present there who laid hands on him, and somehow a Catholic bishop managed to sneak in. So the story is that he received valid Episcopal and Catholic ordination. An Anglo-Catholic told me this story... I think the priest defected to one of those weird blends of Anglican Catholicism.

Whether the story is true or not (I couldn't care less, personally), it's an interesting concept.[/quote]

Edited by PopeClementI(MorClemis)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='PopeClementI(MorClemis)' post='1426852' date='Nov 29 2007, 06:27 PM']I doubt that this was a legit Catholic bishop, but one of those schismatics who claim lineage from everywhere.. anyhow, there is nearly a 0% chance that this guy was validly ordained according to Catholic canon, since they laying on of hands isn't enough to ordain - there needs to be proper intention, as well as proper form - since Episcopal ordinations lack proper form, even a valid bishop's "hands" aren't enough.[/quote]

Although, cappie just said a few posts earlier that some Episcopal ordinations have used Old Catholic bishops, and presumably they are validly ordained, which apparently raises the possibility that they are validly ordained. I guess if Old Catholics are using a form that close to the Episcopalian form and the Catholic Church says they have valid sacraments, then the Episcopalian ordination could be valid in that case. A lot of variables there, however, so giving the conditional ordination makes sense.

JMJ
12/2 - First Sunday of Advent

By the way, "domestic prelate" = monsignor. It doesn't [i]technically[/i] have anything to do with his being the former Anglican bishop of London, but it could unofficially be the reason he was raised to that honor.

[quote name='Staretz' post='1423843' date='Nov 23 2007, 12:50 AM']Piskie clergy are allowed to marry so yes Marcie would be the Bishop's wife. Fr. Dwight Longnecker is a former anglican clergyman now Catholic priest who is not only married he has a couple kids.

I am glad to hear of the Bishop's conversion.[/quote]
Fr Dwight has a great blog.

[quote name='henryh' post='1424702' date='Nov 25 2007, 04:45 PM']My impression was that Graham Leonard's ordination was conditional because he could establish that there was some Old Catholic laying on of hands at his Anglican ordination. Old Catholic orders have heretofore been recognized as valid by Rome. Hence, he did not suffer from the "usual" invalidity of Anglican orders that others would who would be required to have a reordination as opposed to a conditional one.[/quote]

[quote name='cappie' post='1424710' date='Nov 25 2007, 05:00 PM']The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith decided, given documentary proof that Dr Leonard had been ordained by Old Catholic bishops as well as by Anglican ones, that there was 'a prudent doubt concerning the validity of his orders' - in other words, he might have been a Catholic priest, as he and other Anglo-Catholics believed, as well as an Anglican.[/quote]

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1426824' date='Nov 29 2007, 04:10 PM']Actually, I heard the other day a story about some guy down in Texas who was ordained a priest in the Episcopal Church, but apparently there were a number of bishops present there who laid hands on him, and somehow a Catholic bishop managed to sneak in. So the story is that he received valid Episcopal and Catholic ordination. An Anglo-Catholic told me this story... I think the priest defected to one of those weird blends of Anglican Catholicism.

Whether the story is true or not (I couldn't care less, personally), it's an interesting concept.[/quote]

What's all this talk about "Old Catholics"? Are they same as Catholics who "left" the Catholic church to be Anglicans for whatever reason?

whiskeyrunner

Just wanted to say I thought it was weird that I happened upon this topic. After a year of struggling with the idea of leaving the Church for the Anglican communion I've concluded I must remain Catholic. Seeing an Anglican bishop with the same idea is comforting.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1428214' date='Dec 2 2007, 04:12 PM']What's all this talk about "Old Catholics"? Are they same as Catholics who "left" the Catholic church to be Anglicans for whatever reason?[/quote]

No, Old Catholics are one of those denominations that is validly Catholic as far as their sacraments go, but do not submit to Pope Benedict XVI for whatever reason. In their case, they disagreed with the doctrine of papal infallibility and split off around the time of Vatican I.