An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Catholic Movies

dUSt

DemonSlayer

Not entirely Catholic, but the Australian film December Boys with the guy who plays Harry Potter is a fairly good film with a Catholic theme.

Nihil Obstat

The Exorcist.
If you don't believe me, watch it all the way through with an open mind, then make your judgements.
It's not perfect (what is?), but it makes a strong statement that is entirely in line with our teachings.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Seven77' post='1573212' date='Jun 16 2008, 07:36 PM']Karol: A Man Who Became Pope[/quote]
YES! :D
Although I liked the sequel better. Thought it was more powerful.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='DemonSlayer' post='1595844' date='Jul 9 2008, 06:01 AM']The Exorcist: The Beginning was better than the original.[/quote]
I haven't seen it...
but I heard that none of the sequels or remakes could live up to the original.
That was the one about the exorcism in Africa, right?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='DemonSlayer' post='1596543' date='Jul 9 2008, 08:04 PM']Yeah, I just liked the idea of the priest rediscovering his vocation.[/quote]
I was more focused on how they did, by and large, present spiritual warfare as real and that it does happen sometimes. The views of the group of doctors when they recommended a 'power of suggestion' exorcism seemed to pretty accurately reflect the very wrong viewpoint of the world in general towards us and our exorcisms.

dominicansoul

Did you know that when Pope John Paul had just become Pope, he watched the Exorcist several times? It was the first movie he requested!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1596603' date='Jul 9 2008, 09:49 PM']Did you know that when Pope John Paul had just become Pope, he watched the Exorcist several times? It was the first movie he requested![/quote]
I didn't know that...
...but I'm absolutely overjoyed!! :D
I did know that it's Gabriele Amorth's favourite, and he knows his stuff.

Guest KevinSymonds

Some good movies (with good quotes).

1) The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima
"[i]Pray or I'll beat your brains out[/i]!"

2) Becket
"[i]I am going to put my royal foot up your royal buttocks[/i]!"

3) The Scarlet and the Black
"[i]Are you trying to put a crimp in my social life[/i]?"
"[i]D--- you and your social life[/i]!!"

4) A Man For All Seasons
"[i]And when the devil turns 'round, Roper, and pounces on you, what would you do then the laws all being flat? Yes, I give the devil the benefit of law for my own safety's sake[/i]."

1) The Passion of the Christ
2) The Lord of the Rings
3) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
4) The Exorcism of Emily Rose
5) Bella
6) John Paul II
7) The Therese Movie...I think it's just called Therese tho...LOL
8) The Scarlet and the Black
9) I Am David
10) insert another movie here cuz I can't think of any more...

[b]Facing the Giants [/b]was a great Christian movie that we had our youth group of grade 7-9 students watch. Great for discussion and the boys all especially liked it because it's a football movie. lol

[b]Narnia[/b] is so amazing! Also, the kids pick up so much more of the faith elements interwoven into the film just by watching it in a youth group setting.

[b]Simon Birch[/b] is another positive and humourous film. Great messages.

[b]Tuesdays with Morrie and Pay it Forward[/b] can also be used to break open the faith and get some good discussion started. :)

Edited by Treehugger

• 3 weeks later...
Proud2BCatholic139

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1596603' date='Jul 9 2008, 09:49 PM']Did you know that when Pope John Paul had just become Pope, he watched the Exorcist several times? It was the first movie he requested![/quote]

What most people do not know, that excorsism happen in real life.
Yeah, it is a movie for Catholics or anyone to see, because if we do not acknowledge that these things happen, we are in trouble.

A lot of priests on EWTN recommended Excorsism of Emily Rose. I bought the movie, and the lady I live with saw it, and she freaked out, screamed and made me throw it away. She was so mad, that she was about to sprinkle Holy Water on it.

Yet, she has movies about witchcraft?

Excorsisms and demons are serious stuff and people need to know about them.