An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus And Lifeteen

LivinTabernacle

LivinTabernacle

Let me first start off saying that if it's weren't for Lifeteen and my Core, i would just be another cradle Catholic that didn't even know what the Eucharist means. But recently there has been alot of discussion around the fact of teens on the altar. The problem stems from the fact, of what little i know of the subject, that there is something called the Jesus bubble, for lack of a better term. This is a space around the atlar that not even Altar Servers are allowed to enter, especially during the consecration.

I personally love being on the altar, but the reason for that is because i know what's about to happen, and because of that i can fully appreciate the fact that i can be on the altar during this daily miracle. But when i see my fellow teens talking, not paying attention, doing whatever, i feel hurt because they don't really grasp what's going on.

For the longest time, this has been one of the reasons why Lifeteen has not been such a widely accepted program. They ignore the fact of amesome lifenights and great fellowship with teens of our own age, but instead look at this one act and want to throw it away. And i ask myself, what would we truly lose if we took that part away from Lifeteen?

I'm not saying to completely forgo coming up near the altar, i'd be 100% behind coming near the steps and even then being able to kneel during the consecration. That would help alot in my opinion. I mean, we're Catholic first, not Lifeteeners. Shouldn't we try our best to give Him the most respect he deserves? I dunno, any opinions would be great, references too or expierences in your own parishes.

Chrysologus

My parish at school has Wednesday night masses where we gather around the altar, although they aren't LifeTeen. I don't like it because we're not supposed to do that, but they are worse things in the world. I don't think most of my fellow Catholics there know the fundamentals of the faith.

i love it. I don't know what I'll do when I have my last lifeteen mass as a youth on next sunday. Like being on the altar is the greatest....that's as close to God as I can get....like physically......so when people disrespect it b/c they don't know what it is....it kills me b/c it's like they're mocking me & what I belive in. I don't ever know what to do....7 I don't know how to feel about them.

Dear Life teeners,

Hello there. I used to be involved with Life Teen when I lived in Fort Wayne and one of my best friends just brought life teen here to St. Marys and Notre Dame. The program (if that term is ok) is wonderful. I do not know the basics and/or the fundamentals for a lifeteen group to be LifeTeen. When people surround around the altar, it is distracting to others. I know it is their decision to come to the altar, too, but at the Mass I attended, only teens were invited to come to the altar. As far as I know, people surrounding the altar is not supposed to happen. Personally, I do not understand it. I never felt a difference between standing and kneeling in the pew to doing the same 40 feet closer to the altar. Over all, it should not really matter. You have priests who will mumble through the words in the liturgy and those who will sing away. What is taking place does not change. I would never want to prefer one priest over the other because the more lively one gives me a better experience or make me feel better.

Also, I think that the teen mass scheduled should not be a Sunday Service. In Fort Wayne, every teen who used to attend with their family in the morning, now went during the evening without their family.

(If need be, please excuse me for being dumb, big-headed, and ignorant)

Sincerely in faith, love, and hope,

Francis

Gods Grace,

You are the closest to Jesus when you comsume him, not during the prayer of consecration. And when Lifeteen masses end, I know you will miss them but you should get just as excited at every mass because Jesus is present at every mass regardless of how it makes you feel. That is the great thing about being Catholic.

cmotherofpirl

Nobody is allowed around the altar during Mass, not even the EEMs until after the Consecration when they come up to prepare to give out Communion.

littleflower+JMJ

yeah, no matter where your at, there is nothing that wil beat the closeness of Christ when you recieve the eucharist, i don't think standing by the altar compares to when we recieve him, so it doesn't matter where you are, Jesus is there....

what irks me is that altar standing, and during the consecration part, geez, thats crazy, my priest would never allow that, not to mention for good reason, (for what cmom said)....i'm sorry but thats what irks me, but i've never had to encounter it , yet...... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

but i do realize how LIfeteen is a good program or what have you....in most cases that is... :unsure:

Yours Truly

As a fellow Lt-er who is a member of the same parish as Living Tabernacle. Gathering on the alter has always been a mystery to me as to why we do it at all. And i don't really think it is neccisary for lifeteen itself. Esspeccially recently i've been wondering about it and i know it has been brought up with the core team.

The decision is to wait until our new bishop is bishopized (i just had school, i can't think right now) and then whatever his decision, we will abide by it.

-Yours Truly

three-n-one

Why would the bishops and even the Pope (World Youth Day) not make the gathering around the altar stop if it is against the faith/teachings?

~Patient endurance is the perfec6tion of charity

Chrysologus

There's no way gathering around the altar could invalidate the sacrament. If the celebrant's intention is to say Mass and he has the proper elements, then the Mass is valid.

hyperdulia again

after re-reading the document, i discovered that to actually change the mass from illicit to invalid the un-ordained persons have to think they are co-consecrating.

LivinTabernacle

yea, definitely not us. But actually, standing is not the worst. When Jesus comes, you either stand, kneel or prostrate. The problem is being around the altar in the Jesus bubble. Has no one heard that term before?

Chrysologus

That makes more sense. I would think that as long as one validly ordained person is officiating, it would still be valid, but I'm no sacramental theologian.

Why would the bishops and even the Pope (World Youth Day) not make the gathering around the altar stop if it is against the faith/teachings?

Yes, this is what I don't understand. If gathering around the altar is so bad, why doesn't the pope stop it?? I've been told many times the the pope likes Lifeteen...and the gathering thing is a big part of the Lifeteen mass. He obviously knows about it and must think its ok.