An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Ask An Atheist A Question, What Would It Be?

thessalonian

Farsight one

Question:

Many atheists criticize believers for explaining something they don't understand with basically "God did it". How is that any different from an atheist basically saying "science doesn't understand it yet" when presented with such inexplicable phenomena as eucharistic miracles, Marian apparitions, possesion, levitation, etc?

puellapaschalis

[quote name='StColette' post='1556331' date='Jun 4 2008, 12:28 AM']"Could you please give an answer/explanation disproving the Five Proofs of St. Thomas Aquinas?"[/quote]

All of them?
I read an account once that refuted the first cause and first mover arguments by saying that there's nothing stopping the chain of causes/movers going back endlessly into time. Not sure how someone would square this with the Big Bang though.

Farsight one

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1557087' date='Jun 4 2008, 05:03 AM']All of them?
I read an account once that refuted the first cause and first mover arguments by saying that there's nothing stopping the chain of causes/movers going back endlessly into time. Not sure how someone would square this with the Big Bang though.[/quote]I've heard people say that before, but it's not a refutation of those arguments, but rather simply ignoring important tenents of them. Aquinas explains quite well why there MUST be a beginning. Ofhanded dismissal of his explanation is not a refutation. Simply stating that there doesn't have to be a beginning is not an argument.

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1557088' date='Jun 4 2008, 05:10 AM']I've heard people say that before, but it's not a refutation of those arguments, but rather simply ignoring important tenents of them. Aquinas explains quite well why there MUST be a beginning. Ofhanded dismissal of his explanation is not a refutation. Simply stating that there doesn't have to be a beginning is not an argument.[/quote]

Correct! Someone I worked with was an athiest. I discussed the 5 Proofs with him and he couldn't refute them. After working with him for 2 yrs he started coming to the conclusion that there had to be a Creator, that had no beginning or end.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='StColette' post='1557181' date='Jun 4 2008, 04:35 PM']Correct! Someone I worked with was an athiest. I discussed the 5 Proofs with him and he couldn't refute them. After working with him for 2 yrs he started coming to the conclusion that there had to be a Creator, that had no beginning or end.[/quote]

Right, time to dig out my Summa of the Summa....

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1557529' date='Jun 4 2008, 01:22 PM']Right, time to dig out my Summa of the Summa....[/quote]

lol

puellapaschalis

[quote name='StColette' post='1557530' date='Jun 4 2008, 08:24 PM']lol[/quote]

Yes, just sit and laugh! I've an awful feeling it's in another country. Drat it.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1557574' date='Jun 4 2008, 01:58 PM']Yes, just sit and laugh! I've an awful feeling it's in another country. Drat it.[/quote]

You can always just read the online version of the Summa ^_^

For serious discussions on theological and philosophical issues related to belief, including atheism, go to the
[b]
Internet Infidels Discussion board,[/b] the IIDB, at:

[url="http://iidb.infidels.org/vbb/index.php"]http://iidb.infidels.org/vbb/index.php[/url]

--be warned. These are smart folks and a lot of serious discussion goes on here. There are also formal, go-by-the-rules debates.

ardillacid

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1556730' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:58 PM']Question:

Many atheists criticize believers for explaining something they don't understand with basically "God did it". How is that any different from an atheist basically saying "science doesn't understand it yet" when presented with such inexplicable phenomena as eucharistic miracles, Marian apparitions, possesion, levitation, etc?[/quote]
I would think that they would say that there is in fact a scientific explanation, that we just don't know it yet.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1557087' date='Jun 4 2008, 05:03 AM']All of them?
I read an account once that refuted the first cause and first mover arguments by saying that there's nothing stopping the chain of causes/movers going back endlessly into time. Not sure how someone would square this with the Big Bang though.[/quote]
Just a series of big bangs and big crunches in both directions i s'pose

• 2 weeks later...
Galloglasses

Here's one question I'd ask.

"You are an athiest. Ergo you do not believe in God without evidence. You demand evidence for our belief in God, we put forward miracles, you develop long winded and increasingly irrational string of events to explain away such miracles. Yet an independent scientific research lab stationed at Lourdes France, has been creating plethora of such excuses for the thousands of cures claimed there every year. Yet there are 67 cases were the cures are completely unexplainable by science. I put forward these cases as evidence. Now explain."

Edited by Galloglasses

i would presumptuously inquire, with reference to the awaiting awakenings.....

'bet you cant wait, huh???'

Edited by rckllnknny

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1572796' date='Jun 16 2008, 01:26 PM']Here's one question I'd ask.

"You are an athiest. Ergo you do not believe in God without evidence. You demand evidence for our belief in God, we put forward miracles, you develop long winded and increasingly irrational string of events to explain away such miracles. Yet an independent scientific research lab stationed at Lourdes France, has been creating plethora of such excuses for the thousands of cures claimed there every year. Yet there are 67 cases were the cures are completely unexplainable by science. I put forward these cases as evidence. Now explain."[/quote]

not to debate...but before i knew God was real. i couldnt believe. i dint have anyone to teach me.. to show me. i always said i wish i could believe. but i couldnt until it was my place in time...

but it might depend on your definition of atheist....