An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Partial Birth Abortion Ban

Good Friday

Is the partial birth abortion ban the beginning of the end for abortion?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good Friday

The Partial Birth Abortion Ban

by Bryan Kemper

I have heard so much about this partial birth abortion ban. Everyone who knows what I do always talks about this bill and how great it is that it will finally pass. It is not just pro-lifers that are talking about this; the pro-abortion groups are talking up a storm also. They cry out that this is President Bush’s first step in banning all abortion.

It is funny how a lot of my friends don’t understand how the pro-abortion groups could support even partial birth abortion. “How can they support this? This is so obviously wrong and gruesome,” they ask. It’s quite simple. The pro-abortion side will not compromise at all -- something I cannot say about the pro-life side.

As you might be able to tell by the tone of this commentary I am not jumping for joy about this partial birth abortion bill. In fact if I were a congressman I would have voted against it. Are you shocked? Are you puzzled? What should puzzle you is how come we can’t stand up against something so evil as the killing of an innocent child without compromising.

First of all let me say that partial birth abortion is no worse than any other abortion. It is an instant death for the child. The fact is that every abortion, whether it is from the pill, suction, partial-birth abortion or any method, is the killing of an innocent child and is wrong. The pro-life movement has somehow forgotten about all the other children and for several years has focused 95% of its time and money on just this one type of abortion.

I would have no problem voting for a bill that simply states, “stop all partial birth abortions.” However, that is not what this bill states. Unlike the pro-aborts, we were more than willing to compromise. In fact we went ahead and put a compromise in the bill, even before the pro-aborts had a chance to. This bill contains an exception that permits the procedure in certain cases alleged to be threatening to the mother's life. How can delivering a baby up to his neck and then killing him help save a woman’s life?

This bill will not save a single life; there are other forms of late term abortion that can still be used. This bill is nothing more than a trophy for congressmen who want to pacify pro-lifers so they don’t have to deal with us. This is the proverbial bone being thrown to us and for the most part the pro-life movement is buying it.

We will never win this battle as long as we compromise the truth. We have no foundation to stand on if we do not stand on the truth. Abortion is always the killing of an innocent human child. If we say that in certain circumstances that it is ok, then in reality it is always ok. I for one will never compromise even one single child. God is the creator of every single life -- EVERY ONE. He created the children that are conceived through rape. He created the children conceived through incest. He created the children who have health problems. He created every single child, and we can never make an exception to allow for the murder of even one of those children.

If you want to see abortion end in this country, it is not going to come through phony trophy legislation like the partial birth abortion ban. It will come when we as Christians stop compromising and start standing up for every single child. It will happen when Christians get off their duffs and start acting like abortion is murder. It will end when we stop treating abortion like a political issue and start treating it like what it is -- a holocaust that has already taken over 43 million lives, and still counting.

For the voiceless,

Bryan Kemper

From: http://www.onerock.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000146.html

God Conquers

This is a view that is becoming more and more popular in pro-life circles. I have to think about it a bit more i think.

I voted no. Yes, I'm glad it passed, but I'm afraid it means much less than people hoped it would. I'd like to see much more discussion of laws that address some of the other root causes of abortion, such as:

1.)Parental notification of children seeking abortion.

2.)Sweeping adoption and foster parent changes.

3.)Stronger privacy protectoin for adoptive parents.

4.)Efforts to notify the father when a women seeks an abortion.

5.)Government financial help for women who seek to have the baby and release the child for adoption.

6.)Laws requireing the mother or father to have some financial responsiblity for becoming pregnant or causing pregnancy. (This would be limited to pre-natal and birthing care and would end with complete forfiture of parental rights so the child can be adopted.)

littleflower+JMJ

the second choice...pathetic? you call that pathetic? making an impact on our abortion-thriving society an acutual win for our team and its pathetic? and saving lives is pathetic? today abortion can be done at alllllll 9 months, we happen to narrow it down, the first in many changes for life mind you, and that my friends iS a victory, a win, an accomplishment, a stepping stone to where we need to get..... i dont' get that at all.....no one has thrown in the towel and said, okay thats all we need is a ban, thats it, nope, ....right now the ones who have lost are the abortion ppl, they see this as a threat and a lost to their selfish and greedy and evil ways, anyone who is expecting the whole law, and a law that will be the most difficult to change, to be overturned in one legislation session is not talking reality...its going to require time and effort, efforts like the partial birth abortion ban, ......the abortion ppl are the ones squirming in their seats, they know that its only a matter of time till they will be thrown out.....we should be happy that we have made a difference and glad, not critizing, yes, i do want more changes myself, but look at our self-destructive society,..............how many of those in charge of our gov. willl make those changes? its up to us to keep fighting, its not over yet,

now, lets start first by looking around us, our whole nation is thriving in its evil ways, society, our culture and our nation is a nation of death right now and of darkness, tis secular, right now, pro-lifers have to pick the lesser of the evil....theres no way we can completely stop abortion, no governor, senator, not even our powerful president will do that. a person who has the power to send thousands to fight but not do the same for the defenseless in our very own country...

BUT we have to realize that Rome was NOT built in one day!!!

this battle against abortion is goign to be slow and lengthy but heed, it will be won and i believe this ban is a step forward, its a win, ask any coach what exactly is a "win" and he would say, it required that one team gains (wins) and the other loses (lost), BUT no matter how much you win, by 100 points or just 1 point in the last second of the buzzer, a win is a win...which i believe in this match the pro-lifers have won

THAT my brothers adn sisters is the case for the partial birth abortion ban....this will indeed save lifes, right now a baby can be killed in ANY of the 9 months thru abortion but this ban will be a stepping stone to ending abortion for good.....anything that helps us move forward in this fight against a culture and nation that is screaming death will have to take time to overturn all the evils our country is committing thru legallizing abortion....this is a ban, a restriction! we're stopping abortion, slowly but surely,

but you say babies are still dying...yes, thats what we have to keep fighting, i don't call it comprimising, i call it making progress, its called having hope and faith that this is a sign that YES abortion can and will be defeated....we have all odds against us but we have God on our side...

think of this scenario......

a man is on a seashore, throwing back all starfishes that he sees into the water, even though there are thousands stranded on shore from being swept onto there by the continuous waves, they will die if not put back in the water, he still continues saving one after another, never stopping.....another man comes up, sees that it is almost impossible to save all the starfishes for with EACH wave, thousands more get stranded, he comes up to this man fustrated with him and says, " why are you throwing them back in? don't you see that there are thousands that you can't save? theres too many of them, you can't make a difference" the quiet man, stops picks up yet another starfish and throws it back in the water, he then replies, "I made a difference for that one"

this shows that we have to do all we can until we have won this evil battle against abortion.... we cannot stop fighting we have to keep moving forward, fighting for life adn THIS ban is doing exactly that...no we cant' change the law over nite but thru our course of actions we will and see a difference ...

you have to remember, Rome was not built in a day, and neither will abortion be overturned, it will be after we continue to fight....

this ban is not pathetic it's a blessing, a sign of hope that yes there will be victory..but until then we have to keep fighting, making progress and battling this evil war.....

may we all continue to fight and make progress to end abortion and all its evil and all that ends life, we will not stop, its not finished yet, this is our green light a symbol that we might infact see the days when abortion is illegal......whether its 10 years from now or sooner....and until that day we cannot lose hope nor lose unity against this evil sin......oh ye of little faith.....i know my God will prevail!

O Virgin Mary, voice of the unborn, pray for the end of Abortion!

thats my two cents..no refunds....

God bLEss!

+JMJ

Good Friday

To clarify: Late-term abortions can still be performed, it's only partial birth abortions (one form of late-term abortion) that can't be done. As this article makes clear, they will just turn to the other forms of late-term abortion now that partial birth abortions have been outlawed. So this does not effectively rule out the possibility of late-term abortions, it only rules out partial birth abortion.

Another real factor is that the pro-lifers inserted a clause into the bill before the pro-aborts could even get a chance to, that states that partial birth abortions can still be done in instances when it's necessary to save the woman's life. The problem with that is that it's never necessary to perform a partial birth abortion to save a woman's life. If she is able to deliver the baby for a partial birth abortion, she is able to deliver the baby fully. So this clause is meaningless, and is meant to appease the pro-abortion side. It slips a clause in there that can later be abused, when liberal interpretations of "necessary to saving the mother's life" start to arise.

I agree with the article: I think this partial birth abortion ban was instituted by conservative politicians who wanted to appease the pro-life movement. What else have they done? How many babies does this really save?