An Old School Catholic Message Board

Made In The Image Of God

Jake Huether

Jake Huether

I have a question...

If God made humans in his immage and likeness, man AND woman - then can one draw this conclusion: Neither man alone nor woman alone is the image of God. Only when they become one in marriage.

You see, if you read Genisis, it states that God made man in His image, male and female he made them. Therefore, it is man and woman TOGETHER that makes the image of God. It is the family that makes the image of God. The image of God is family (Father, Son, and the Love they have, the Holy Spirit). So, how is it that we can say, I am made in the image and likeness of God - when that isn't necessarily true? That is, God wasn't refering to each individual, but rather, He was speaking collectively (male and female).

Therefore, my wife and I (and the love we have for eachother) forms the image of God. A priest and his bride, the Church, forms the image of God. But how do we draw the conclusion that each individual is made in the image of God?

Your thoughts please.

hyperdulia again

er..because each individual is made in the image of God and the idea that each individual is not made in the image of God is a heresy.

cmotherofpirl

Each individual alone is the image of God.

Adam when he was first made by God, was a complete image of God. Hw did not need Eve to be whole.

I guess the crux of the issue is that we are made in the image of God, and not that God is made in the image of us.

I must conquer my loneliness alone.

I must be happy with myself or I have nothing to offer.

Two halves have little choice but to join; and yes, they do make a whole.

But two whole when they coincide....

That is beauty. That is love.

-Anonymous

I was reminded of this quote when I started reading this thread.

Well, freesoul, I look at it this way. If you are not happy with yourself before you get married (either to the Church or another person) or if you expect the other person to "fix" everything that is wrong with you - you are going into marriage for the totally wrong reasons. You are depending on the other person for your happiness instead of depending on yourself and that kind of dependence isn't always such a good thing. This is not to say that once you are married you can't depend on your partner for your happiness to a certain extent.

Just my two cents.

"If someone says a penny for your thoughts, and you put in your two cents worth, where does the extra penny go?" --George Carlin

I don't think Adam is that far wrong. We are all indiviually made in the image of God, but individually we are very incomplete. When we get married and create a family, we becomes a more complete image of God. That is in line with the theology of the Trinity as well.

Jake Huether

Thanks for the responses, but I still don't get it.

er..because each individual is made in the image of God and the idea that each individual is not made in the image of God is a heresy.
That's the whole question. Is "each individual" made in the image of God. Or is man and woman made in the image of God.

God said, let US make man in OUR image (God is showing us that His image is plural). So He made them, male and female he created them. If God's image is plural, and he made male AND female in His image, is just male His image, or is His image male AND female (husband and wife)?

Each individual alone is the image of God.

Adam when he was first made by God, was a complete image of God. Hw did not need Eve to be whole.

But God said, "Let US make man in OUR image", and he made THEM, male and female he made THEM. No where does it say that Adam was in the image of God. It said Adam and Eve together were made in the image of God.

I guess the crux of the issue is that we are made in the image of God, and not that God is made in the image of us.

Exactly, and the Image of God is plural - "Let US make man in OUR image". So it would make sense that male and female together in marriage are the image of God. It wouldn't make sense that singularly and individually we are in the image of God.

I'm not saying I'm dissagreeing with the Churches stance, or anyother thing. It's just a sincere question. Where is it explained that each individual is made in the image and likeness of God? Scripturally we only see where male and female are made in His (plural - i.e. US) image.

Jake Huether

Actually, JasJis, I am beginning to see it now. Kind of like how the Father is God and the Son is God, and the Father and Son are God. Ahhh. It's making more sense.

Thanks!

cmotherofpirl

I am complete as an image of God.

I do not need another to complete me.

When I am in a nuptial union I image the Trinity.

I am complete as an image of God.

I do not need another to complete me.

When I am in a nuptial union I image the Trinity.

CMom,

That's why it takes so many of us to figure out the right answer. I'm learning as I go.

As a person, we are complete as an individual, but incomplete as a reflection of God, but as complete a reflection of God as an individual can be.

I think that seems more accurate. Just as Jesus is complete God, but part of the Trinity. And then when we we marry and create a family, we become a better reflection of God in the Trinitarian sense, but we are all called individuall to be a reflection of Christ on earth.

I think that is a more thorough explanation.