An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rosalind Moss - Mother Miriam Of The Lamb Of God

AccountDeleted

Chiquitunga

Wow, Annie!! I just read this, and that is sooo wonderful!!! God bless you!! :pray:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Janet

How wonderful you got to meet and talk with Rosalind Moss. I first heard her on EWTN on Journey Home. You are right her zeal and passion for Our Lord could set anyone on fire! It did me. I have emailed her twice and left her two messages. I would like to take this journey with her I am 51 and want the traditional habit. It is hard to find a community with the traditional habit that will take someone over the age of 45 let alone 50. I have been discerning actualy my whole adult life but actively searching for a few years. I know God has called me to follow him. I have known like I said my whole adult life, but it was me who needed to give in and answer. Some of the communities I have visited have had half in a modified habit and half not. Most have had none. That really saddend me. I want people to know that I am a bride of Christ and I have taken up the cross for him. This may sound like pride but is pure 100% [i][b]LOVE![/b][/i] The modified habit is fine but I know that I am to wear the full traditional habit and be a witness with the habit. I believe Rosalind said to let the world know that God is alive. I totaly love the idea of the name change most all of the communities 98% you retain your own name. I would perfer to change my name because entering into religious life to me would be a rebirth I would still be me but with a new name in religious life. When you become married you change your name, when you are confirmed you add a name makes perfect sense. I would surely love to be part of the 12 to help start the community. I hope and pray that I may.
Janet.

[quote name='nunsense' post='1512945' date='Apr 28 2008, 06:36 PM']Hello dear phatmass friends...

I got back from Georgia yesterday, where I went to hear Rosalind Moss. Her first talk was The Passover Fulfilled, the second one was The Holy Spirit: Giver of Life and the last one was God's Will for You: How to Know It. Each one of these talks was inspiring and so full of humor and love and the Holy Spirit.

When I first arrived at the motel, I turned on the TV to see if they had EWTN (I don't get it where I live) and not only did they have it, but the program that was just starting was "The Reason for Our Hope" with Rosalind Moss! I had never seen her speak before (only listened to a downloaded audio tape) so this was like my "preview" before the program the next day! :rolleyes: God is very funny sometimes!

The next day, in addition to her scheduled talks, which were amazing, she was also so full of enthusiasm for her new community that she spoke about it as well. She told us that she hadn't intended to talk about it, but she obviously couldn't help herself - and we were all thrilled to hear what she had to say. I had time for a private chat with her during one of the breaks and she shared some of her plans. At the end of the day, she also showed some of us a picture of the habit she is going to have made. The habit is based on St Teresa of Avila's one, but in a blue color instead of brown. She started to describe it when suddenly it hit me and I said, "Oh, a Carmelite habit!" and she laughed and made some comment about "Yes, look who I am telling." because she knew that I had been a Carmelite. She thinks wearing a traditional habit in public is very important as a witness to Christ and His Church. She told us that long before she became a Catholic, or even a Christian, following Vatican II, she had read that nuns were going to be allowed to shorten and modify their habits, and even though she didn't know why, she said a pain shot through her at this and she knew that something had been lost. So she is very passionate about the wearing of the habit as part of the work of the community.

She hopes to get some people started working on fixing up the convent (cleaning and renovating) at the end of May, and has asked the Archbishop if he will do the consecration in September on the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (God willing). The charism will be based on her patron saint, St Francis de Sales and she said that she will accept women from 18 to 118 (although if you are 119, I am sure she will still consider you - lol). The work will be preaching and teaching the gospel using all forms of media - and she described the community as contemplative-active.

Her own name in religion will be Mother Miriam of the Lamb of God and I just thought of her as "Mother" the minute I met her! She told me that she wants to start with no more than 12 sisters and then not to accept any vocations after that for the first year (during formation of the foundation sisters). She has about five sisters selected already, with many more applications in hand, and I have also asked to join her. She said she would send me a copy of the Rule and an application form as soon as she got back to California. I am hoping to be able to see her again, since I live only about an hour from her. She is very busy right now of course.

She said that the best email address for her is [email=rosalindmoss@gmail.com]rosalindmoss@gmail.com[/email]. If you do write to her, I wouldn't expect an answer right away though because of how busy she is.

Some people at the program were so inspired that they even hoped that she might set up a Third Order for those who are married or have other responsibilities that prevent them from joining her. I have no doubt that her community is going to flourish wonderfully. She said that there would be a web site set up as soon as possible.

Believe me, this woman is incredible and anyone who joins her is going to be blessed just to know her. Her zeal and passion for Our Lord could set anyone on fire!

For those of you who are wondering how I could have changed from wanting to be a hermit to wanting to join her community - all I can say is that God spoke to me through her. At the end of the day, she was teaching a young girl who came up to talk to her. I think the girl said that she had been a Catholic (but I can't be sure because I came in after they had started talking) but she was now a Protestant, and Mother was answering her questions about Mary and about statues, and all those other misconceptions that Protestants have about the Catholic Church, and it was such a learning experience for me to hear what she was saying. Then she turned to me and asked me to go to the publications table to get a particular book for her, so I did, and then I came back and listened to such an amazing conversation. At the end, she told the girl she wanted to give her a gift, and she handed her the book, which was called Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating. I realized that I could learn so much from her and that she was able to answer so many of my own questions, despite the fact that I am a Catholic already! I think what we have here is a future Doctor of the Church (just my own opinion everyone)! The young girl, I could see, was also totally in awe of her, and she asked her to autograph the book! If that young girl doesn't end up converted (or brought back?) to the Church, well, I will be very surprized!

Finally, when it was time for her to leave, I went to her and said "Mother, please give me your blessing." She traced the sign of the cross on my forehead and then gave me a big hug and I just started crying again - I felt like I had "come home" when she embraced me - that I now knew what God was asking me to do with my life. I pray now that every one of you who is discerning will find the place where you belong as well - the feeling is so wonderful. Of course my own dear patron saint, Teresa of Avila, must be interceding for me as well, because the name of the church where the program was held was, of course, St Teresa of Avila! And don't let us forget that the habit is hers as well. :)

I must also say that the people of the parish of Grovetown, Georgia, were so kind and so loving and so generous that I felt as if I had known them as dear friends forever! They treated me as if I were some kind of VIP even though I had only gone there to hear Rosalind. They made sure I had time to speak with her. They made sure I was introduced to so many people and had company during lunch, and all of them were just so warm and welcoming! They provided me with transportation and even took me out to dinner on my last night, and it just felt like I was in one of those really early Christian communities where everyone loved each other! Saturday night after the program, I was also able to go to Reconciliation and attend Mass - and that was all beautiful too. It was a grace filled weekend.

I was also able to pass on the phatmass website address to another young girl who thought she might have a vocation. She is in the military for another two years but said she wants to start discerning, so I told her how great you all are, and said she should visit here. This really is a great service to people who don't know where to start looking. Go phatmass!

Enough for now. You might be able to tell that I am just a little teeny tiny bit happy right now. Praise God forever! :pray:[/quote]

[quote name='Janet' date='May 19 2008, 08:22 AM' post='1533331']

Hello Janet,
I have a question or two regarding your message;
You wrote, "The modified habit is fine but I know that I am to wear the full traditional habit and be a witness with the habit."
You wrote "I know" with confident assurance, so I am wondering what would you do, if the community you were so sure of, changed many of their customs and wearing the full habit was one of them. What would take presidence; Obedience or "your personal knowing."
I am not arguing, (I have already been given 'warning".) but this happened to many professed nuns in the 60's, who were a long time in community and suddenly, the Order was not what they 'signed onto" in the beginning.
The conflict in plain words was "knuckle under or you're out". The older nuns were "so sure' of what God was asking of them and the younger nuns were "so sure" it was the Holy Spirit who was moving them.

You wrote......" I totaly love the idea of the name change most all of the communities 98% you retain your own name."

I totally disagree with the percentages used here. Could you give rreferences or attribution for your numbers please?
Thanks

God be with you in finding this lovely Mother.
Yesterday, a seminary student asked if I had heard of Rosalind Moss and suggested I look into her as she was starting an order. I didn't write the name down but, there it was, first in this forum this morning.
Thank you all for the information on her. :)

AccountDeleted

First off - Janet - have you contacted Ros about this yet? She has been sending out the Spiritual Directory and application forms - she has had over 200 enquiries! She doesn't want to start with more than 12 but not everyone who enquires is ready to enter right away, or would be suitable for the foundation year.

I have been accepted and will be heading off to St Louis on June 13th. Once we are in habit, then we will start using our names in religion. Ros is letting us pick our own and I have decided on Sister Mary Michael of the Holy Cross. St Michael has always helped me out, and of course, since we are going to be [i]Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope[/i] - it only seems right to use Our Lady's name as well.

Ros and I met yesterday for Mass and then brunch and this is a woman on fire with love for God! While at the restaurant, people who recognized her would approach just to ask her for prayers (and one lady who was a Baptist came up and asked for Ros' to prayer for a family member, which she did right there in the restaurant - no embarrassment about praying out loud in public!). She treated each person with such respect and love and kindness - a saint by anyone's standards. I feel as if I am watching history in the making and the excitement and joy is almost unbearable.

Fortunately for me, Ros lives about an hour and a half away so I can offer to help out with things. She is so busy right now and has to keep flying out to different places for business or for conferences etc. We are hoping that all her things will be packed up by the 13th so she can fly out then and won't have to come back to California after that. That way, she can focus on the convent and on finishing off some speaking engagements.

I will be driving a U-Haul (packed with things for the convent) from California to St Louis with another woman who is also going to be a sister, so it will give us time to get to know each other. We won't make it there until after the weekend, but there will still be plenty of work to be done in getting the convent ready. In fact, it will most likely take the whole summer. God willing, and depending on the Archbishop's availability, the consecration (and taking of the habit) may take place in September, with much rejoicing and a Procession and an Open House in the convent.

This is a time of great graces and so many people have stepped forward to offer help in the form of donations or items or services. It is amazing how people's hearts are already being touched, before the community has even officially begun!

Ros told me that she wants us to be a witness to God in the world, and that is why the habit is so important. When people see us, they will think of God. No matter what they think, at least they will have Him in their thoughts. So many people today never even think of God, let alone believe in Him. The habit is a sign of a life consecrated to God - that has to make a person stop and think. And from the sheer joy that radiates from her, I have no doubt that she will set many hearts on fire for Our Lord. Just watching the people who came up to speak with her at the restaurant was amazing. Their faces were beaming with love and inspiration after talking with her.

I feel very blessed to be a part of this wonderful foundation. We are also obviously very blessed in Archbishop Burke, who has been so supportive of Ros' efforts. And Ros said that the parish priest is wonderful too. This whole project seems very blessed by God.

No, I'm not excited at all :rolleyes:

DiscerningSoul

That is so wonderful to hear, congrats!!!
Oh course you'll be in my prayers.

I think it's wonderful that you'll be in a habit, a silent form of vocation in of its self.
I tend not to speak so well sometimes and people get the wrong idea because of it, one reason its important for me to find a place with a habit, I won't have to speak a word, people would know.
I work at a gas station and my co-workers often call me sister Jessica, if they hear someone swear they point to me and tell them "Don't swear in front of her, she's going to be a nun"
LOL after telling them several times, they don't do that anymore.

Anyway, it is good too see.

Jessica
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Really wonderful to hear this is going forward, and that you have been accepted, Nunsense. Will you be fully habited right away as soon as the community forms? I can't wait to see them! :-)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1534342' date='May 19 2008, 10:06 PM']Really wonderful to hear this is going forward, and that you have been accepted, Nunsense. Will you be fully habited right away as soon as the community forms? I can't wait to see them! :-)[/quote]

Actually, yes. The Archbishop is allowing the founding sisters the special privilege of wearing the full professed habit from day one even though we won't be professed! The sisters who join after the first formation year will all have to go through the usual stages, Postulants in a uniform (with veil), Novices in full trad habit with white veil and then Professed with their blue veil (like the rest of the habit). The habit is being made now but I will ask Ros if we can take photos and post them on the web site when it's finished (with her modeling it?) :rolleyes:

TotusTuusMaria

I am so super happy for you Annie! :yahoo: :clap:

It is really amazing to hear how all of this is happening.

A Yearning Heart

That is great news!!! :clap:
For the joy to be exploding from within really is a sign that it is your true home.
Pray for us Annie, that we too might find out true home in this world.

gloriagurl

[quote name='nunsense' post='1534133' date='May 19 2008, 09:51 PM']I have been accepted and will be heading off to St Louis on June 13th. Once we are in habit, then we will start using our names in religion. Ros is letting us pick our own and I have decided on Sister Mary Michael of the Holy Cross. St Michael has always helped me out, and of course, since we are going to be [i]Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope[/i] - it only seems right to use Our Lady's name as well.[/quote]

Nunsense, I must have missed the part where you posted (if you did) previously that you were accepted. CONGRATULATIONS. God Bless you. God go before you, with you, in you....may He surround all of the founding sisters (and of course those to come) with His strength, grace, and Holy Spirit Power. Deo gratias....semper Deo gratias.

Pax

Guest Janet

[quote name='nunsense' post='1534133' date='May 19 2008, 08:51 PM']Thank you so much for your reply. I have sent Ros 2 emails and left 2 phone messages. I felt that this was a faster form of communication. When is Mother going to be in St. Louis? My self and Kathy Heying are ready, able and willing to join the order today. We can be there by June 13th or before June 13th, Or what would be the best time to come. How do we get an application? We are very interested in joining Mother Miriam on her journey. We first heard of this on Journey Home EWTN and I called Kathy she did not say hello she said do hear this it just happend we both came to change the channel to EWTN the feeling was phenomonal we live in two different states Kathy lives in IN and I live in WI. I feel this is a message from our Lord to hear and follow Mother Miriam on this journey. We have been discerning for quite some time. We just need a place to call home. We are a witness to wear the habit. The charism is something that we feel we can support with all our hearts to feed Gods people and bring them back to him. This is wonderful gift God gave us to follow him with Mother Miriam. So where do we go from here and how do we get to there, so that we can be one of the 12. How beautiful a number 12 just as our Lord chose 12 to start his journey with him. I pray that we can be with you all in June.
Looking forward to hearing from you real soon. Janet and Kathy
Janet L. Jones
Kathy Heying
[color="#FF0000"]edited out personal phone numbers, this is not appropriate info on a public board -cmom[/color]

First off - Janet - have you contacted Ros about this yet? She has been sending out the Spiritual Directory and application forms - she has had over 200 enquiries! She doesn't want to start with more than 12 but not everyone who enquires is ready to enter right away, or would be suitable for the foundation year.

I have been accepted and will be heading off to St Louis on June 13th. Once we are in habit, then we will start using our names in religion. Ros is letting us pick our own and I have decided on Sister Mary Michael of the Holy Cross. St Michael has always helped me out, and of course, since we are going to be [i]Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope[/i] - it only seems right to use Our Lady's name as well.

Ros and I met yesterday for Mass and then brunch and this is a woman on fire with love for God! While at the restaurant, people who recognized her would approach just to ask her for prayers (and one lady who was a Baptist came up and asked for Ros' to prayer for a family member, which she did right there in the restaurant - no embarrassment about praying out loud in public!). She treated each person with such respect and love and kindness - a saint by anyone's standards. I feel as if I am watching history in the making and the excitement and joy is almost unbearable.

Fortunately for me, Ros lives about an hour and a half away so I can offer to help out with things. She is so busy right now and has to keep flying out to different places for business or for conferences etc. We are hoping that all her things will be packed up by the 13th so she can fly out then and won't have to come back to California after that. That way, she can focus on the convent and on finishing off some speaking engagements.

I will be driving a U-Haul (packed with things for the convent) from California to St Louis with another woman who is also going to be a sister, so it will give us time to get to know each other. We won't make it there until after the weekend, but there will still be plenty of work to be done in getting the convent ready. In fact, it will most likely take the whole summer. God willing, and depending on the Archbishop's availability, the consecration (and taking of the habit) may take place in September, with much rejoicing and a Procession and an Open House in the convent.

This is a time of great graces and so many people have stepped forward to offer help in the form of donations or items or services. It is amazing how people's hearts are already being touched, before the community has even officially begun!

Ros told me that she wants us to be a witness to God in the world, and that is why the habit is so important. When people see us, they will think of God. No matter what they think, at least they will have Him in their thoughts. So many people today never even think of God, let alone believe in Him. The habit is a sign of a life consecrated to God - that has to make a person stop and think. And from the sheer joy that radiates from her, I have no doubt that she will set many hearts on fire for Our Lord. Just watching the people who came up to speak with her at the restaurant was amazing. Their faces were beaming with love and inspiration after talking with her.

I feel very blessed to be a part of this wonderful foundation. We are also obviously very blessed in Archbishop Burke, who has been so supportive of Ros' efforts. And Ros said that the parish priest is wonderful too. This whole project seems very blessed by God.

No, I'm not excited at all :rolleyes:[/quote]

Edited by cmotherofpirl
personal info

Guest Janet

The numbers were based on how many communities I visited. This was not a formal study by no means. If you would please let me know about your already been given warning. What would take presidence would be my answer after careful consideration and prayer.
Hello Janet,
I have a question or two regarding your message;
You wrote, "The modified habit is fine but I know that I am to wear the full traditional habit and be a witness with the habit."
You wrote "I know" with confident assurance, so I am wondering what would you do, if the community you were so sure of, changed many of their customs and wearing the full habit was one of them. What would take presidence; Obedience or "your personal knowing."
I am not arguing, (I have already been given 'warning".) but this happened to many professed nuns in the 60's, who were a long time in community and suddenly, the Order was not what they 'signed onto" in the beginning.
The conflict in plain words was "knuckle under or you're out". The older nuns were "so sure' of what God was asking of them and the younger nuns were "so sure" it was the Holy Spirit who was moving them.

You wrote......" I totaly love the idea of the name change most all of the communities 98% you retain your own name."

I totally disagree with the percentages used here. Could you give rreferences or attribution for your numbers please?
Thanks
[/quote]

AccountDeleted

Janet - I have sent your post to Ros, and sent you a PM.

God bless you.
Annie