An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment For Boys

Aloysius

Guest lundercovera

God made adam and eve, not adam and steve. therefore steve is called to lifelong chastity. hi, my name is steve :)

i think i'm called to be single. it's tough to accept, like BLAZEr said, garden of gethsemane, struggling to accept your vocation when you don't really want to.

anyway, whatever all your vocations are, know that they all call for constant prayer. all vocations are vocations of love, and all can serve the greater Soveirgn Plan of Almighty God. pray and practice your faith, go where you think God wants you to go and if it doesnt work out, God must not wantchya there. if you think you're sposedta be a priest but for some reason and, like in my case, the Church says you're not sposta be a priest, accept that as part of your vocation's call.

It seems to me that I have always been attracted to a monastic life style. I think it would suite me well. I had thought about it before my 3 year leave from God, and now that I'm back I find myself considering it again.

One way that I justify my curiosity is that I want to help strengthen the Catholic church. There is a shortage of priests in my area, and I know how much influence a priest with a friendly, outgoing disposition can do. When I was much younger, the priest would come visit my Catholic elementary school, and this particular priest was very friendly and outgoing. Rather than following the 'strict' priest stereo type, he was just plain friendly and always explained to rules. Add that to the fact that he was young which just made Catholicism 'cool'.

I have my faults as a person, I'm a sinner. [by the way, this morning I went to confession to confess all of my sins for the first time since before my 3 year leave from God and I am on cloud 9...I feel amazing and loved! I have yet to experience any greater feeling than this!]

As I was saying...I am a sinner, but I have recieved the sacrament of reconcilliation and I have put all of those sins behind me. I feel like a new person. I think that the priest-hood may be a viable decision for me. Writting and editorialism is perhaps my greatest talent. I could use this for my sermons. At the same time, I'm a 'people' person.

I don't know exactly where I am going with this, but I am examining my strengths and I think that I may be able to use them within the clergy to help mend some of the wounds of the church, to help restore people's faith (in what would me my parish anyway.)

Right now I am not certain about anything except perhaps the devine, but even that's a mystery! So I'll just let go and let God take the wheel for a bit. I'm gonna go have supper!

Peace!

-Thomas

praise GOd! that's amesome! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

i'm sure you'd make a great priest. pray about it, He'll guide you in prayer. also try out the things blazer was sugesting, help the priest with his errands, teach CCD, become an altar server or somethin :-) if God wants you to be a preist, He'll help you out through prayer, and through priest's cousel, and through showing you the beauty of the work when you do it.

So I'll just let go and let God take the wheel for a bit.

let God take the wheel for a bit

YAY GOD! that's sweeeet!

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I am not sure right now. I feel very confused. I have a feeling that I want to be called to the priesthood, but I am waiting for that unmistakable sign from God telling me what to do.

O most sacred heart of jesus have mercy on us, for we are sinners!

What a powerful prayer!

I'm gonna take the steering wheel of my life!

we were takin these PSSA writing assesment dumb things, we havta write essays with the WORST promts i've ever seen, they're all so dumb. anyway, the one prompt was to write about the first day on a new job. i wrote about the first day on the job of bein a priest :cool:

hehe, well, umm... yeah. it was really fun imagining it. i loved explaining all the things i'd love to do as a priest, confession; Mass; communion calls... it was amesome.

something draws me towards it. but it seems like there's a brick wall there and i'm being drawn smack into that brick wall. :wacko:

:pray for me:

Rebirth flame

yeah, i've been thinkin and prayin about my vocation lately, and my head is starting to hurt. I dont know if it's some kind of sign, and i'm too slow to understand them, but this last week (from Monday to today, thursday), i've been asked if i'm gonna become a priest about 9 times...

i donno if God is trying to give me some sort of "signal" through others, or maybe i'm just over-analyzing it...

any thoughts??? :rolleyes:

it very well could be a sign. do not ignore this. when someone has a genuine vocation many times it is visible to others.

pray pray pray. try bein an altar boy, help out at the Church and stuff.. scroll back through this thread BLAZEr has some great advice. :cool:

i dont have a clue which direction to go, nor which direction God wants me to go. i know my life must serve God somehow in the most profound way it can. i don't wanna live like a 21st century-er, but like a 1st century. i don't want all this garbage, and i don't want this garbage infecting these lovely souls out there.

hmm... that's all i can think of... gotta do something about that, but what? i donno. i wanna live a simple life, but not necessarily monastic. nomadic maybe. hehehe, i've got a whole bunch of crazy ideas. i could always just build a time machine... :unsure:

hehe, i donno. i wanna do good for ppl and live a very simple life, but i can't see myself joining into a monastic life. i wanna just have one backpack with all i need, books and clothes and whatever else, and wash my clothes in a river, do oddjobs to get money. hehe, i got all these crazy plans, none of which i'll prolly actually do. :wacko: :cool: :ph34r:

Rebirth flame

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Mar 7 2004, 12:54 AM'] pray pray pray. try bein an altar boy, help out at the Church and stuff.. scroll back through this thread BLAZEr has some great advice. :cool: [/quote]
i am an altar boy (i've been one for 7 years now... the oldest one in my parish!!!!).

i also have been praying about it more, and i do nothing but seem to confuse myself further... my mind jumbles everything up into one indestingushable blob of knowledge...

i want, whatever it is that i do with my life, to reflect Christ. i've, personally thought about becoming a writer or an artist, or going into youth ministry, or possibly even religious education, because those things interest me alot. but if i'm being called to the priest-hood or to a monastic lifestyle, far beit from me to tell God that i'm rejecting his Divine Plan for me.

i guess those things are all things that i would be able to do as a priest, though.

Al, i will be praying for you and your vocation!!!

Keep up the discernment, guys!!!

Thy Geekdom Come

My discernment story?

I belong to a family that went to Church on Sundays and Holy Days but left it mostly at that. I went to Catholic school K-8, then to public high school.

While at public high school, I discovered the need to defend the faith from anti-Catholic classmates. I began to study apologetics and joined a very culture of death website to evangelize on the Catholicism board. I was confused about a lot of doctrine.

Then I got a girlfriend and got into counseling, because my girlfriend had been raped by her step-brother from the ages of 5 to 8. She was also sexually assaulted by a classmate. I learned much about being patient with people and want ultimately to work with unfortunate and abused children. My full goal is to be a priest at Boys Town, which I have been very closely tied to ever since I was a toddler (I am not, however, a Boys Town kid...my relationship to it is another story).

In the meantime, I kept studying the faith, became very orthodox in my beliefs, felt a calling to be a deacon. When I broke up with my exgirlfriend, God sort of pushed me further and here I am in the seminary.

Anything else?

• 2 weeks later...

i need to pray more, otherwise i'll just continue wandering around completely lost in the dark. need ta' get myself a prayer flashlight :unsure: :( :ph34r:

Hey there...prayer, prayer, prayer...definitively!
I had the hardest choice of my life (so far) in respect to vocation...it was either grad school, full ride and all in a great Catholic School, or a year of mission with my missionary community and the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, with whom i have been discerning.
The only time i was able to have peace and true desire for Christ was last week when i prayed and spent more time with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament than ever!
Then i knew where i was being called...at least for next year....i am going to Honduras to serve! wooohooo!

So, all i can say is pray and spend time with Jesus, in the Tabernacle and in serving those in need. :D

adoration is definitely key. i wish i could go more often... :(

[color=red][b]PRAY PRAY PRAY.[/b][/color]

oh, and this is a test. this is only a test to set the new alarm system up. there is not actually a girl here. had there been an actual girl invasion, it prolly would've been veramaria.

Edited by Aloysius

ilovechrist

[quote name='Rebirth flame' date='Mar 7 2004, 11:08 AM'] i am an altar boy (i've been one for 7 years now... the oldest one in my parish!!!!).
[/quote]
i'm an altar boy as well.. for 5 years now. ^_^
i've been praying about my vocation a lot lately, and even though it is an option, i don't feel that He is calling me to the priesthood. everything around me continues to put "family man" in my head, and it's sticking for the moment. i LOVE volunteering @ the Church, doing anything i can, and i'm getting a response to my prayers that i might need to keep it that way.
but keep praying for me as i keep thinking about it if u will! :D

p.s. now WHY would girls even THINK about intruding in here? :angry: ..... :lol: