An Old School Catholic Message Board

Young Adult Minister?

fides quarens intellectum

So...

My pastor has asked me to write the job description and apply for a new part-time position he's creating,

"Young Adult Minister"

:yahoo:

that's right - i was asked to write the job description for my dream job. :love:

i'm just curious - is anyone else out there a young adult minister at a parish? i've been a youth minister before, but this is a bit different. Praise God!

I remember the young adult minister at my parish, back when I was a young adult, saying that the main difference is that in youth ministries, you try to keep the kids apart, and with young adult, you are trying to get them together. I think I would add something about knowledge of theology of the body in the job description. Also trying to engage young adults in the church by engaging them in the ministries. I joined the ACCW when I was 26, and the next oldest member was probably 56. After I joined, many more 30-40 somethings joined. Young adults need to know what they can do. Nothing wrong with training them to be sacrastins or altar servers.

OUr diocese has one who is also a YM at a local parish.

She does a great job. With theology on Tap, retreats and more service projects, its being well received!!!

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1494574' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:23 PM']I remember the young adult minister at my parish, back when I was a young adult, saying that the main difference is that in youth ministries, you try to keep the kids apart, and with young adult, you are trying to get them together. I think I would add something about knowledge of theology of the body in the job description. Also trying to engage young adults in the church by engaging them in the ministries. I joined the ACCW when I was 26, and the next oldest member was probably 56. After I joined, many more 30-40 somethings joined. Young adults need to know what they can do. Nothing wrong with training them to be sacrastins or altar servers.[/quote]

That's a cool way to look at it - that's cute! yes, i don't have to call out "No purple!" to a group of young adults. Really neat that you guys had a young adult minister!

Right on with the Theology of the Body - i am so excited - i'm going to the TOB Institute next month for more in-depth training.

What is ACCW?

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1494577' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:25 PM']OUr diocese has one who is also a YM at a local parish.

She does a great job. With theology on Tap, retreats and more service projects, its being well received!!![/quote]

Praise God! So she is the young adult minister for the whole diocese AND a parish YM? Crazy! When does she sleep? i'm just facing one parish!

We have TOT here, and the speakers have to be approved by the diocese.

ACCW-Archdiocesan Council of Catholic Women. The old ladies who bake the cakes and clean the church (sometimes).

sorry - i didn't mean to send just a bump -

does this mean none of you guys are young adult ministers? i was hoping to find someone else on Phatmass. :( oh, well.

I am a youth minister, but if you would like, we have a young adult coodinator in the diocese I can put you into contact with.

I have worked closely with him in the past, so I could probably tell you what he does if you want.

I run a youth ministry, and I am slowly expanding it to young adults. I'll let you know how that goes :)

• 1 month later...

Just want to say - Thanks for the prayers.

i was hired as the new PT Young Adult Minister this morning.

Now, if i can only figure out to do as a new second job to replace the 20-25 hour position i already have! :hehe:

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1499085' date='Apr 14 2008, 10:26 AM']sorry - i didn't mean to send just a bump -

does this mean none of you guys are young adult ministers? i was hoping to find someone else on Phatmass. :( oh, well.[/quote]
I was a YM and I was a yound adult minister for a very very short period of time.

Deus te Amat

Yay! Congratulations!

The associate pastor at my parish has created a young adult group. I attended my first meeting this week, and he does a pretty good job. :twist:

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1569536' date='Jun 12 2008, 10:27 AM']Just want to say - Thanks for the prayers.

i was hired as the new PT Young Adult Minister this morning.
Now, if i can only figure out to do as a new second job to replace the 20-25 hour position i already have! :hehe:[/quote]

AWESOME!!!!!!

Thy Geekdom Come

I'm not a young adult minister, but there are some major benefits to that type of ministry, including greater flexibility. You won't need to get forms signed, you can all meet up for events instead of taking a bus or something, you can go to various restaurants and bars, and you will generally get more interest because most young adults who get involved in their parishes want to be involved, whereas many youth who are involved are pressured by their parents to be.

You might consider a Bible study and a discipleship system similar to FOCUS' dynamic.

I dunno man. The YA ministry at my old parish was pretty lame, to be honest. They'd meet once a month, do a little Bible study or something at a coffee shop and that's pretty much it. Most of the YAs doubles as CORE Members, so often time their meetings would end up being strategy sessions for LIFE Nights and what not.

DON'T DO THAT!