An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's Your Most Embarrassing Moment?

Dave

lol, ok I guess i'll share this one...

Long ago, I was at taekwondo practice, I didn't relize after I took my uniform out of the dryer that a pair of underwear was stuck inside, so while at practice we were lined up doing front snap kicks, then suddenly I kicked and underwear went flying accrouse the room out of the leg of my pantaloons! Oh man was it embaressing...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a really old thread... but I had to top all of you off.It's long, but it's worth reading... Enjoy!

When I was a senior in hs, I applied with the Archdiocese of New Orleans to be Eucharistic Minister at my high school. When I finished attending the class and I was presented with my certificate, there was a sign-up sheet for people who wanted to serve at the Cathedral. So excitedly I signed up and I told my parents and they were thrilled an so proud of me for doing so. (I had previously been going to a Protestant Church with former Catholic friends and my parents were thrilled I had renewed my faith in the Church). I recieved a phone call a day later and I was told to report to the Cathedral 30 minutes before 10am Mass to serve at the next Sunday's. So I showed up at St. Louis Cathedral on Sunday 30 min early and I was all dressed up and really anxious and excited to be a new Eucharistic Minister and also getting to personally meet the archbishop. So I waited and waited and waited and no one was in the rectory and it was like 5 min. before Mass was supposed to start and the Cathedral was jammed packed. There was a special mass that Sunday where the Archbishop was blessing the French Quarter Merchants.

I was nervously pacing b/c no one showed up to tell me what to do and then all of the sudden a deacon barged through the door and said, "are you Mike?" I said "yeah that's me." He asked me why I wasn't dressed, and i told him that I was the Eucharistic Minister, and he said that only priests and deacons are serving as Eucharistic Ministers, "you are the altar server".I had never been an altar boy growing up and I didn't know anything about being an altar boy esp. when a bishop was presiding!!! So I had to take of my coat and tie and shirt and fit into a traditional altar servers outfit, which was way too big, and run out to meet the archbishop and all the priests who were waiting for me. I forgot to grab the procession cross and I had to run back behind the Cathedral into the rectory, grab the cross, and run back out. I was all sweaty and the music had already started by the time I came back around. The archbishop was all decked out, there were two other bishops, about 4 priests, a deacon, and a sweaty altar boy with a robe dragging a train behind him. My parents who were in the front row looked at me really nervously b/c they knew I had no idea what I was doing.

Well it only got worse. Luckily the deacons handled all the bishops needs, w/ him taking of the miter and holding the crosier and all, but the real tragedy happened when it was time for the Archbishop to read to Gospel. I was told to bring him the open book, kneel on one knee in fromt of him, and stay there until the reading was over. Well the cathedra is on a raised platform in front of some tiny steps so it really looks like a throne, and when I went to kneel down, my foot caught on the back of my robe and I fell forward. I knocked the Archbishop of New Orleans off his Cathedra. A deacon caught him before he fell and another priest caught me and the entire cathedral which was jammed packed gave out a huge SIGH. I have never seen my parents look more embarrassed. To make it worse it was a televised mass and everyone made fun of me when I went to school the next day.

Don't sweat the small stuff, there are good reason why it went the way it did... you did your best, and you did well. It's not like you can be blamed for anything, you thought you were going to EM, and the robe being to big was not your fault.

Think of it this way... you made some people smile, and it was a learning experiance. You now know to ask specifics when people call for Church things.

I went to that Cathedral back in May... pretty cool.

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

when I was a little kid I was at my uncle's apartment.. we went outside to play wiffleball.. I leaned up against 1 of the screeen fences and well.... I fell through. I was unhurt though.. and thankfully it happened to be my uncle's apartment window!

Ash Wednesday

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just had the honor of reading this thread for the first time.

I peed my pantaloons in kindergarten, in the library during story hour. But I guess I wasn't embarassed about it. At the time I think I just figured "well, that's what happens sometimes"... :lol: The kids in class didn't really seem to react either.

One time I called my parents because I was in town and my car wouldn't start and I asked if Dad could come into town (we lived out in the country) and jump start the car. He drove in with Mom, and came out to the car, and came back and said, "do you know what was wrong?" I said, "no." He said, "You didn't have the car in park!"

Another time my ex-boyfriend and I were hanging out, at the time we were "just friends" (yeah right) and we went out to the bar and had some drinks. (Our relationship wasn't a very good one and we were really stupid about drinking and probably had a little too much.... I'm really glad those days are long over, btw! so don't get any ideas and DO NOT do what we did, PLEASE!) :( He came back to my apartment and fell asleep on my couch in a sitting position. I woke him up and he made some funny groaning noise and puked water on my couch and floor! (At least it was just water... but still...) I was so mortified, you know where you are embarrassed FOR the person. Here I was running to the bathroom and wiping off his face with some tissues. I do not understand WHY I continued to hold a torch for him, if I was a smart girl I would have dropped him like a bad habit. I guess I was just an idiot at the time. But can you imagine having your date barf on your own couch and floor?! EEEEE!!! :blink:

I've fallen on my butt when practicing kicks in taekwondo... I guess my instructor once had his dobok pantaloons rip up the backside when he went into a horse stance.

:ph34r:

Thanks for all the sympathy and now that I look back on it I'm happy to tell the story b/c a lot of people can find an excuse to laugh. It all turned out ok; I actually remained an altar server there until I went away to college, and I didn't mention that Archbishop Shulte laughed it off when I appologized after mass.

My other really embarrasing moment doing something w/ the Church was when I was about 13 and I was going to Confession with my family before the 4pm Vigil Mass. We were running a little late, and the priest announced he would finish hearing everyone's confession at about 4pm on the dot when it was my turn to go in. My mom, dad, and a few other people were waiting anxiously in line.

(Confession was given in 2 small rooms in the back of the Church, and there is a portable kneeler with a portable screen attached to the top of it. The priests sits on the other side, and the penitent kneels in the front.) Well when I went to kneel down, I leaned too much weight on the front of the confessional and it tipped over and broke on top of the priest's head. It made a really really loud noise and mass had already started. The priest was really nice about it, and he pretended like it didn't hurt him at all, but it probably did. He moved the broken pieces to the side and continued with a back to back confession. Everyone stared at me when I got out too.

well, even though this is a really old thread, i'll add mine anyways. and JuCa can attest to this one, cause she was there, it probably was a lot more funnier to her than it was to me.......

anyways, i'm a big rollarblader, and me, JuCa, and a couple friends of ours were rollarbading downtown. We went up this big hill, and when we got to the top the road just sorta ended, so we decided to "walk" (as best one can when in rollarblades) down this really steep grass hill. The grass was slightly damp, and I was the first one to go down it. However, my rollarblades started to roll, so I actually started to rollarblade, really fast down this grass hill. I was actually doing pretty good too, which was surprising. Well, right at the bottom I hit this little dirt clod. I, of course tripped and landed flat on my face. However, b/c I was going so fast, I knocked the air out of myself, and was really black and blue for a couple of weeks afterwards. But hey, it was funny right? lol :unsure: