An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment For Boys

Aloysius

TheOliverOrder88

Sokay

I went on a Come and See at Kenrick Seminary, near me.

Lets put it this way: They allow me to acquire a application next semester. I think I just might do that.

Now applying on the other hand, well...we will have to see about that.

• 3 weeks later...

keep praying my friend. The answer you are awaiting you will find through prayer. God is always listening, - he can't wait to hear from you. If God is calling you to become a priest, you will soon know for sure, and it will be the best feeling you've had in your life.

God Bless

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i am also discerning to become a priest. I am almost sure that, it is my calling from God, i still need to wrok out some issues, but I hope in God that he is calling me to the priesthood, because i can't imagine myself doing anything else.

i know exactly how you feel. When I feel even the slightest doubt of my calling to the priesthood, i think of myself doing something else, and i just can't picture it. Even if i'm just a lay precher, or an r.e. teacher, i feel i will not be giving myself completely to God's will. If God is calling me to be a priest, who am I to ignore his request, and persue my own selfish path.

God Bless

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A seminarian friend gave me this advice, he told me what helped him a lot is meditating on scripture. He said that has helped him lots, I feel kind of bad I haven’t done a lot of this yet but hope to start soon.

As for my vocation story, it’s a lot like others. I have a bunch of collage friends in seminary and we go out and talk about it, and so finally I decided to go out and visit the seminary.

I think God may be calling me towards Priesthood, but also maybe single life. Youth Ministry is really important to me, and as a priest I could do that, but also as a single person I could do that. My youth minister really inspires me and I think that if God wants me to be a Youth Minister that would be amazing.

I think this trip will help me a lot in figuring out if God is calling me to Priesthood. I would suggest others to visit seminary if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Alas! One can recognize the spark of a true vocation when the called speaks. I commend Aloysius and Rebirth Flame for sharing their discernment stories. And from where you end, I begin mine.
While most people refer to the call as "vocations", e.g. "vocations office", "prayer for vocations", etc., I always understood "vocation" without an "s". Even at a very young age, I realized there is only ONE vocation and ONE spirituality. The Vocation and Spirituality of Jesus Christ. Jesus gave this vocation as His parting gift to His friends when after the resurrection, He breathed on them and gave them the Holy Spirit. He then told them to "go out there and preach the Good News", and the rest you know His story and message.
Jesus gave this vocation to ALL His disciples and friends. The way we live our lives is our response to Him. We can respond to Him as ordained men, consecrated men and women in religious life, consecrated men and women in marriage, chaste and celibate single men and women. We all have ONE vocation which is "to preach the Good News" to all regardless of our chosen way of life. This unites as one family, sharing one baptism, called to the same holiness. St. Paul calls this unity the mystical body of Christ.
In my discernment of God's call, I recognized that indeed, God gave us all the same vocation. A Vocation that must be lived out in our daily lives whether we are single, married, ordained or consecrated. Priests are responsible for the holiness of the people God has entrusted to them. And vice versa: the People of God are responsible for the holiness of their priests.
To explore every options and possibilities we have in life is not bad at all. It allows us to experience the fulness of life and the blessings that God gives to His every creature and creation. These options and opportunities help us discover God more and more, and like Mary the sister of Lazarus, choosing the "better portion." At least that is our goal -- to choose God. Yes, sooner or later we do have to make that choice. We cannot just simply wonder and wander around all the time waiting for someone to make the decision for us. I have to make that decision and that choice. And you know what? I'm glad I did. The time I gave myself to venture out and experience life for a while before finally answering His call gave me the maturity and the openness of spirit that perhaps the seminary could not provide. From what I have discovered and learned from others, I have become more resolute to do my part, my share in fulfilling the command of Christ to "go out there and preach the Good News!" I learned that we have to discover first our own holiness while in the world so that when ordained as servants of God, the holiness is within and not imposed from without.

• 3 weeks later...

well this is the first time on PM i have ever been serious so here it goes:

I have no idead what i want to do after high school i am a junior so it gives me no time to think what i want to do with my life. I hope i figure it out one day!

PLEASE PRAY FOR ME

i am getting in to some preatty bad stuff :smokey: :drunk:

and it is not hellping me get closer to God

• 2 weeks later...
TheOliverOrder88

So if confusing wants to play, then let it play.

I go to a Christian Brother's school, the Christian Brothers are a order of brothers who's charism is teaching. Because I am a active participant in their youth group, I am in contact with them alot. That has been a blessing, knowing amazing men of God, who dedicate their lives to the art of teaching. It is so awesome to see what these guys can do.

I have been discerning a call to the priesthood even before I was in contact with them, that has been a staple.

One of the brothers came into our religion class today. He talked about this...teaching immergence program. Where you go to live in a homeless shelter for 4 weeks, then go live in a school run by them that focuses on middle school...in a really bad neighborhood. Then you go to some country south of the border (I am not sure what it is) and you work with the Christian Brothers there. I was really interested. Teaching has been a plan C for me. If I didn't get accepted into Kenrick Seminary, Webster University (for film), I'd go into teaching because thats all I really want to do besides the other aforementioned possibities.

I really have a connection to this order. I really enjoy their spirit, I love working with them. I love what they do. I thought for about 15 minutes that God was calling me to be a brother instead of a priest. Then I dismissed it because my sole vocation would be teaching. I don't just want to teach. Teaching would be a nice retirement package, but I want to do other things (i.e. priest things and film things).

What this brother talked about really confused me. I want to do it. I want to teach. I have a tendency that if I do something, I do something fully. For instance, if God was calling me to live a holy life, I want to solely work for him as a priest, because I want to work for him and him alone. In this case, if I were to teach, I would rather want to become a Christian Brother and just do that....for my whole life. But then again, I don't want to teach my whole life....

And it also really saddens me because their numbers have declined dramatically. They went down near close to 99%. There are few of them left. I love what they do, and I don't want to see them go.

Another thing is, they have a tendency not to be so orthodox. My German teacher for example doesn't where his habit. It doesn't bother me as much because he is a great teacher and I enjoy his class alot. He is so smart and I pretty much think he knows everything. Funny thing: We replace his name with all those Chuck Norris jokes so it would be...

Brother Bernard counted to infinity twice and Brother Bernard doesn't have to do anything for a Klondike bar and so on. He's old and its really funny.

So I really dont know now....

• 2 weeks later...
heyyoimjohnny

Been strugglin' lately... feeling empty. Feeling torn because I can't tell if the desires in my heart are my own or from God. Letting it get to me too much, letting the cross weigh me down without trying to lift it. Trying to pray, feel like I'm not doing enough. Wanting to be a priest but knowing I'm too weak. Wanting to love, but feelin' so, so empty, so tired... waiting for Him to fill me up... mulling over how I've never seen that I've borne any fruit... don't know what to do with myself, my time. trying to pray but realizing its not enough. trying to be strong but realizing I can't go it alone and afraid to seek guidance. feelin' helpless.

Guest phatdaddy

Heyoimjohnny,

Hey buddy, relax man. Take a deep breath. Now, I possess no special wisdom on this subject. But I will say that every vocation is different and every vocation is personal. Yes, there will be similarities that serve to help guide you but if you feel you might be called to priesthood then assume that you are. Stop trying to discern if it's real, that is it you or is it God. Forgetaboutit. You are probably not gonna resolve this. As I said assume God is calling you and begin seeing a spiritual director (that you trust). Walk by Faith not fully understanding how it will be or how can it be. Take the first step and you have begun your journey.

You will not be assured of your vocation until you are ordained a deacon because at that point the Church has spoken. So stop wasting valuable prayer time fretting over is it God or is it me. I guarrantee that after many years of training and living the life you will come to know clearly.

All you need focus on is loving Jesus more each day in the way He asks each day. Pray to fall maddly in love with this Jesus and I assure you the rest will take care of it's self.

God Bless you future Priest.

The Father of a future Priest named John

ThyWillBeDone

heyyoimjohnny,
You will go through many periods like you are in now, over the years. I am only a third year seminarian but I have had my share. Someone once told me, never make a decision about not seeking a certain vocation when you in a low point spirtually. It is good advice and it has kept me here in the Seminary on many occasions
God Bless