An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ladies, Do You Wear Headcoverings/veils For Mass?

LilyofSaintMaria

Ladies, Do You Wear Headcoverings/veils For Mass?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I grew up in the 60's and believe me, it was trauma enough! I can't tell you how many times I forgot a scarf or mantilla, and we had to bobby pin a kleenex on my head. It was horrible. I hate hats, never wear them. I do not see it as anything but a personal choice thing. NO one in my parish wears a veil at all. It does not equate modesty to me, nor anything special in honor of Mary. Many feel it does, and if you feel it means something to you, go for it.

I tried going back to that, and I really wanted to like it, too, but honestly, the lace mantilla was just so distracting to me, that I felt it interfered with worship.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1578215' date='Jun 21 2008, 01:26 AM']I always dress well for church, but even that's become less emphasized these days... What happened to the Sunday best?[/quote]

I'm with you as well. I always dress nicely for Sunday, although it takes a bit of effort for me. I don't have the family reinforcement, since I'm the only one who's Catholic in my family. At school, I almost always dress nicely for Sunday Mass (probably 9 out of 10). Most kids go to the University Mass in jeans and a sweatshirt. I did that once or twice, but felt horrible about it. There have been times when I needed to go in my uniform (softball) otherwise I wouldn't have made it to Mass at all.

As for daily Mass... I always look decent. Not my Sunday best, but always modest. There have been a few times when I needed to go in my practice clothes, otherwise I couldn't go at all.

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1577587' date='Jun 20 2008, 02:23 PM']Why wear one? 1 cor 11 5-7, and after reading alot about veiling it honors or faith and Mary.[/quote]

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops on 1 Corinthians 11

[url="http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/1corinthians/1corinthians11.htm"]http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/1corinth...rinthians11.htm[/url]

I believe as some others who have posted that head coverings for women is a personal choice. I also believe that it's a matter of respect for where and with whom one is attending Mass. I believe that most women (perhaps even all women) who attend the TLM where a veil. I'm not sure I see anything which relates to modesty in 1 Corinthians 11...I do see references to authority, relationship, hierarchy and commonly accepted social/ecclesial practice.

I like head coverings but I don't have a need or desire to be dogmatic about them...not that I think anyone here has been....but I do know some who are.

I think it would also do us good to remember that outward signs are just that - signs of something....but an outward sign or particular behavior is not necessarily a virtue in and of itself...it points to a virtue and as such can be a very good thing. For example, take monastic decorum for instance and the practice of "rank in community", the practices associated with this teaching from the Holy Rule are not the virtues, but rather the practice of observing rank can lead one (point to) to experience growth in the virtue of charity....and humility would not be far behind. In my opinion we ought not to abandon outward signs but neither ought we to mistake them for virtue itself.

Peace