An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guitar Chords For Mass Hymns, Songs?

johnnydigit

johnnydigit

anyone have any sheet music, guitar chords, or guitar tabs for the Mass hymns, responses, and common songs?

CatherineM

I've got piano books for Glory and Praise books I, II, & III, and most of them have the guitar chords. A few don't.

johnnydigit

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1530864' date='May 16 2008, 06:49 PM']I've got piano books for Glory and Praise books I, II, & III, and most of them have the guitar chords. A few don't.[/quote]

is that for the Catholic Mass or a basic Christian compilation? most Christian songs i can find chords for online, but the ones in the Missal and for the responses are harder to come by..

CatherineM

Volumes I and II have mass parts such as the holy, Lord's prayer, amen, acclimation, and lamb of God. Part III has the mass in A minor, but that one doesn't have the guitar chords.

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1531115' date='May 17 2008, 05:12 AM']is that for the Catholic Mass or a basic Christian compilation? most Christian songs i can find chords for online, but the ones in the Missal and for the responses are harder to come by..[/quote]

I can probably track this stuff down, but you gotta be more specific. What mass parts are you using? There's like 1000 different arrangements and mass themes and what not.

johnnydigit

[quote name='kujo' post='1531286' date='May 17 2008, 09:19 AM']I can probably track this stuff down, but you gotta be more specific. What mass parts are you using? There's like 1000 different arrangements and mass themes and what not.[/quote]

it goes like this, la LA la la, la LA la la, laaaa, ameeeen.

ya i guess it would be hard without actually listening to them since everyone may do it differently. whatever you guys use or think is common. the main thing is i want to be able to perform on retreats for young adults, home Masses or with prayer groups - like when we do the "ave, ave, ave maria" at the end of each decade of the Rosary.

anything you guys can provide would be great. i've asked some sisters who play music every friday at my parish, but they are very busy. plus they speak little english and their chords are in spanish lol. (not hard to translate tho).

i would try ultimate-guitar.com, its the biggest guitar tabs website. granted its more about popular music, but you might get lucky

Noel's angel

There's one called 'Hymns Old And New' (go for the guitar and melody one) that both our choirs use (some of it isn't my cup of tea, but that's not the point). Be careful about which edition you buy though, because I know they made a gender-inclusive one which isn't any good. Kevin Mayhew are the publishers.

I also have a large collection of sheet music (with chords) that I've picked up through the years.

Edited by Noel's angel

I use [url="http://www.spiritandsong.com/store/hymnals/12120"]Spirit and Song[/url] because it's got a bunch of different mass settings. It'll be $10 or so, but it's got a great variety of mass settings, songs and hymns. And they've all got piano accompaniment as well as guitar chords.

Edited by kujo