An Old School Catholic Message Board

Young Adult Minister?

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1569559' date='Jun 12 2008, 10:45 AM']AWESOME!!!!!![/quote]

Thanks! We'll have to have hockey game nights. ;)

[quote name='Raphael' post='1569581' date='Jun 12 2008, 10:58 AM']I'm not a young adult minister, but there are some major benefits to that type of ministry, including greater flexibility. You won't need to get forms signed, you can all meet up for events instead of taking a bus or something, you can go to various restaurants and bars, and you will generally get more interest because most young adults who get involved in their parishes want to be involved, whereas many youth who are involved are pressured by their parents to be.

You might consider a Bible study and a discipleship system similar to FOCUS' dynamic.[/quote]

i agree - no silly forms; no two adults present at all times rules (they're adults anyway); no ban on personal emails and cell phone calls; no worrying about coordinating parents for driving; etc. i really am way too lucky, and am very, very humbled. i will definitely be looking into all the possibilities - Bible study, Church Fathers study, TOB study! Yes! okay - one step at a time - young adult ministry begins with personal relationships. :)

[quote name='kujo' post='1569587' date='Jun 12 2008, 11:08 AM']I dunno man. The YA ministry at my old parish was pretty lame, to be honest. They'd meet once a month, do a little Bible study or something at a coffee shop and that's pretty much it. Most of the YAs doubles as CORE Members, so often time their meetings would end up being strategy sessions for LIFE Nights and what not.

DON'T DO THAT![/quote]

Actually, i already started up and coordinate a young adult group at another parish as a volunteer (my year is over in a few weeks), and our group sounds nothing like what they had at your old parish. We actually have a blast. Hope you have found a better young adult group at your new parish to grow with. :)

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1569612' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:39 PM']Actually, i already started up and coordinate a young adult group at another parish as a volunteer (my year is over in a few weeks), and our group sounds nothing like what they had at your old parish. We actually have a blast. Hope you have found a better young adult group at your new parish to grow with. :)[/quote]

Well, I'm still in college, so I am involved in the campus ministry we've got goin' over there. It's pretty decent. Hope you continue to rock the house in YA Ministry.

[quote name='kujo' post='1569632' date='Jun 12 2008, 11:58 AM']Well, I'm still in college, so I am involved in the campus ministry we've got goin' over there. It's pretty decent. Hope you continue to rock the house in YA Ministry.[/quote]

only by the grace of God.