An Old School Catholic Message Board

Youth Ministry Coord 101

N/A Gone

[quote name='Raphael' post='1495067' date='Apr 8 2008, 06:08 PM']We ate pizza last Sunday. This weekend, we shall eat pizza again. Youth ministry is a glorious, fattening thing![/quote]

My teens are infatuated with Moes. For those who don't know, it's a burrito place. It's right by their school and they meet there a bunch of times during the week, specifically on Wednesdays. I head down there to do some relational ministry with a few of my CORE and Jr. CORE and then we go do our adoration/praise & worship night afterwards.

Pretty neat stuff. We called it Bangin' Burrito Day.

[quote name='kujo' post='1495071' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:13 PM']My teens are infatuated with Moes. For those who don't know, it's a burrito place.[/quote]

Yuck! I'm not saying that just because I'm pregnant either. They are just too bland for me!

[quote name='StColette' post='1495072' date='Apr 8 2008, 06:17 PM']Yuck! I'm not saying that just because I'm pregnant either. They are just too bland for me![/quote]

Really? I love their queso. Get a Joey with steak, pinto beans, lettuce, pico, jalapeno, hot sauce, coagulated milk and then get some of that spicy salsa. You are MONEY!

When are you due?

Edited by kujo

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StColette' post='1495072' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:17 PM']Yuck! I'm not saying that just because I'm pregnant either. They are just too bland for me![/quote]
Yeah, I had their food when I lived in Omaha and it seemed good, but between cajun food and the stuff our Guatemalan rectory-housekeeper makes at my parish, it is pretty bland.

Chipotle is better.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kujo' post='1495073' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:20 PM']Really? I love their queso. Get a Joey with steak, pinto beans, lettuce, pico, jalapeno, hot sauce, coagulated milk and then get some of that spicy salsa. You are MONEY!

When are you due?[/quote]
The told me the queso was the blandest thing they had.

She's due Nov. 4th. Of course, that's election day...so, it may be a mixed-blessing of a day...

:P jk

[quote name='kujo' post='1495073' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:20 PM']When are you due?[/quote]

Nov. 4th

lol

yeah I can't stand their food after growing up with the spicy stuff that I had when I was younger lol

[quote name='Raphael' post='1495076' date='Apr 8 2008, 06:22 PM']Yeah, I had their food when I lived in Omaha and it seemed good, but between cajun food and the stuff our Guatemalan rectory-housekeeper makes at my parish, it is pretty bland.

Chipotle is better.[/quote]

Dude, Chipotle is lame-o-rama. It's like a half step above Qdoba!

(wow...if only the teens knew what YMs talk about "afterhours")

Can you get your Guatamalan rectory-housekeeper to send me to cajun food? I love that stuff. My uncle lives in 'Nawlins and makes some pretty dope gumbo!

I think it's cute that you guys are both participating on this thread at the same time. Are ya'll in the same room?

Congratulations on your baby. I will pray for your pregnancy!

Mind you, Moes won't clear your nostrils or anything, but it's pretty good as far as southwestern American food goes.

Now, if you wanna talk about some good food, you gotta mention Outback...but YMs can't be affordin' no bloomin' onions!

[quote name='kujo' post='1495085' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:29 PM']I think it's cute that you guys are both participating on this thread at the same time. Are ya'll in the same room?[/quote]

lol we are in seperate rooms well towns even! lol We both work for two different parishes lol He's the YM at one and I'm the receptionist (thank goodness because Pregnancy + being a YM would kill me) at another parish.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='prose' post='1494885' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:16 AM']Now, I find that many people are so thankful about having me. I am thanked by parents, by youth, by teachers, by priests. I don't find it thankless at all (of course, this could just be luck for me). I have plenty of thank you cards, or gifts from people thanking me. It is humbling to accept them too.[/quote]
Yes, it is very humbling! God knows our needs, though, and knows we sometimes need confirmations like these that we are in His will. Someone else said the complaints outnumber the thanks 10 to 1, and if that's the case, it really makes the thanks all the more precious. All glory to God.

[quote name='prose' post='1494885' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:16 AM']I know what people are saying about ministry being lots of hours, but there are lots of "down times" too. There are several times when there is a week with little to plan, so I can recharge. Yes, retreats and things take 20 hours plus in a weekend, but I am careful to have personal time too.

It is really about balance.[/quote]
Completely agree.

[quote name='kujo' post='1494970' date='Apr 8 2008, 01:35 PM']Wow.

Again, you are coming off as kind of insulting. The exhaustion that I and others have spoken of is physical, not emotional or spiritual. In fact, I am one of those people who is oddly pumped up at the mass after a retreat weekend. I'm the guy in the back row of the parish, with my flip-flops and retreat t-shirt, unshaven face, rings under his eyes, and raspy voice, clapping and singing along with the songs. Retreats, no matter whether I was serving on or being served, always get me pumped up. Maybe it's delirium! :lol_roll: Still, after waiting for all the teens to leave, closing up and locking down the youth room, getting into my van and driving home, I find myself sleeping like an infant.

Anyway, while I am sure that you are not intentionally doing so, you are making it seem that being tired is somehow a suggestion that we are not *meant* to be Youth Ministers. It's probably just a communication problem, like my honest (not negative) tone. It's not a glamorous position, but it is a wonderful blessing in my life to be serving God in this capacity. I wish I had more time and energy to devote to my ministry, but we have to minister to ourselves sometimes, paying homage to what my college priest referred to as "Our Lady of the Pillow."[/quote]
Sorry, don't mean to come off as insulting.

[quote name='StColette' post='1494987' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:00 PM']even our Priests need retreats from the daily grind of their ministries so that they can better serve their flocks.[/quote]
Absolutely, which is why i said what i did about making a priority out of relationship with Jesus. As prose said, it is about balance.

[quote name='kujo' post='1494999' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:15 PM']I hope that the FIDES person who has been stirring the pot doesn't feel like we're attacking her, though.[/quote]
Not at all.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kujo' post='1495083' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:25 PM']Dude, Chipotle is lame-o-rama. It's like a half step above Qdoba!

(wow...if only the teens knew what YMs talk about "afterhours")

Can you get your Guatamalan rectory-housekeeper to send me to cajun food? I love that stuff. My uncle lives in 'Nawlins and makes some pretty dope gumbo![/quote]
The Guatemalan makes Guatemalan food. The locals make Cajun food.

It's good stuff.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StColette' post='1495086' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:31 PM'](thank goodness because Pregnancy + being a YM would kill me)[/quote]

...or whomever tried to tell you how to do your job...

Just a warning to y'all

I gave a presentation today to our church's women's ministry group. After my presentation a woman came up to me and asked if I was her youth minister

From 20 years ago

yeah