An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saints...saints...saints

phivan

I thought it would be nice to find out everyone's ONE favorite saint (one only please) so who's yours?
Now, please allow me to challege you a little...
Can you tell one to three best words about him or her?
How does this saint influence you in your vocation journey? Please include words on the above question :).
Do you know any good Roman catholic website about your saint on the internet/cyberspace?
Thanking you all in advance for your participation--many blessings :)

Let me begin by telling you mine
My ONE 'favorite' saint is St. Paul the Apostle.
My only word for him is 'love'.
His love for Jesus that made him willingly to be anyone to everyone in this world has great impact on my vocation journey. Love doesn't have boundatries...Just love, love, and love; the world can have all it wants--just give us JESUS!
No, I don't know any good Roman catholic website for St Paul. I'm searching for one...

I'm waiting to hear your ONE favorite saint.
In Jesus' love

HeavenlyCalling

I dont know if this counts, but the Archangels. They are signs of God's love, hope for us, and bring joy from heaven. They have influenced my discernment through there intercession, which I am constantly calling upon. I know EWTN has some stuff on them, most of my stuff comes from books though.

I have a few VERY favorite saints (St. John Vianney, St. Therese, St. Joan of Arc), but I have decided that aside from Our Lady St. Joseph is my one favorite.

"Ite Ad Ioseph" are my favorite words about him. It means, "go to Joseph". St. Teresa of Avila often encouraged her sisters to do this.

He has greatly influenced my vocational journey. I was always fond of him before I entered religious life, but I really started to cultivate a devotion to him while I was in the monastery. When I came out, I discerned with some Dominican nuns who really had a great devotion to him also. A month or two after I left the monastery I entrusted my whole vocation to him. He is the patron and procurator of all. I love him!

Saint Louis IX

gallant warrior

He has influenced my journey since one day I will become the king of the U.S. (just kidding :lol: )
Actually I am writing a book about the Great Monarch of prophesy and Saint Louis is sort of an archetype of him. Plus I wrote a prayer to Saint Louis.

Here is a link to an interesting biography written by one of his subjects the Lord of Joinville:

[url="http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/WedLord.html"]http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/WedLord.html[/url]

Long live the King!

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='phivan' post='1446925' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:23 AM']I thought it would be nice to find out everyone's ONE favorite saint (one only please) so who's yours?[/quote]

It was difficult for me to choose, and my answer has surprised even me.

St Peter.

[quote]Now, please allow me to challege you a little...
Can you tell one to three best words about him or her?[/quote]

"I love you." The most important thing that Peter said to Jesus after he encountered Him on the shore of Galilee shortly after the Resurrection.

[quote]How does this saint influence you in your vocation journey? Please include words on the above question :).[/quote]

Peter was hot-headed and impetuous, quick to judge and slow to think his actions through, as we see when he rashly removes the ear of Malchus. He was also far too attuned to others' opinions of him and very attached to his own life, which accounts for his denial of Jesus in the courtyard of the high priest's house. But for all his fears and impulsive moves, Peter was sincere in his searching: "You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God." This 'rock' nearly sank on Galilee because he didn't have enough trust in His Lord - all he knew was that he wanted to go to Him. And that knowledge is all that I have as I try to live out God's will for me. Often I lack trust and hope. However, like Peter, I'm still prepared to get out of the boat - even if I promptly become convinced that I'm about to sink beneath the waves.

[quote]Do you know any good Roman catholic website about your saint on the internet/cyberspace?[/quote]

No.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1446928' date='Jan 17 2008, 03:33 AM']What if ours isn't technically a saint yet?[/quote]

It's okay as long as he/she has greatly influenced you in vocational journey.
Can't wait to see who'll it be :)

Right now I'd have to say St. Margaret of Scotland. She was someone who wanted to be a nun, but ended up marrying a man who needed civilizing. That seems to be the vocational path I have also taken. She inspired everyone with her piousness and charity while also being a wife and mother. One of her children is also a saint, so she must have passed on her faith in a way we all hope we can with our children.

St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face

Simplicity

:love: Words can't describe. She's just too simple, too holy.

She always wished her brothers could've lived longer. And since I've never had a sister, I just feel as though we have this bond between us, like those shared between siblings.

It is no wonder, that after picking out "Communion of Saints" as my devotion for this year, that she was the first to reach out to me. :saint:

I'm a St Therese fan too (hence my name ^_^ )

Words to describe her: LOVES JESUS

I want to be holy like her. She inspires me to live a life of holiness in doing everything for the love of Jesus. I want to love our Lord in the same childlike way that she does so that I can abandon myself to Him and live my life entirely for Him.

Okay then... mine is

Mother Teresa of Calcutta, hopefully future St Teresa of Calcutta.

A few words: love, selflessness, hope

She influences my vocation because she was someone I admired even before I became a Catholic. She is just so giving and loving and even in her times of doubt she always had hope. I hope I can make even a FRACTION of the difference that she did on this world.

A good website: [url="http://www.motherteresa.org/"]http://www.motherteresa.org/[/url]

Edited by Alycin

By His Grace Alone

St. Margaret Mary, Paray-le-Monial Visitation of Holy Mary Monastery

Her sincere humility, gentleness and obedience to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in all things no matter the cost!

[color="#8B0000"]How does this saint influence you in your vocation journey[/color]?
She gave me the courage to continue ito try to find a way to serve Him and Our Lady as a religious in the face of constant rejection and some ridicule.

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
St. Vincent de Paul
St. Louise de Marillac
St. Therese de Lisieux

(oops! more than one)

How do they influence my vocation journey?

Elizabeth Ann Seton is the first native born American saint - her simple life of charity - "to do what is before you" like Vincent and Louise.

The little Flower is my patron saint - I simply love the little way.

Edited by sr_betsy

[quote name='Alycin' post='1447230' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:07 PM']Okay then... mine is

Mother Teresa of Calcutta, hopefully future St Teresa of Calcutta.

A few words: love, selflessness, hope

She influences my vocation because she was someone I admired even before I became a Catholic. She is just so giving and loving and even in her times of doubt she always had hope. I hope I can make even a FRACTION of the difference that she did on this world.

A good website: [url="http://www.motherteresa.org/"]http://www.motherteresa.org/[/url][/quote]
you will appreciate this then
[url="http://www.lovetobecatholic.com/video_568_"]Mother Teresa-Wisdom of Faith[/url]
pax

Edited by EJames2