An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment For Boys

Aloysius

it's discussed in Open Mic, thought i'd bring a discussion into Creepy Aliens. And since they always seem to get lost somewhere, i wish i could pin this here. that's why i wish we had an under-20 Mediator of Meh.

anyway, i'll start off with my own discernment stories

i've prayed about it. i always kind of wanted to be a priest, because being a priest is cool. but the more i prayed the more i realized that feeling of wanting to be a priest wasn't necessarily a call from God so much as it was a call from me. it was my desire, not God's call. so now i don't know what i wanna do. i'm discerning and really am not sure what my future holds.

share your discernment stories :)

Rebirth flame

Recently i've been weighing all the possible things for me to do with my life, but i've yet to find the one that i think God is calling me to...

I've been thinking about the preist-hood, but as Al said, i think it's my own mind that is telling me to follow that path... I've also been rolling around the possibility of becoming an artist, or becoming a writer (like fantasy novels and all) because those are my other main passions in life. Becoming a youth minister has also been something i've been thinking about for a while now. No matter what i end up doing with my life, i want my career to not only show my devotion to God, but to also draw myself and others closer to him through it.

Thanx for starting this thread Al, it's pretty darn cool!!!

Surprisingly, I was just talking to someone about this today.

I am currently reading JPII's "Crossing the Threshold of Hope". In it are a bunch of answers to questions posed by a reporter. The chapter was about prayer, how and why. Here is an excerpt that got me thinking.

In prayer then, the true protagonist is God.  The protagonist is Christ, who constantly frees creation from slavery to corruption and leads it toward liberty, for the glory of the children of God.  The protagonist is the Holy Spirit, who "comes to aid of our weakness."  We begin to pray, believing that it is our own intiative that compels us to do so.  Instead, we learn that it is always God's intiative within us, jusst as Saint Paul has written.  This intiaitve restores in us our true humanity; it restores in us our unique dignity.  Yes, we are brought into the higgher dignity of the children of God, the children of God who are the hope of all creation.

So, with that being the case, that feeling you guys speak of. Do you think it is still your mind or do you now think that it is God who initiated that feeling in your mind? Is it an unrecognized form of a calling?

i dont think so. like, i looked at the priestly life, and thought that'd be something cool for me. i'd love to do that. but i prayed about it, and i really came away from those prayers with a feeling that God didnt want me to be a priest. but that is a good thought, maybe it applies to rebirthflame?

also, you got any thoughts on your own vocation scott? :)

I don't know Al. I have felt know calling as of yet. But the initiated prayer thing is really boggling my mind. I never thought of things like that.

Rebirth flame

i dont think so. like, i looked at the priestly life, and thought that'd be something cool for me. i'd love to do that. but i prayed about it, and i really came away from those prayers with a feeling that God didnt want me to be a priest. but that is a good thought, maybe it applies to rebirthflame?

also, you got any thoughts on your own vocation scott? :)

ditto

for me i'm not sure any more. a couple months ago i was thinking about the priesthood but it wasn't anythin serious. I figured if it comes, it comes. Then, when i went on the march for life, one night one of my friends and i got to talking about it. I told him my view on it and then he told me how he was starting to be really confused about what god wanted him to do. He was telling me how he has been seeing many signs. He said that he didn't really know what these roses were supposted to mean. What he said to me that night got me to think harder about my vocation. so i have been praying really had and so now i can't make heads or tails of my vocation anymore.

Rebirth flame

for me i'm not sure any more. a couple months ago i was thinking about the priesthood but it wasn't anythin serious. I figured if it comes, it comes. Then, when i went on the march for life, one night one of my friends and i got to talking about it. I told him my view on it and then he told me how he was starting to be really confused about what god wanted him to do. He was telling me how he has been seeing many signs. He said that he didn't really know what these roses were supposted to mean. What he said to me that night got me to think harder about my vocation. so i have been praying really had and so now i can't make heads or tails of my vocation anymore.

it's ok mammo. Just keep prayin about it, and God will reveal His plan to you.

Persistance pays off.

It is hard to differentiate between signs and your mind playig games. Unfortunately we may never be able to tell the difference. We just have to do what we feel is right.

post-6-1079728534.jpg

Once Pal finds this thread he'll have a lot to contribute, lol...

*vera ducks out of this "guyz only" thread to the safety of open mic*

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by Aloysius

Rebirth flame

Once Pal finds this thread he'll have a lot to contribute, lol...

*vera ducks out of this "guyz only" thread to the safety of open mic*

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

*Shriiieeeekkkk* Fembots!!! Gentlemen, RUN!!!!!!! :leave:

Jk

Pal, come on in!!! We can use all the Disernment we can get!!!

post-6-1079728534.jpg

*Shriiieeeekkkk*  Fembots!!!  Gentlemen, RUN!!!!!!! :leave:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by Aloysius