An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hawthorne Dominicans

Roseoftherese

Roseoftherese

Hey,
has anyone here visited the Hawthorne Dominicans or met one of them? I'm looking into nursing religious orders (trying to discern my vocation) and these look like a very good order.
Thank you!

~Rose

inperpetuity

[quote name='Roseoftherese' post='1522177' date='May 8 2008, 09:49 AM']Hey,
has anyone here visited the Hawthorne Dominicans or met one of them? I'm looking into nursing religious orders (trying to discern my vocation) and these look like a very good order.
Thank you!

~Rose[/quote]

I spent a week with them a few years ago. They are a very beautiful community actually, very faithful. At noon, all the sisters who are working in the home with patients come into the hallway and recite the angelus to the bells from the church. It's a beautiful sight to see them all lined up down the hall in their white habits. They always have a live-in discernment week each summer for those discerning a vocation. It should be coming up soon. God Bless, Lisa

veritas99

you should totally check them out. I've never visited them but I know they are great. A former roommate of mine volunteers at their cancer home in St.Paul. She always had such wonderful things to say about the Sisters. Are they any near your area?

Roseoftherese

Well, I live in PA. If I visited them, I would go to their motherhouse in New York. It would be about a two hours drive. I'd love to visit, and see what they're like!

littlesister

They're marvelous. The peace comes to meet you the minute you walk into the lobby.

the lords sheep

Don't forget the Little Sisters of the Poor! Our resident littlesister is too humble to say anything, but the lsp's are really REALLY great. I've known their Sisters both in St. Louis and in New York, and they have always been incredibly welcoming and loving, with eachother, with visitors, and most especially for their patients. Their love for Christ truly shines through all that they do. You very rarely see a Little Sister without a smile on her face!

the lords sheep

BTW, Are you looking for orders that are exclusively nurses? Or just that its one of their apostalates?
If you're looking at various orders, I also recommend the [url="http://www.carmelitedcj.org"]Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus [/url]
Another medical order (both nurses and doctors, but also teachers, and theologians), the [url="http://www.rsmoralma.org"]Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma[/url]

All are very wonderful Sisters. I know all three orders personally!
In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

littlesister

Thanks, Lauren. We have done three-in-one vocation displays with the Sisters of Life and the Hawthorne Dominicans. We call the exhibit "Serving the Gospel of Life," since among the three communities life is served from conception (S.L.'s) to natural death at any age (O.P's) or at the end of a long life (lsp's). We all have web sites, so come in and welcome!

Roseoftherese

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1522641' date='May 8 2008, 07:07 PM']BTW, Are you looking for orders that are exclusively nurses? Or just that its one of their apostalates?
If you're looking at various orders, I also recommend the [url="http://www.carmelitedcj.org"]Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus [/url]
Another medical order (both nurses and doctors, but also teachers, and theologians), the [url="http://www.rsmoralma.org"]Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma[/url]

All are very wonderful Sisters. I know all three orders personally!
In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren[/quote]

Well, in particular I'm looking for orders who help with sick children... I'm really looking for any order that helps with children, but not a teaching order, like orders that minister to orphans and at risk children.
But I'm also looking into nursing orders, as a chief apostolate. I think I may be called to that.
I'm sure the Little Sisters of the Poor are a great order! My mom lived next door to them when she was growing up, and she loved them. For a while, she wanted to become one. Obviously though, she didn't. ;-)

DiscerningSoul

I enjoy visiting our Little Sister's of the Poor residents.
I usally go for prayer, Divine Office and I never refuse to help the sisters. Sr.M.G. always asks me to help feed some of the residents, well yesterday I graduated she says, now whenever I am there and able, after Divine Office I just go up and help. What a joy it is to help out on the floors!
There was a time I thought I was being called to them, but then I noticed that God was calling me to do something ratical with my life, now if I would stop running away from him and just set my acnhor in his heart and trust him, and stop worring.
Anyway, Yes the Little Sister's of the Poor are great, the Mother house is in New York and when I went with some sisters and residents to see 4 postulats become novies, I tell ya, that church was chuck full! There was people standing along the walls and out into the halls that is how full, and to see all those sister's in one place! WOW!!!!

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1522637' date='May 8 2008, 08:57 PM']Don't forget the Little Sisters of the Poor! Our resident littlesister is too humble to say anything, but the lsp's are really REALLY great. I've known their Sisters both in St. Louis and in New York, and they have always been incredibly welcoming and loving, with eachother, with visitors, and most especially for their patients. Their love for Christ truly shines through all that they do. You very rarely see a Little Sister without a smile on her face![/quote]

Laudem Gloriae

The Hawthorne Dominicans are a great and traditional order. I had a grand-cousin? (my grandmother's sister's daughter) who was a Hawthorne Dominican in the 50's and she herself died of cancer. I have pictures of her entrance, clothing and solemn profession in the full traditional habit they wore back then. When my grand-aunt? was dying, she gave me her daughter's religious profession cross, which I cherish.

Also in this blog, [url="http://5countrygirls.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_archive.html"]http://5countrygirls.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_archive.html[/url] , some college girls went either on nun runs or just to visit orders in New Jersey and NY some years back. The page given in the link is to these visits. Scroll down to where the visits start - the first is the Carmelites of Morristown, NJ and farther past this and other others where you see the "Rosary Hill" sign starts some pictures of the Hawthorne Dominicans. They go to visit a friend who at the time was postulant and now is solemnly professed - her picture is on their website in the "Hawthorne Happenings" online newsletter I believe.

As a nurse myself, if I had an active vocation, I'd join these sisters in a flash!

[quote name='Roseoftherese' post='1522700' date='May 8 2008, 08:10 PM']Well, in particular I'm looking for orders who help with sick children... I'm really looking for any order that helps with children, but not a teaching order, like orders that minister to orphans and at risk children.
But I'm also looking into nursing orders, as a chief apostolate. I think I may be called to that.
I'm sure the Little Sisters of the Poor are a great order! My mom lived next door to them when she was growing up, and she loved them. For a while, she wanted to become one. Obviously though, she didn't. ;-)[/quote]
I first learned of the [b][url="http://dmml.org/default.aspx"]Daughters of Mary, Mother of Healing Love [/url][/b]on these very boards. There have been a number of threads about them here. They work with abused and neglected children. They might be worth a phone call or an email for you in your continued discernment.

Roseoftherese

[quote name='shortnun' post='1523131' date='May 9 2008, 09:01 AM']I first learned of the [b][url="http://dmml.org/default.aspx"]Daughters of Mary, Mother of Healing Love [/url][/b]on these very boards. There have been a number of threads about them here. They work with abused and neglected children. They might be worth a phone call or an email for you in your continued discernment.[/quote]

Thanks! Yes, they look like a very beautiful order. Maybe I will write to them. I love the work they're doing.

Roseoftherese

[quote name='Roseoftherese' post='1523232' date='May 9 2008, 11:14 AM']Thanks! Yes, they look like a very beautiful order. Maybe I will write to them. I love the work they're doing.[/quote]

Has anyone else heard anything about them? :unsure:

Rose, I really thank you for starting this thread. We need more religious women in healthcare and you have prompted people to highlight some very good communities!