An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hawthorne Dominicans

Roseoftherese

sistersintigo

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' date='08 May 2008 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1210301454' post='1522829']
The Hawthorne Dominicans are a great and traditional order. I had a grand-cousin? (my grandmother's sister's daughter) who was a Hawthorne Dominican in the 50's and she herself died of cancer. I have pictures of her entrance, clothing and solemn profession in the full traditional habit they wore back then. When my grand-aunt? was dying, she gave me her daughter's religious profession cross, which I cherish.

As a nurse myself, if I had an active vocation, I'd join these sisters in a flash!
[/quote]

In the last five years or so, this congregation of Dominican sisters has had some discernment to do as a whole, and the choices they have made are worthy of note.
One of their homes/hospices will close in a matter of weeks. It is their urban New York City location, Saint Rose's Home. Their motherhouse, with a hospital of its own, remains just upstate, Rosary Hill Home in Hawthorne, New York. If the closure of the city location seems in itself regrettable, consider the new location and the new foundation that the Hawthorne Dominicans have committed themselves to.
Dominican Friars have been active, for decades, in Kenya, Africa, where some have died in the unrest and violence. In a place of suffering and poverty, there are nonetheless vocations to religious life, and Kenyan Catholics are out there discerning a call to religious life. Obviously there is great need of the corporal works of mercy. One or two Dominican priests, US natives, sent to Kenya, called out to the Hawthorne congregation, insisting that their very specific apostolate dedicated to cancer nursing had an equally specific, urgent application in Kenya, asking them to send sisters overseas.
Kisumu, Kenya is now the location of the newest foundation of Hawthorne Dominican Sisters, several of whom have been sent from the United States to Africa, to minister and to form new vocations. Their specific ministry concerns pediatric cancers; there is widespread illness amongst children, and there is a specific form of cancer (a lymphoma?) with which small Kenyan children are stricken. Not to speak of a cure, it used to be rare for a correct diagnosis and treatment even to be available to such children. The Hawthorne Dominicans are changing all that now, and they have let go of their old location (New York City) so as to be available to serve in a new one.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' date='12 May 2008 - 05:41 AM' timestamp='1210585265' post='1525562']
During my discernment I was Quite Sure of a certain community, then Very Sure that another one [i]most certainly[/i] wouldn't do, and guess which one's noviciate I'll be visiting for a week in October :) [/quote]

I remember when discerning the last community I was with, I was looking at two options. One seemed like a great fit -- it was a new foundation, with about 30 sisters. I felt quite at home visiting them. In fact -- I saw a lot of myself in the sisters. The second seem to not be ... in that it kept challenging me to change. I felt at home at this second community as well.

I was tugged in my heart ... which one to choose?

A very holy religious priest said to me "[b]Choose the community, not based on feelings alone, but based on whether or not that community will sanctify you[/b]"

So I picked the community that kept challenging me to change ... I ended up leaving, but one thing I am 100% convinced of, it did help in my sanctification. Hence it was the right choice at the time, and I know so much more about myself that maybe I would not have known if I had not entered that particular community.

I discerned with the Hawthorne Dominicans about 15 years ago but I found that my vocation is with the Carmelites. I am a registered nurse and is currently with the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm. (www.carmelitesisters.com). Our apostolate is with the elderly. Our Foundress was a Little Sister of the Poor. I discerned long and hard, but God always gives the grace when we persevere. I'm sure He will do the same with you if you let Him!

Blessings,
Sr. Helena

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' date='11 May 2008 - 01:59 PM' timestamp='1210528777' post='1525000']
Rose, something that I found very helpful in my discernment was to stop thinking about communities for a while. When I began to discern actively for the first time my initial approach was to look at lots of websites and books about different communities. I didn't know any other way to go about it. While the tug towards the Carmelite way and witness was with me from the first moment, I had no other knowledge about where I was supposed to be, and the more I looked at different communities the more confused I became.

God's response to my flustered behaviour was to encourage me to spend lots of time in quiet, reflective, structured prayer. Your call to religious life is founded on time spent in conversation and communion with God, not on in-depth knowledge of various communities and their apostolates. Too often we fall into the trap of thinking that religious life is like a career - if we choose an order that suits our talents and inclinations and personalities, we're following God's will. That's not necessarily the case. Lots of prayer will immunise you against this trend, and its current will carry you to places where you may never have thought of looking.

This is the advice that comes to me when I read your posts. I may be way off, but for some reason I get the impression that now is not the best time to be pinpointing specific communities. Just get a general taster of what religious life is all about and settle down on your knees. :)
[/quote]

I send a BIG AMEN to your post...One of the pitfalls of the post Vatican II is that many religious began seeing themselves as professionals before religious. Our life, our work and all the good we may do will only bear lasting fruit if they stem from the quality of our lives as religious men and women of prayer. We came to religious life to belong to Jesus in Love.

Our apostolates should by their very nature be an outgrowth of that intimate relationship we have with Christ and His Mother. We are not called to be social workers doctors, administrators etc.. but to be religious first and above all. If we do this the rest will follow.

I think in a very real way the shortage in vocations is in part a result of this putting the cart before the horse so to say. The statement that there is a shortage of vocations is a fallacy.

Look to those communities who have been faithful to their charism, to their life as religious, to prayer,and the church and you will see them flourishing.

When I entered the Missionaries of Charity, before I became a Carmelite, my profession group numbered over 100 young women. The trend is still going but on a quieter level since Mother Teresa's death, and that is as it should be, for mother never wanted notoriety for herself or her sisters.

The same goes for contemplative communities, those that are faithful flower, even in the desert. Spending time humbly on ones knees before the Lord, is a great place to start discerning ones vocation. Then whatever may come, you will be firmly grounded in His love desiring His will for you alone.

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity :shield:

Edited by Indwelling Trinity