An Old School Catholic Message Board

Terribly Disillusioned

Guest CruxOfTheMatter

Guest CruxOfTheMatter

Hmm...perhaps I should. Though in that particular house where that happened, there were only 3 other men besides the superior, so it wasn't too much work for him and they were good at accomplishing stuff when they had guidance. They just needed...direction, I guess. Needed to be told what to do in order to make a decision, but once told they carried it out thoroughly. They just couldnt take charge themselves, a lot of hand-wringing and hesitating. And the superior, honestly, seemed to like having such "docile" men. Thought it was very conducive to religious life, which I suppose it is...but that's taking "docility" and "giving up your own will" a little far, if you ask me.

Edited by CruxOfTheMatter

[quote name='CruxOfTheMatter' post='1471488' date='Feb 29 2008, 07:22 PM']Hmm...perhaps I should. Though in that particular house where that happened, there were only 3 other men besides the superior, so it wasn't too much work for him and they were good at accomplishing stuff when they had guidance. They just needed...direction, I guess. Needed to be told what to do in order to make a decision, but once told they carried it out thoroughly. They just couldnt take charge themselves, a lot of hand-wringing and hesitating. And the superior, honestly, seemed to like having such "docile" men. Thought it was very conducive to religious life, which I suppose it is...but that's taking "docility" and "giving up your own will" a little far, if you ask me.[/quote]

That sounds so totally Aspergers it's not funny. If they haven't been tested, it would be inhumane not to do so.

If the superior seems to enjoy it--that gives me cause to pause.

Please--write the letter. Or, better yet, report it to the Vicar for Religious of the diocese.

Blessings,
Gemma

Guest CruxOfTheMatter

Yes, I suppose I should.

But I'm not sure they'd want to get tested. The superior didn't "enjoy" it as if enjoying them suffering. He was just proud to have men who he saw as very meek and docile and monkish. And I dont think any of them would see it as a problem. They've found a niche where it is a pro for them, not a con. Combined together, they function quite efficiently in a way that none could alone. They'd probably just say different strokes for different folks...which I guess is true. Like I said, where society would dismiss such men as "problematic"...they'd simply view themselves as different, and as having found a place where those different gifts can be used, I suppose.

Crux, I only have this to add:

I read your post and felt a huge push at my back with a strong SEND HIM THIS:

[url="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8171084741768325516&q=the+paulist+fathers&pr=goog-sl"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=81...&pr=goog-sl[/url]

Paulist Priests. I know nothing else about them than this video. But they seem to be the sort of dynamic, cheerful group you're seeking!

I'll pray for you!