An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Ask An Atheist A Question, What Would It Be?

thessalonian

You've made a lot of responses in the past day or so!

A question on one of the responses... Your response to the Aquinas arguments, is asking why can't there be an infinite series. If there is an infinite series, can you explain why there is motion at all?

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1576046' date='Jun 19 2008, 11:08 AM']Rick, what? He doesn't look like Al, they just both wear glasses.[/quote]

Not to mention our frames are completely different... lol...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='rkwright' post='1576101' date='Jun 19 2008, 11:32 AM']A question on one of the responses... Your response to the Aquinas arguments, is asking why can't there be an infinite series. If there is an infinite series, can you explain why there is motion at all?[/quote]

Uh oh, this sounds a lot like infinite divisibility. :mellow:
*This* is where it's great to be a theist! We don't have to worry about frying our brains wondering exactly why the universe doesn't just fall apart with all this theoretical and extremely daunting (and scary) stuff. :)
If I were talking to people in real life at the moment, I'd do that "raise the roof" move... Or maybe the sprinkler. Hah!

Galloglasses

Doesn't infinite Divisibility defeat the action and reaction theory? A reaction needs an action, a loop of reactions are reacting off of previous reactions with no beginning action.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1576161' date='Jun 19 2008, 12:18 PM']Doesn't infinite Divisibility defeat the action and reaction theory? A reaction needs an action, a loop of reactions are reacting off of previous reactions with no beginning action.[/quote]

If my head pops, I'm blaming you guys.
The theory of infinite divisibility does have problems, especially that and the idea of movement, which is why somone else developed the string theory of matter (pretty sure that's what it's called). Don't you dare ask me to explain because I'm so out of my knowledge base it's pathetic.

Vincent Vega

I'd just like to hear their explanation for this:
[url="http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html"]Eucharistic Miracle at Lanciano[/url]
One of the most miraculous, in my opinion.

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1576351' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:45 PM']I'd just like to hear their explanation for this:
[url="http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html"]Eucharistic Miracle at Lanciano[/url]
One of the most miraculous, in my opinion.[/quote]

Things happen that we don't understand but it doesn't make it a miracle. Things just happen. Certian peoples of certian religions do believe that these unexplainiable things are attributed to God. Let them believe that. Its no skin off my back.

Vincent Vega

But see, there's a difference. There are inexplained things that occur due to science, such as the tendency of vortices to become polygon-shaped when the bottom of a stationary container of fluid is spun. That happens, but I would not consider it divinely inspired. When was the last time you were eating a sandwich and it turned into peanut butter spread on two hearts? I'd agree that some things might 'just happen', due to our lack of understanding. But I have a hard time believing that that's one such instance.
Anyway, I was looking for the response of a serious atheist, not an 'I'm-mad-at-the-Church-for-some-reason-and-I'm-going-to-post-cynical-responses-to-every-religious-thread-on-a-religious-forum' atheist. In other words, I was looking for JustJ's response. Thanks anyways.

Nihil Obstat

This is an absolutely incredible miracle.
This goes far beyond 'science just can't explain it *yet*'.
If you need evidence, this is evidence. If you're in court and the defence shows you a sample of DNA, you can't look at that and say "maybe someone else's DNA mutated. It might happen, science just can't explain why yet."

Nihil Obstat

Thank you, by the way, for posting that link. I put it up on my Facebook page, and I'm going to send it around.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1576375' date='Jun 19 2008, 04:29 PM']Thank you, by the way, for posting that link. I put it up on my Facebook page, and I'm going to send it around.[/quote]
You're welcome. Being science-minded, it's one of my absolute favorite miracles, because it is simply inexplicable, and so profoundly astounding. How amazing it would have been to be at that mass! But I digress from the point of the thread.
Excuse me, and resume.

Nihil Obstat

One of the coolest parts is that 1200 years later it's still there. :P
Good old incorruptibility! :D