An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus And Lifeteen

LivinTabernacle

Nippy, what do you think about it?...I mean I think it's amazing that we get the opportunity to SHARE something like that with the priests,....Like in our church, (ya know Nippy! NATviTY!!!) it's something most of the people appreciate. Like when other churches come, they think it's either cool or not cool!...I only like it b/c I feel the bond with God & Jesus gets closer. I know that when I recieve the Eucharist I'm the closest I can get with Jesus, but that's not what I'm talking about.....I'm talking about physically.....likereaching out for him, touching him kind of thing.....it's just weird & difficult to explain....

cmotherofpirl

As a fellow Lt-er who is a member of the same parish as Living Tabernacle.  Gathering on the alter has always been a mystery to me as to why we do it at all.  And i don't really think it is neccisary for lifeteen itself.  Esspeccially recently i've been wondering about it and i know it has been brought up with the core team. 

The decision is to wait until our new bishop is bishopized (i just had school, i can't think right now) and then whatever his decision,  we will abide by it.

-Yours Truly

It is not up to the individual Bishop, he cannot change the Mass. The National Council of Bishops says its wrong, then its wrong.

Do you obey a bishop or the Church?

The Catholic Church says it is illicit, therefore it is.

Again, why doesn't the pope stop it??

If it's so illicit, JPII has some say in it.

The man (pope) has quite a schedule. There may be documents about it, I am not sure. But if it is against the liturgical practice (correct term?), then it be illicit.

Francis

cmotherofpirl

Again, why doesn't the pope stop it??

If it's so illicit, JPII has some say in it.

THere are one billion CAtholics, there is one Pope.

He might be a little busy.

cmotherofpirl

The GIRM is the Church document that regulates the Mass.

My diocese has it online at diopitt.org

If that doesn't work I will copy it for you.

Nippy and others in the Diocese of St. Petersburg,

I wrote to Mary Jo Murphy, the Director of Communications for the Diocese about this (she's also the host of Catholic Factor Apologetics on Spirit FM and knows everyone). She sent me contact information and forwarded it to the Diocesan Director of Worship and Diocesan Director of Youth Ministries. This was only a few days ago. I heard back from Bro. McGeehan, DDYM.

He told me that allowing the teen gather is one of the things that is permitted for the Bishop to allow within the GIRM. As you know, we only approach so far, and do not come as close as the priests so as to not be mistaken as co-celebrants. This is only permitted as part of the LifeTeen program because to do so it also requires proper teaching and explanation. Our Bishop definetely knows what we do as he has attended the LifeTeen Mass at Nativity. He was not a real big fan when permission for the LT program was first requested, but Ben has put together and exemplary program (which is why we are a Hub parish now and he has allowed a few more LT programs within the Diocese). One of the big Keys is the fruit of this practice. Bro. McGeehan also pointed out since this is allowed only at the LT mass, parishioners have plenty of other masses they can attend if they find it distractive.

Others may disagree, but I am completely satisfied that our priests, and Bishop are allowing a deviation, but within the guidelines and restrictions alloted to the Authority of the local Bishop. Keep in mind, the Bishop has to approve every LifeTeen program and the Bishop sets the guidelines at every parish. That's why some visitors from other programs have the Altar Gather like we do, others do it with kneeling, and others, not at all. It is up to the Bishop who reviews the circumstances of every parish in his Dioceses that requests to start a LifeTeen program.

Edited by jasJis