An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment For Girls

VeraMaria

How do you actually discern? I know you said in prayer... but it just seems like i dont feel like i know how to pray :-/ I know that sounds ridiculus... but i have also been teased that i will become a sister because of my love for christ, but it comes and goes... i want to know what to do! I am 18 and im studying to become a doctor, but deep down i dont feel like that is my calling. How can i really know?

• 11 years later...
dominicansoul

Dominicans of Mary Mother of the Eucharist

www.sistersofmary.org

i was just thinking today of how crazy i am. 3 years ago i would never guessed next year i'll be "Sister Ali". and another year who knows what my name'll be. God deff. has a sense of humor. i love it, but i don't know how the heck i got here, ya know?

I'm pretty sure I know who this is :smokey:

TheresaThoma

How do you actually discern? I know you said in prayer... but it just seems like i dont feel like i know how to pray :-/ I know that sounds ridiculus... but i have also been teased that i will become a sister because of my love for christ, but it comes and goes... i want to know what to do! I am 18 and im studying to become a doctor, but deep down i dont feel like that is my calling. How can i really know?

A phrase that I found helpful in discernment is "God deals in the real". Meaning that we can't just sit around and think and pray about our vocation. We have to go do something. Go on a Come and See retreat, spend some time with Sisters. The friend that first told me that phrase is now married, but he spent some time in the seminary. He said that it was only really by taking that leap of faith and going to the seminary that he realized it was not his vocation. 

When you say it comes and goes try to pay attention to what else is going on in your life. I know personally when I'm not as faithful to the sacraments and to prayer I start to doubt my vocation. St Ignatius uses the terms consolation and desolation. Consolation is when you are at peace you feel close to God, prayer comes easily etc. Desolation is when you are pulling away from God, you are frustrated and God seems distant it is difficult to pray. St Ignatius advises to not make decisions during desolation. So if you are going through a time of desolation or a "dry spell" don't try to figure out your vocation then. Persevere and then when you are back in consolation make decisions,