An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Friday...

inDEED

littleflower+JMJ

geez this thread scared me half to death, i was sitting here earlier and i read it thinking it was today and i went running to my sister and was all going bonkers untill she told me that it was not till next week! false alarm!

i guess at least i'm ready for next week! <_<

Good Friday

I decided to bump this one too, since it was getting close to the bottom of the page and thus would be on page 2 before I know it. lol.

gopherball33

what happens if u dont go 2 Church on a Holy Day of Obligation? I know my dad hasn't taken me 2 Church on 1 4 as long as i can remember. we go 2 Church just about every Sunday, though. i'm just asking because i doubt that this friday will be any different.

littleflower+JMJ

its a sin, its just like a sunday, you have to go, i don't know if its a mortal sin. but your suppose to go to Holy Days of Obligation, adn i think that theres only 7 if i remember correctly...

plan ahead and try to go,encourage your family to also go and that the Church requries us to also attend mass on these special days...

God bLess!

+JMJ

Right. If you miss Mass on a Holy Day of Obligation, having full knowledge that it's a Holy Day of Obligation, provided that you have a means of getting there, and intending to miss it, then you have committed a mortal sin -- just like on a Sunday. But if you forget it's a Holy Day of Obligation or didn't know in the first place, or if you can't get there, or if you miss it without intending to miss it, then it's not a mortal sin.

But if there is a Catholic church in walking distance (even if it's a loooong walking distance), then you are obliged to go to Mass on a Holy Day of Obligation even if your family won't take you. If there isn't a Catholic church within walking distance, then your father would be guilty of committing a mortal sin by not going himself, and also by preventing you from going. I don't think the Church is asking too much by asking us to go to Mass every few months on days other than Sunday.

gopherball33

well, this royally sux. that means my dad has accumulated years of mortal sins. when i get my license, i'll be able to drive myself. there isnt a Church within walking distance of my house. in my family, we dont really talk 2 much about religion, so i don't kno what 2 do except pray extra friday

well, this royally sux. that means my dad has accumulated years of mortal sins. when i get my license, i'll be able to drive myself. there isnt a Church within walking distance of my house. in my family, we dont really talk 2 much about religion, so i don't kno what 2 do except pray extra friday

Pray for him... he can always go to Confession and receive absolution, so don't despair that he might be in mortal sin. You might subtly mention the Church's teaching about Holy Days of Obligation to him. You said he goes to Mass every Sunday? Maybe after hearing the Church's teaching, he'll want to follow it. Just a thought, you know better than I do if that's a good idea. :D I'll pray for him, though.

gopherball33

we go 2 Mass on Sunday unless we have a conflict, such as a baseball game of mine. i don't kno when the last time he went 2 Confession was. he could have gone, but i wouldnt have known. they announced it at Mass a yesterday, and he probably heard it. oh well