An Old School Catholic Message Board

Midnight Mass Counts Towards Christmas Holy Day Of Obligation?

Paladin D

elizabeth_jane

Is it just me, or does anyone else think 4:00 is too early? A lot of parishes in my diocese are foregoing Midnight Mass (which I think is a beautiful and important Catholic tradition) to have these early Masses.

Thoughts?

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1437333' date='Dec 21 2007, 10:56 PM']Is it just me, or does anyone else think 4:00 is too early? A lot of parishes in my diocese are foregoing Midnight Mass (which I think is a beautiful and important Catholic tradition) to have these early Masses.

Thoughts?[/quote]

No. The driving is horrible after dark in new england, especially in the mountain regions with the snow. Midnight Mass is a nice thought but its impractical in many regions.

Ash Wednesday

Wow, if midnight mass didn't fulfill the obligation then I'd have been screwed all these years along with the rest of my family because that's the way we always did it.

JMJ
12/22 - Third Saturday in Advent

Technically...TECHNICALLY...[i]any[/i] Mass you attend after 4pm counts for the obligation. I don't know if weddings and funerals are forbidden on Christmas Eve, but TECHNICALLY, if you go to one after 4pm then it counts for your obligation.

Check the British commentary on the CIC for more info.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Era Might' post='1436822' date='Dec 21 2007, 01:36 AM']Do they each have different readings or prayers?[/quote]

Yes. I took a sneak preview this evening. I think the Dawn Mass has got the best selection this year. :)

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1437581' date='Dec 22 2007, 04:41 PM']Yes. I took a sneak preview this evening. I think the Dawn Mass has got the best selection this year. :)[/quote]

Are you motivated to get up and go?? :)

I'll be attending Mass at 10am Christmas Day. I am assuming this will be a "Day" Mass?

I would love to go to Midnight Mass Christmas Eve, but alas I will be on duty. Welcome to the Navy.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1436607' date='Dec 20 2007, 04:03 PM']For some reason, I thought Christmas Eve Mass was a separate ordeal, which did not count for Christmas Day.

Thanks for the heads up.[/quote]

I had been Catholic for hardly 12 hours before hearing that rumor about Easter. Another Catholic tried to tell me that the Easter Vigil Mass I attended the night before didn't count for Easter day, and though I was pretty sure she had no idea what she was talking about, I made sure anyway :) I guess it makes sense for uninformed rumors to get started about the two holy days when most Catholics actually show up to Mass.

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1437333' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:56 PM']Is it just me, or does anyone else think 4:00 is too early? A lot of parishes in my diocese are foregoing Midnight Mass (which I think is a beautiful and important Catholic tradition) to have these early Masses.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I remember back in the 1980s that many parishes in some higher-crime neighborhoods would move their Midnight Mass to 9 or 10 PM, so calling to find out what time Midnight Mass was celebrated was NOT a stupid question!!!

And if you want to talk about early Masses, check out this bulletin - 1:30 afternoon Mass for Christmas Eve!

[url="http://www.holyfamilyparish.org/left/bull_pdf/b122307.pdf"]http://www.holyfamilyparish.org/left/bull_pdf/b122307.pdf[/url]

JMJ
12/23 - Fourth Sunday of Advent

Holy Family in the Chicago archdiocese doesn't count - they're really freakin' weird there.

And if anyone is in southwestern Indiana this Christmastide, and if you want to ruin your Christmas experience, come to Midnight Mass in Washington, Indiana, either at St. Mary's parish (10pm) or St. Simon's (midnight), where yours-truly will be chanting the Epistle.

On the other hand, the Jim Caviezel family (of [i]The Passion of the Christ[/i] fame) will be in attendance at the Midnight Mass at St. Simon's...one of our high school teachers is a good friend of his, so his family is spending Christmas with hers. I'll try to get photo-ey goodness.