An Old School Catholic Message Board

Victim Nuns Of The Sacred Heart

inperpetuity

Studiumecclesiae

Look what I've just found!!! Photos dating from 1992. And it's really them, I can recognize the Mother Superior, she was so young!

[url="http://brautdeslammes.blogspot.com/2011/02/seigneur-la-silence-est-votre-louange-2.html?spref=fb"]http://brautdeslammes.blogspot.com/2011/02/seigneur-la-silence-est-votre-louange-2.html?spref=fb[/url]

Enjoy!!!

[i]StudiumEcclesiae[/i]

Thanks for the beautiful photos!

Does anyone know if this community is in line with Rome?

Also - does anyone have more info on their charism? What does it mean that they are based on the secret of Fatima? Do they have any Carmelite influence? What are some of their ascetic practices (what makes them one of the strictest communities)?

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping to visit a Carmelite monastery in France over Easter break...so I might consider stopping over to visit them, si Dieu le veut! :)

One thing that I find a little frustrating about the monastery of the Victims of the Sacred Heart and many Carmelite monasteries -- they're in the middle of cities! I think I remember reading that St. Teresa of Avila wanted her monasteries to be in/near cities or towns so that they would be near the people...maybe this is because they are technically mendicant and rely on people's help and donations...? Correct me if I'm wrong; I'm not sure about that :) But the beauty and SILENCE of the countryside is so wonderful!!! ...so conducive to the contemplative life!!! (in my opinion) :) I visited the Elysburg, PA, Carmel this past summer for a couple days...and it's actually pretty out in the sticks! yay! But it seems to me to be an exception to the rule...

(excuse the rant!) :) Any info on this community will be greatly appreciated!! God bless!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Amy G.' timestamp='1299189007' post='2217591']

Also - does anyone have more info on their charism? What does it mean that they are based on the secret of Fatima? Do they have any Carmelite influence? What are some of their ascetic practices (what makes them one of the strictest communities)?

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping to visit a Carmelite monastery in France over Easter break...so I might consider stopping over to visit them, si Dieu le veut! :)

One thing that I find a little frustrating about the monastery of the Victims of the Sacred Heart and many Carmelite monasteries -- they're in the middle of cities! I think I remember reading that St. Teresa of Avila wanted her monasteries to be in/near cities or towns so that they would be near the people...maybe this is because they are technically mendicant and rely on people's help and donations...? Correct me if I'm wrong; I'm not sure about that :) But the beauty and SILENCE of the countryside is so wonderful!!! ...so conducive to the contemplative life!!! (in my opinion) :) I visited the Elysburg, PA, Carmel this past summer for a couple days...and it's actually pretty out in the sticks! yay! But it seems to me to be an exception to the rule...

(excuse the rant!) :) Any info on this community will be greatly appreciated!! God bless!
[/quote]

I believe they are in line with Holy Mother Church as the article on the blog states this:

[quote]The Community consists of one monastery, and -- as of 2006 -- 20 Nuns and a few Novices. They are served by [b]Priests of the Fraternity of St Peter[/b], and others celebrating the Traditional Latin Mass according to the 1962 Missale Romanum.[/quote]

The FSSP is in line with Rome. :)

[/quote]

There is a Carmel near me that is very much inner-city. It was established well over a hundred years ago (#2 Carmel in the United States) when this was already an urban area, but well being an urban area in the 1890s meant something different. Now it's a REALLY bad neighborhood.

And the nuns chose to stay where they are. Is there a place more in need of prayer???

So I TOTALLY hear what you're saying about how it is so much more conducive to the contemplative life to be so far removed ... but I'm SO glad that we have this powerhouse of prayer in the inner city.

kavalamyself

I really like the pictures, I must say. They are so beautiful! I wish we had one in the United States. Thanks for sharing!
Kavala

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1299176246' post='2217501']
Look what I've just found!!! Photos dating from 1992. And it's really them, I can recognize the Mother Superior, she was so young!

[url="http://brautdeslammes.blogspot.com/2011/02/seigneur-la-silence-est-votre-louange-2.html?spref=fb"]http://brautdeslamme...2.html?spref=fb[/url]

Enjoy!!!

[i]StudiumEcclesiae[/i]
[/quote]

Wow, thanks for sharing! Very neat!! Love the double grilles :ninja: ... :smile4:

Studiumecclesiae

Yes it's in the town but when you get there, it's like another world. They do penance for the world, and by the way, when you get to the parlour, you get lots of words on walls like: "[i][b]Fashions offensive to Our Lord will appear in the world.[/b][/i] " Very intimidating. Other things about mortification, about having a bitter life to get a happy death and so on. I can't remember exactly what is written.
The double grilles are very impressive. They just do the way it used to be. Like in[i] Sponsa Christi[/i] (St Pius XII)

[i]StudiumEcclesiae[/i]

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

The amount of people who have viewed this thread tells me that we as a Church really long for some of what some might consider "old" traditions - especially the habit. There is something so beautiful about these pictures, it's almost as if the holiness were tangible.

Pax,

TradMom

• 2 months later...
Studiumecclesiae

[/quote]

I have actually asked Révérende Mère Supérieure for more details:
The nuns follow [b][size="5"]the Rule of St Augustine[/size][/b]. But they have their own charism and aren't attached to any Order.
Mlle Julie-Adèle de GUERIN-RICARD founded this order because[i][font="Comic Sans MS"] "souls fall in Hell like rain on earth, God isn't loved, known, served ; Christ's heart is torn, his love despised. He asks for REPARATION."
[/font][/i]The institute was founded in 1838 in Marseilles and they haven't moved since. Rev. Father Jean du Sacré-Coeur helped her.

[b][color="#ff0000"]UNA CUM CHRISTO HOSTIA, COR UNUM
[/color][/b]
[u][b]the nuns make vows[/b][/u] of [b]POVERTY, CHASTITY, OBEDIENCE[/b] and [b][u]ENCLOSURE[/u][/b].
Postulate - 6 months
Noviciate - 2 years followed by temporary vows
Temporary Profession - 3 years and then perpetual vows

[u][b]Apostolate[/b][/u]: Prayer, Adoration, penance (they have perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament)

[u][b]Books to read[/b][/u]: [i]Le serviteur de Dieu ; le révérend Père Jean du Sacré-Coeur[/i], by R.P. Norbert de Chauffailles O.M.C

[i]Une victime d'amour :[/i] [i]Julie Adèle de Gérin-Ricard, Révérende Mère Marie-Victime de Jésus-Crucifié,[/i] by R.P. Constant de Pélissanne O.M.C

[i]Introduction à la Vie de Victime,[/i] by R.P. Jean du Sacré-Coeur (Manuel des Associés)

I hope it helps! Bless this community!

[i]StudiumEcclesiae[/i]

• 8 months later...

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1327765104' post='2376541']
One of my mom's aqaintance's annouced that her sister is entering here!
[/quote]

Wow, that is great news! So neat that you'll know someone there! :heart:

I never realized this thread had so much info. on it, I guess that was when I went offline for a year and a half or so. So much has happened since then. I know now that I am not called to them even though I sooo admire their life. I would consider going over seas to enter a convent only if they were English speaking, well maybe Italian.

That is wonderful that someone your mom knows is entering there. God bless her.

Indwelling Trinity

awmesome...If only there were two of me... i would be on a plane right now :paperbag:

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

• 5 months later...
Julie de Sales

Another pictures of them, I don't know if you have seen them:

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-atxHmdrScxI/TWQYEG-k-RI/AAAAAAAAEyE/Qx9H_LbPMl0/s1600/Louange3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bFeR5BWT6xI/TWzcF9AVp-I/AAAAAAAAE4s/ZopsoRNPYrU/s1600/Stilles%2BGl%25C3%25BCck6.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DJ4lCRoZGV8/TWQYqOos5kI/AAAAAAAAEzM/ohOA08eoSj4/s1600/Louange12.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1Z7bVIEhbhs/TWQYpfX09rI/AAAAAAAAEzE/qD_QSwrbroI/s1600/Louange11.jpg[/img]