An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rosaries Turning To Gold?

lifespath

JM + JT

I've been wearing my Miraculous Medal since, say, my freshman year in high school (I'm ending my junior year now).

When my brother bought his senior class ring, the company gave him a free chain with a tiny version of a ring hanging from it. They claim this was to prevent you from losing your expensive ring if you broke up with your girlfriend after giving it to her.

Well, he didn't have a girlfriend, so he just gave me the actual chain to use for my Medal.

It's cheap but it works. I never take it off, and it eventually turned a redish color, I'm assuming because of all the sweating and the showering and such.

It looks nice. A nice color to go along with a nice medal. :) It eventually broke, so I used the chain I got after buying my ring a few months ago. [s]It turned the same color.[/s] Scratch that. Not red; just darker. Hmm... possible miracle for the first chain? :huh:

[s]No miracle though.[/s]

Now, if you get me started on the St. Therese novena, that's another story... (which I might've already shared. :/ I tend to repeat stories.)

Edited by salterrae

HisChildForever

[quote]Now, if you get me started on the St. Therese novena, that's another story... (which I might've already shared. :/ I tend to repeat stories.)[/quote]

I would like to hear it =]

I have two prayer cards to St. Therese but they are both slightly different versions. One is a short prayer, followed by 5 Our Father's, 5 Hail Mary's, and 5 Glory Be's, to be said 5 straight days before 11am, and the last day you say 5 extra Our Father's, etc. The other prayer card is just a prayer, where in the middle you state your intention(s), and this runs 9 days. I like the first one better, but I have used the second one and still saw the rose.

CatherineM

Beads respond to UV. It could be the upper beads get more sunlight, but it might be that the UV is blocked by the strip at the top of the windshield. They lower beads get less sunlight, but more UV. It could also be a tap on the shoulder.

JM + JT

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1542028' date='May 25 2008, 06:28 PM']I would like to hear it =][/quote]
Well, last summer my family was invited to go to Los Angeles, California for one of the Carmelite Sister's Jubilee celebration. We were invited to stay at their motherhouse, a beautiful place which included a retreat house where we slept.

After a beautiful time, we headed down to San Diego, CA to visit some family. Well, looking through one of our bags I found a tiny pamphlet with a picture of St. Therese on the front. It was about the novena to her. I thought, and later found out to be true, that one of my brothers had picked it up while we were at the motherhouse.

So I decided to pray it, and said the 24 Glory Be's every day thanking God for St. Therese, even at the beach one day. And I even requested a rose from her, as the pamphlet told of the man who first began this novena receiving a red and white rose on two separate occasions after requesting them from the Saint.

Well, on the night before we were going to head home, I had a very interesting and unexpected conversation with two of my younger cousins whose house we were staying at. They wanted to know everything I knew about Catholicism (they were Catholic). When I brought up the Rosary, one of them rushed to their room to bring one. It was in a small round case and was the kind that was sprayed with a rose scent. Very beautiful. I made nothing of it, though, until I went to bed and was beginning the night's novena and realized that it was a ROSE SCENT! And then I remembered that the cover of the case had Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. I was shocked!

And if I remember correctly, it was the fourth day, and the prayer pamphlet said the man who first began this novena, received the rose he requested from St. Therese on the fourth day.

I had a most beautiful trip home, totally unafraid of the airplane trips home. :)

I for one would not trade my rosary for all the gold in the world.

Great stories everyone. This is the first time I've heard of such things.

HisChildForever

[quote name='salterrae' post='1543384' date='May 26 2008, 01:40 PM']JM + JT
Well, last summer my family was invited to go to Los Angeles, California for one of the Carmelite Sister's Jubilee celebration. We were invited to stay at their motherhouse, a beautiful place which included a retreat house where we slept.

After a beautiful time, we headed down to San Diego, CA to visit some family. Well, looking through one of our bags I found a tiny pamphlet with a picture of St. Therese on the front. It was about the novena to her. I thought, and later found out to be true, that one of my brothers had picked it up while we were at the motherhouse.

So I decided to pray it, and said the 24 Glory Be's every day thanking God for St. Therese, even at the beach one day. And I even requested a rose from her, as the pamphlet told of the man who first began this novena receiving a red and white rose on two separate occasions after requesting them from the Saint.

Well, on the night before we were going to head home, I had a very interesting and unexpected conversation with two of my younger cousins whose house we were staying at. They wanted to know everything I knew about Catholicism (they were Catholic). When I brought up the Rosary, one of them rushed to their room to bring one. It was in a small round case and was the kind that was sprayed with a rose scent. Very beautiful. I made nothing of it, though, until I went to bed and was beginning the night's novena and realized that it was a ROSE SCENT! And then I remembered that the cover of the case had Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. I was shocked!

And if I remember correctly, it was the fourth day, and the prayer pamphlet said the man who first began this novena, received the rose he requested from St. Therese on the fourth day.

I had a most beautiful trip home, totally unafraid of the airplane trips home. :)[/quote]

That is amazing, thanks for sharing :)

Totus Tuus

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1458042' date='Feb 8 2008, 10:42 PM']"By their fruits you will know them." I have seen many people return to the Church because of Medjegore. Does the devil work against himself?[/quote]

I don't think it's right for either side (those who promote and those who write off Medjugore) to say that their opinion is definitive or correct. Both sides have valid arguments but the fact is that the Magisterium cannot make a judgment on the matter until the so-called apparitions cease and the case can be investigated. It's futile to argue that M. is authentic [i]or[/i] that it is a made-up lie, or anything in between. We should just wait on Rome. At least, that's how I see it, and I know tons of people who are on both sides of the debate.

• 5 years later...

I just had my rosary turn gold over the weekend.   Last month I was just reading about Medjugorje and I started obsessing on it. I wrote on my calendar for Sept 1 that the next apparition was supposed to be at 10:40 am Chicago time.  My note read, get on knees 20 min before apparition time and begin  the rosary.  I had two specific intentions that I happened to be praying about.  About half way thru the rosary I noticed the links were gold.   My girlfriend from work had told me a gold rosary story from Medjugorje involving her grandmother.   She had told me the previous month when I was obsessing over it.  I said:  I say my rosary every night.  At least I start one, until I fall asleep.  I went home that night and my sterling silver rosary was still sterling silver.  It only changed this weekend.  I did what my note on my calendar said:  20 min before apparition time I got on my knees and started my rosary.  I was deep into it when I noticed the links were gold.

Edited by mburg04

One of the sisters I interviewed told me a story of her mother's rosary, which turned from silver to gold in a single car ride, as she was praying it.

• 10 months later...

My rosary has turned gold!  It was my First Communion rosary that sat in it's black pouch for years and years.  I started praying the rosary

"In response to Mary's call" from Medjugorje.  I was never expecting it, I just started saying it, when one day I noticed that it was starting to

turn gold in various places on the chain, the crucifix.  It was a gradual change.  It did NOT happen overnight.  However, the strangest thing has happened also.  The silver backing of the wooden cross that holds Christ ~ stayed silver.  The little oval stamped "made in Italy" medallion has stayed silver also!  I can't understand why.  Until I looked closer.  On the back of the Crucifix, the silver part that did NOT change, had the stamp "ITALY" on it.  The same for the medallion that was dangling from the chain ~ "Made in Italy".  I'm wondering if "Italy" has anything to do with it.  Perhaps heaven is not happy with Italy? Or the fact that it was communist?  Or the bad things that happen there today?  I'm not certain.

Wow these are really cool stories! I had never heard of this phenomena before. Do you think they just changed color or were actually turned to gold? A simple test could show that...

I have had this on a few medals, rosaries and crucifixes. my idea is that most are a cheap goldish base metal which is then plated with a nicer metal. when the coating wears off, like if you are using it alot, or wearing it against skin where it will mix with sweat and rub off, then the coating comes off and it goes gold.

i would therefore be surprised if e.g. a wooden or glass one went to gold.

Ash Wednesday

My rosary has turned gold!  It was my First Communion rosary that sat in it's black pouch for years and years.  I started praying the rosary

"In response to Mary's call" from Medjugorje.  I was never expecting it, I just started saying it, when one day I noticed that it was starting to

turn gold in various places on the chain, the crucifix.  It was a gradual change.  It did NOT happen overnight.  However, the strangest thing has happened also.  The silver backing of the wooden cross that holds Christ ~ stayed silver.  The little oval stamped "made in Italy" medallion has stayed silver also!  I can't understand why.  Until I looked closer.  On the back of the Crucifix, the silver part that did NOT change, had the stamp "ITALY" on it.  The same for the medallion that was dangling from the chain ~ "Made in Italy".  I'm wondering if "Italy" has anything to do with it.  Perhaps heaven is not happy with Italy? Or the fact that it was communist?  Or the bad things that happen there today?  I'm not certain.

Or it might just be natural causes. I can think of a lot of places that make heaven unhappy, not just Italy...

Cool thread...enjoyed seeing my posts from 2008.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

littlesister

A friend of ours was convinced that cases of items turning gold were the result of over-active imaginations.  On the flight back from Medjugorje, her own rosary turned gold as she held it.  She took it to a jeweler on arriving home, to learn that the chain was not only gold, but solid 14-caret gold.  This happened quite some time ago, and it is still gold.

Ash Wednesday

I tend to be skeptical of the ones that change gold gradually. But in some cases when it's a sudden change during a spiritual experience I'm willing to have a more open mind about it. I think what's most important isn't the phenomenon itself but perhaps what such an event may be trying to tell us if it's reminding us to pray.