An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homosexuals Adopting Children

jasJis

Should ACTIVELY homosexual couples be allowed to adopt children?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, excuse me but i've never been someone to beat around the bush (so to speak)

**laughs at herself**

Good Friday is talking about meeeeeeee and the reason why I stay in the church is because I believe that the church can grow from this neuroses (well, that's what I heard a priest called it the other day)...just think back to the days when interracial marriage was illegal. (well don't think back if you're not old enough...but imagine).

catholic 1: I believe in interracial marriage

catholic 2: Well that's just unnatural!

catholic 1: well I believe that God is cool with it

catholic 2: well God didn't mean for the races to mix and if you don't believe that you don't believe in God or holy Mother Church..blah blah blah

catholic 1: Well I think it will be a challenge for the church but it needs to grow

catholic 2: well look at what will happen to the children? they'll be all confused about their culture..and they need a solid identity and if you have two parents..I mean IT JUST DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT

And some of the racists had things for black women and raped them...and some acted out on children...and some beat people up over it (and of course that's wrong..but of course ppl get mad when people commit abominations)...and some got over it and became tolerance citizens of the church...and some of them died confused about it...and some just stayed silent....

its the same problem instead its sexual minorities instead of racial minorities and the same reason is being used..

because it's just not natural and the children will be confused and blah blah blah...

I mean YES children will be confused just like children were confused about the whole racial thing...and I personally think that it's because parents themselves are still learning about how to make interracial marriage work today..even in a "mostly supportive" society...let alone for homosexuals who have US breathing down their necks.

So they can't have babies...so what? Should we ban parapalegics from getting married too because they were born without the ability to procreate?

oh wait, i hear that's been done before. nevermind.

Free Soul,

Could you please show the Church teaching that banned inter-racial marriage?

My point is not that racism didn't exist, but rather that there was no doctrinal statement (in the Catholic Church) supporting racism, or banning inter-racial marriage.

peace...

Oh I agree it didn't speak out against it formally. It didn't need to, but it did struggle with the issue, and we still do.

I'm just drawing a parallel.

Free Soul,

But interracial and same-sex marriage are not parralell circumstances.

Maybe we should start another thread.

What is your understanding of the Catholic Church's teachings about homosexaulity?

My understanding is that....

it is an abomination

(God doesn't like it)

it is closed to the act of life

(they can't make babies)

it can not be truly unitive

(it just isn't natural because it doesn't fit right because girls are meant to be one way and boys are meant to be another way..there are specific roles for men and women and therefore gender for us doesn't exist)

homosexuals are called to chastity and to bear their cross

(don't do it)

the origins of homosexuality are largely undetermined

(we don't have enough research to say whether it's a choice or not although we'll just say it's a condition that can change that some people can't choose)

Oh speaking of which, there's a question a friend of mine asked one time....it made me laugh, but i'll leave that alone...ppl will just get angry...lol

(and hey! that's just off the top of my head...w/o looking!)

oh and please don't start another thread...I don't like jumping around like that...it's so disjointed when the topics are related anyway.

so why is interracial marriage not parallel?

Interracial marriage is not parallel, because it is not condemned in Scripture, nor is it now or ever condemned by Church teaching. Sexual immorality has been condmned by both for 2000 years.

peace...

imo the church doesn't condemn same-sex activity because it's immoral.

&I don't see how church teaching not existing on the topic of interracial marriage is relevent to the fact that the prohibition of same-sex marriage follows the same logic.

Jake Huether

imo the church doesn't condemn same-sex activity because it's immoral.

&I don't see how church teaching not existing on the topic of interracial marriage is relevent to the fact that the prohibition of same-sex marriage follows the same logic.

What!

FreeSoul. I think it's time for you to a- dust off your Bible and b- dust off your Catechism. The Church SPECIFICALLY condemns same-sex activity because it's immoral! That's the only reason she condemns it. ALL homosexual ACTs are immoral - that is why they are sinfull, and that is why they are condemned by the Church.

And it isn't just to push us around. The Church, guided by God, doesn't make rules for the fun of it. Ask yourself this: Can homosexual sex be anything BUT unhealthy? First and formost, butts are for discarding WASTE! If you are daring enought to fool around with WASTE, than no duh you're gunna get some sort of infection of whatever. Second, but most importantly, there is NO procreation invoved in homosexual sex. It is an act for pure pleasure, nothing more. That is damaging to the soul - because you are teaching yourself to TAKE not to give. You can give pleasure, but there is no instance where you won't recieve pleasure back. Heterosexual sex is giving (not because it "gives" pleasure - but because it gives life!).

On your second statement: The Church doesn't condemn (nor did it EVER) interracial marriage. A man and a woman is what a marriage needs (race does not matter). The reason the Church condemns same-sex marriage is because a family is not built on two men or two women. A family requires a mom and a dad. A child NEEDS both to be raised how God intended.

If God INTENDED for two men to raise a child, we would need to question why He wouldn't have made it possible for two men to HAVE a child together. But they can't. Since two men CAN NOT have a child together, that calls into question whether or not they should raise a child together. Logic would indicate that since it REQUIRES a man and woman to bring a child into the world, it REQUIRES a man and woman to raise a child in the world.

The prohibition of same-sex marriage does NOT follow the same logic. There is no logic in prohibiting interracial marriage. The "logic" that was used (by the government at the time) was that they were "afraid". That isn't LOGIC. The Church on the other hand is not afraid of what will happen with same-sex marriage. She KNOWS what will happen, and it ain't good. The TRUE LOGIC behind the prohibition of same-sex marriage is not fear at all. It is an understanding of the meaning of family, and an understanding that two people of the same sex can NEVER imitate a TRUE FAMILY (mother father child). That isn't fear, it is knowledge. Logic comes from knowledge - not fear. Therfore, the prohibition of interracial marriage was not logical (because it wasn't based on knowledge - it was based on fear). The prohibition of same-sex marriage is based on knowledge - not on fear. It is logical.