An Old School Catholic Message Board

"such A Waste"

When my cousin became a Capuchin one of the family elders tried to convince him not to do so: you're a handsome guy - the world could be your oyster.

He said, "the world WILL be my oyster when I'm doing what I'm called to do within it."

Then the family member said, "but it's an UNNATURAL LIFE!"

And he said, "you're right. It's supernatural."

For a while he was called "Fr. Whatawaste" by some in the family (I admired him; he never ever lost his serene sense).

Don't know if that helps at all.

johnnydigit

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1471460' date='Feb 29 2008, 03:58 PM']"Yes, because God only calls the horribly ugly and terribly stupid to the religious life! Oh, and they must be homosexual as well, because why else would they want to be a celibate!"[/quote]

LOL. i'm surprised he didn't add "flamboyantly" before "homosexual".

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1471562' date='Feb 29 2008, 06:28 PM']When my cousin became a Capuchin one of the family elders tried to convince him not to do so: you're a handsome guy - the world could be your oyster.[/quote]

ya that makes me sad as well - for them.. which in turn makes me sad.

when i see abnormally attractive religious, it makes me admire them and God even more. one in this situation often feels alone inside or outside the cloister..

[quote name='29908' post='1471095' date='Feb 29 2008, 01:54 AM']When you tell people that you are considering becoming some type of religious, do they ever tell you it will be such a waste???

"You are so pretty, becoming a nun would be such a waste"

"That's a waste of good genes"

"Why would you want to do that with your life and waste it?"

What do y'all tell people?[/quote]
By any chance, did men ask you these things? I guess women would say the same thing, but I'm just saying... maybe they're jealous? Take heart, though. There is nothing wrong with seeking a vocation that requires celebacy if you're quite "attractive". There is no "waste" of [attractive] genes (seems to be what they're getting at). Everyone is immensely beautiful when it comes to the beatific vision. In other words, wait till ya get to heaven... everyone is pure and perfected according to God's standards, not some human opinions.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1471611' date='Feb 29 2008, 10:06 PM']Everyone is immensely beautiful when it comes to the beatific vision. In other words, wait till ya get to heaven... everyone is pure and perfected according to God's standards, not some human opinions.[/quote]

awwwwwwww.

Yes, I know what you mean. So many people I know seem to think that the religious life is a waste. It came up in a conversation with a friend the other day - probably a mistake to mention it! - and her response was very similar to what you've experienced. She actually finds it "disgusting", not just sad or a waste! I try to explain, but often it seems that it doesn't make any difference, if they've already made their mind up.

I have to say, I really like some of the replies that have been mentioned here =]

Edited by HannahM

johnnydigit

i think i may have even gotten to the point of arrogance (not vocally, just internally), like responding to a child scoffing at the notion of an adult working for a living, or at calculus and the uselessness of using "letters" for numbers! just pretend to roll your eyes.. pray for them.. let out a sigh.. maybe if they want a sincere answer you can explain it sometime.. ya, these sound more humble than the former. they just don't know any better.

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1472800' date='Mar 3 2008, 03:41 AM']i think i may have even gotten to the point of arrogance (not vocally, just internally), like responding to a child scoffing at the notion of an adult working for a living, or at calculus and the uselessness of using "letters" for numbers! just pretend to roll your eyes.. pray for them.. let out a sigh.. maybe if they want a sincere answer you can explain it sometime.. ya, these sound more humble than the former. they just don't know any better.[/quote]

I think that a defusing statement such as, "Well, it's not for everyone..." might end the conversation without arrogance or finger-pointing.

I was told by someone a while ago that I was throwing my life away considering being a nun. And she also asked me why I would want to choose such a life of suffering and unhappiness. I responded that I would want nothing more than to suffer with my heavenly spouse and bring myself closer to Him. I'd be in complete ecstasy to be able to be brought to such an intimate bond with my savior. She also favored women priests and believed being a nun was degrading to a woman. Quite the contrary! I couldn't express to her how wrong she was.

I say it has absolutely nothing to do with your appearance that determines your vocation. I can't understand why people assume that all nuns are ugly. I've seen some gorgeous women in some orders, and it's all because of the graces God is pouring out to them and because they are happy to be doing what God has asked of them. Praise God! Props to all holy consecrated women. We should all follow their example, whether married to a brother in Christ or married to Christ Himself, no one should be exempt.

*shuffles feet* I guess I'm pretty passionate on this subject :unsure: Hope it helps.

God Bless,
~kathryn