An Old School Catholic Message Board

Famous Catholics?

Vincent Vega

Hey everyone,
I was thinking about this after reading the Dean Koontz thread.
How about a list of famous Catholics (of all forms of media - literary, theatrical, musical, political, etc.)?
And I'm not talking about ones who are already extremely well known (Chesterton, Tolkien, etc.), but more modern "stars", such as:
- Steve Carrell (Michael from the US tv series "The Office", star of "Evan Almighty")
- Dean Koontz (As we already know)
- Tom Hanks (Well, he's Orthodox...but I'd still include him)
Do you know of others?
Pax Christi!
-Mitch

Steve Carrell (wasnt he in 40 year old virgin) that was a horrible movie
But il add to the list:
Brett Favre
Kiefer Sutherland (a big amybe, he has Our Lady of Guadalupe on his arm)
Mark Whalberg
Jeb Bush (w's bro.)
Prime Minister Tony Blair
Nickolas Cage
Jack Nicholson
al pacino
Al Roker
Amanda Bynes
Ben Affleck
Stephen Colbert

Haven't such lists of "Catholic celebrities" been made several times in the past on here?

It would probably be more meaningful and productive to give lists of Catholic saints, rather than a list of movie stars, athletes, politicians, etc., many of whose "Catholicism" is dubious at best. (It seems these lists tend to include many who are only nominally Catholic, or "Catholic-in-name-only," and whose public lives are often at odds with the Catholic Faith.)

I'm not saying this to be judgmental of others (I know at times I've hardly been a model of Catholic virtue), but there is something I find a bit disturbing with our current fascination with (often quite trivial) worldly celebrity and fame.

elizabeth_jane

Stephen Colbert
Nicole Kidman (although she was in that horrible Golden Compass!)
Katie Holmes was raised Catholic (not sure what she is now...)

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1440232' date='Dec 30 2007, 11:04 PM']Katie Holmes was raised Catholic (not sure what she is now...)[/quote]
Under Tom Cruise's dominion, she's joined his sick cult of Scientology (Cruise himself was formerly Catholic).

Such people are hardly examples of Catholicism.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1440225' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:50 PM']It would probably be more meaningful and productive to give lists of Catholic saints, rather than a list of movie stars, athletes, politicians, etc., many of whose "Catholicism" is dubious at best.[/quote]
I know this, however there are many sources to find well known saints, not to say that these people are even worthy of comparison to the saints, I was just looking to make some conversation and perhaps get a few, "Hmm, I didn't know"s out of it.
That's all. :)
Goodnight and God bless y'all,
Mitch

MIKOTHEFREAKSHOW

[quote name='uppercut55' post='1440220' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:34 PM']Steve Carrell (wasnt he in 40 year old virgin) that was a horrible movie
But il add to the list:[/quote]

really?!?! i loved that movie... so did many Christians i know.. it definitely promoted chastity before marriage.
in a subtle way.

definitely not in ur face way... but he waited til marriage to make love

Jenna Jameson is Catholic. (fairly seriously too)

And I promise I know that by perfectly innocent means. :)

I'm fairly certain Paris Hilton is too.

(learned that one from an anabaptist)

Ash Wednesday

I understand the objections and the subject does come up from time to time. As a compromise perhaps if people still want to discuss it, posters can offer up prayers for the people being mentioned. There's no harm in that and given the wealth and temptations of fast living they are surrounded by, I think it makes sense to have concern and pray for these souls so much in need of prayer. A famous person being reconciled to the Church would perhaps inspire others.

[img]http://www.edrperformance.com/images/brick.jpg[/img]

LOL....Brick's Catholic??? Hey Father! Where'd you get those vestments, at the toilet store?

Interesting. That would make over half of the "Frat Pack" Catholic if you include him with Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan. Other famous comic screwballs that come from Catholic backgrounds are some of the early SNL/National Lampoon gang: John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, John Candy (I still really miss him in particular!) and in later years Chris Farley.

[url="http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_catholic.html"]http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_catholic.html[/url]
This is an interesting site with a list of some famous people from Catholic backgrounds.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='uppercut55' post='1440220' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:34 PM']Nickolas Cage
Amanda Bynes
Ben Affleck
Stephen Colbert[/quote]
what? I didn't know any of those...

more:
Jim Caviezel :love:
Dane Cook (I guess... everyone in my 9th grade religion class said so)
Patricia Heaton

I know I had more... I think of them later. :)

Ash Wednesday

[img]http://bostonist.com/attachments/boston_caroline/cliff_claven.jpg[/img]

John Ratzenberger. That's right, Cliff Claven! :lol_roll:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1440377' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:35 AM']LOL....Brick's Catholic??? Hey Father! Where'd you get those vestments, at the toilet store?

Interesting. That would make over half of the "Frat Pack" Catholic if you include him with Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan. Other famous comic screwballs that come from Catholic backgrounds are some of the early SNL/National Lampoon gang: John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, John Candy (I still really miss him in particular!) and in later years Chris Farley.[/quote]

I was just watching Anchorman! I love lamp.

I didn't know Chris Farley came from a Catholic background. I feel like watching his motivational speech from SNL now.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1440384' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:54 AM']John Ratzenberger. That's right, Cliff Claven! :lol_roll:[/quote]

Both Cliff & Norm?! That;s awesome! Doesn't Cliff have a cameo role in The Empire Strikes Back?

MIKOTHEFREAKSHOW

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1440377' date='Dec 31 2007, 02:35 AM'][url="http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_catholic.html"]http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_catholic.html[/url]
This is an interesting site with a list of some famous people from Catholic backgrounds.[/quote]

that website link is seriously flawed. bill maher is definitely not catholic, it says he is non practicing, thing is - he isn't catholic at all, he actually is supremely anti-catholic.

you shuold see how many articles come up of how anti catholic he is...

i think he was/is jewish...

who made up that list?!?!