An Old School Catholic Message Board

Midnight Mass Counts Towards Christmas Holy Day Of Obligation?

Paladin D

Does Midnight Mass (night of Christmas Eve) count towards Christmas Day, thus fulfilling the Holy Day of Obligation? Christmas Day lies on a Tuesday this year.

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1436537' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:37 PM']Does Midnight Mass (night of Christmas Eve) count towards Christmas Day, thus fulfilling the Holy Day of Obligation? Christmas Day lies on a Tuesday this year.[/quote]

Why would it not count?

For some reason, I thought Christmas Eve Mass was a separate ordeal, which did not count for Christmas Day.

Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1436628' date='Dec 20 2007, 04:34 PM']Feasts/Sundays begin at First Vespers.

And the day begins at Midnight, so...

Yes.[/quote]

What if the Christmas Eve Mass is not on Midnight, but in the evening? Such as 10pm?

Then, we remember our Jewish ancestors who began each sabbath/feast at sunset of the previous day. It's all good :P (actually, I can't say this is factual, but I welcome the correct answer as much as Paladin)

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1436647' date='Dec 20 2007, 02:54 PM']What if the Christmas Eve Mass is not on Midnight, but in the evening? Such as 10pm?[/quote]

Every Christmas Eve Mass counts towards the obligation. It is the same as Saturday Mass.

[quote name='prose' post='1436654' date='Dec 20 2007, 05:06 PM']Every Christmas Eve Mass counts towards the obligation. It is the same as Saturday Mass.[/quote]

Cool. :)

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='dUSt' post='1436577' date='Dec 20 2007, 03:36 PM']Yeah, that's why you go, so you can play with your presents all day on Christmas.[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1436647' date='Dec 20 2007, 04:54 PM']What if the Christmas Eve Mass is not on Midnight, but in the evening? Such as 10pm?[/quote]
I think it can be as early as 4pm or so.

[quote name='qfnol31' post='1436792' date='Dec 20 2007, 06:18 PM']I think it can be as early as 4pm or so.[/quote]

4:00pm is regarded as the earliest possible time for anticipatory Masses.

incidentally, there are four Masses of Christmas (Vigil, Midnight, Dawn and Day), any one of which would fulfill your obligation.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1436819' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:25 PM']incidentally, there are four Masses of Christmas (Vigil, Midnight, Dawn and Day)[/quote]
Do they each have different readings or prayers?

LOL if a storm is brewing christmas eve that would mean my christmas would start at 3pm on the 24 beucsae it gets dark so fast in the mountians