An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters Of Mary Mother Of Israel's Hope Website

Roseoftherese

[quote name='nunsense' post='1592049' date='Jul 5 2008, 12:45 PM']The habit is in the hands of two absolutely wonderful seamstresses here in St Louis and they have been letting us try one on while we determine what changes need to be made each time. The final design is not yet completed, but part of the reason for that is finding the right fabric material in the right color. Some fabrics are too hot, some wrinkle too much and others don't have the right color or don't wash well. It is a very fun time and we are all praying to Our Lady to help us - so please add your prayers to ours!

It is wonderful that so many people do want to contribute to the community is some way, and the idea of prints is a very good one. We have had people offer statues and pictures and there have been many other wonderful gift ideas from people. Of course, we are very grateful for the love and support of everyone. The greatest gift of all is your prayers of course, and we thank God for blessing the community with so many supporters and benefactors.

Blessed be God forever.[/quote]

Nunsense, if I may make a suggestion..

You might review the habits or orders that you like--the style, the color, the design, and consult those orders re fabric, styling and maintenance.

For ex, Regina Laudis (Bethlehem, CT) have wimples and head coverings that always seem to look neat and pressed and unstarched. They have an 'unstructured' headdress which always looks right. I don't know how they do it, but if I were designing a habit, I'd want to consult them. Same for the Nashville Cecilian OP's who had a French designer advise them about their habit--to keep it long--and whose habit is the standard against which many other habits are compared. There are a number of European habits I've seen that also are simple and unconstructed but appear to look neat and in place (and are flattering-!-which a nice habit often is, ie Therese of the Child Jesus) , but these orders would be a lot harder to contact--and many are non-English speaking.

Beatus, get your hands on a copy of Rumer Godden's book, "Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy" (you can get it used on Amazon) - read about a WHOLE ORDER of nuns made up of women who are/were what used to be called "wayward" women" - some were even former prostitutes - the Sisters of Bethany.

Virginity is certainly a wonderful gift to make to the Lord. Be he loves the non-virgins, too. And he calls them and accepts their offerings.

Think of the gospel parable about the workers in the field. Some were hired early and worked all day, some were hired (called) very late in the day, but all received the same wages at the end of the day. The workers who worked all day say, "hey, wait - we worked all day, how come they get the same as us?"

And the Lord said, "because I choose to pay them the same."

There is a lot more to religious life than virginity.

Edited by DameAgnes

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1603872' date='Jul 20 2008, 04:08 AM']Beatus, get your hands on a copy of Rumer Godden's book, "Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy" (you can get it used on Amazon) - read about a WHOLE ORDER of nuns made up of women who are/were what used to be called "wayward" women" - some were even former prostitutes - the Sisters of Bethany.

Virginity is certainly a wonderful gift to make to the Lord. Be he loves the non-virgins, too. And he calls them and accepts their offerings.

Think of the gospel parable about the workers in the field. Some were hired early and worked all day, some were hired (called) very late in the day, but all received the same wages at the end of the day. The workers who worked all day say, "hey, wait - we worked all day, how come they get the same as us?"

And the Lord said, "because I choose to pay them the same."

There is a lot more to religious life than virginity.[/quote]

Good show, DA.

And there's the story of the Prodigal Son and the jealous older (loyal ) brother, who didn't have the fatted calf slain [i]for him![/i]

• 3 weeks later...
AccountDeleted

Praise+Jesus

I have been on retreat for the past two weeks so haven't been able to get online. For very personal reasons, I am no longer with Rosalind's community, although I pray for them every day and ask God to bless them with vocations and benefactors.

I am now starting a three month live-in as a hermit, which is what I actually intended to do when I left Carmel in March. I feel very blessed and honored to have been with Rosalind at the beginning of her apostolate, as she is a charismatic and inspired leader who sincerely wants to serve God as an evangelist. I know that God is calling me along a different path however - the way of desert spirituality. I feel a great peace at my choice and have had Rosalind's full support in making this decision.

Please email Rosalind directly using rosalindmoss@gmail.com for any enquiries about her community. I will not have phone, email or online access during my three month live-in but feel free to send me your prayers via your guardian angels! :rolleyes:

May God's peace be upon you all in the heart of our blessed Savior, Jesus.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='nunsense' post='1617211' date='Aug 4 2008, 04:29 PM']Praise+Jesus

I have been on retreat for the past two weeks so haven't been able to get online. For very personal reasons, I am no longer with Rosalind's community, although I pray for them every day and ask God to bless them with vocations and benefactors.

I am now starting a three month live-in as a hermit, which is what I actually intended to do when I left Carmel in March. I feel very blessed and honored to have been with Rosalind at the beginning of her apostolate, as she is a charismatic and inspired leader who sincerely wants to serve God as an evangelist. I know that God is calling me along a different path however - the way of desert spirituality. I feel a great peace at my choice and have had Rosalind's full support in making this decision.

Please email Rosalind directly using rosalindmoss@gmail.com for any enquiries about her community. I will not have phone, email or online access during my three month live-in but feel free to send me your prayers via your guardian angels! :rolleyes:

May God's peace be upon you all in the heart of our blessed Savior, Jesus.[/quote]

:pray: :sign:

It is very good to hear your doing well Annie. I will be praying for your vocation. God bless you and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel keep you!

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

You are so good to the Phatmass Phamily for sharing your struggles, your joys and your life. Thank you for giving us a glimpse. May your time in retreat be a time of generous rewards from our King.

TradMom

Annie - it seems God has been calling you insistently to the desert. I will keep you in my daily prayers.

Guest Drnostrand

Rosalind Moss seems like a nice enough ol' burd, and her radio persona radiates kindness and sincerity. But I do wish she'd get over the nostalgic "I'm Jewish" melodrama, which she peppers into almost every 'Oy, vey!' type ejaculation she comes out with. There's a Hindu convert who plays organ at the Catholic parish down the street, but he doesn't go round saying, "I'm Hindu!"

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Drnostrand' post='1625511' date='Aug 12 2008, 05:38 PM']Rosalind Moss seems like a nice enough ol' burd, and her radio persona radiates kindness and sincerity. But I do wish she'd get over the nostalgic "I'm Jewish" melodrama, which she peppers into almost every 'Oy, vey!' type ejaculation she comes out with. There's a Hindu convert who plays organ at the Catholic parish down the street, but he doesn't go round saying, "I'm Hindu!"[/quote]

Respectfully, I disagree.

Being Jewish is something very unique and special, as to be Jewish, is to be apart of "God's chosen people." They truly were set apart from the beginning as "His people." We are adopted brothers and sisters. But they are in a very unique and special way "His," and they still are despite that the Messiah has come and there is a New Covenant.

The Catholic faith is deeply rooted in Judaism. ... a better understanding of Judaism leads to a better understanding of Catholicism, as there are so many parallels. There is a reason God has led her on the path He has. It is my guess that it is a part of her vocation to teach the faith with a special Jewish perspective, as it is a very insightful perspective to have when thinking over the many beliefs and practices we have as Catholics. I have always appreciated listening to Rosalind, and from the moment I heard her speak on ewtn I knew that she was special... it is kind of like listening to Fr. Corapi or Fr. Groeschel.... they have a wisdom and a presence. Rosalind has this. Like our Blessed Mother I believe she has "pondered many things in her heart" and has grown in wisdom about the many aspects of our faith, connecting the dots between Judaism, the "religion" of the Old Covenant, and Catholicism, that of the New. As Catholics we have a great Jewish heritage and it would be a pity if we were not informed about this. Whenever she shares through radio or television her insights concerning Jewish/Catholic belief and traditions I am enthralled. I want to share it with everyone because it is like a missing part of the puzzle that I was unaware was missing... I am just so excited to have found it. It is so new. So rich. So... fitting. I want to share the insight with everyone as I want everyone to know even more so, by this piece of information, how rich and beautiful our faith is. Rosalind is filled with these insights and it is no wonder she at times cries in joy at the idea of the Messiah and is so eager and zealous in sharing these Jewish parallels to Catholicism... it makes Catholicism so, so, so much richer and beautiful to know these things and to see the puzzle all fitting together as God intended. I simply think her many mentions of Judaism and her Jewish heritage are the effects of a great, sincere desire for everyone to know and love God all the more and have a greater, deeper appreciation for what He has done in the past for us and the beauty of the truth He has given to us.

Also, being Jewish is much more then being "Catholic" as Jewish people are an ethnic group. She can never cease being Jewish. That is who she is, as a Russian person would be Russian or a Polish person, Polish. She is very happy and proud to be Jewish, and I would be too if I were her. I am Romanian and Italian, and my family takes great pride in this. My godparents are Polish and they have a very great pride in their Polish heritage. No one questions this or gets annoyed by it. These different ethnic groups, with their customs and traditions add to the richness of the universal Church. I think the Jewish ethnic group, with their understanding of the Old Covenant in general, can, probably more then any other ethnic group, shed light on the beliefs and traditions of the New Covenant, Catholicism.

I am so thankful to God for what He has done and continues to do through Rosalind, as well as the insights into Truth and Catholicism that He has given us through her Jewish perspective of looking at the faith. I would be very sad to see her shun her Jewish heritage and not speak of it often... she would lose something very precious (and we would too) if that were the case.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

DefenderofGod

Beautifully explained and written TotusTuusMaria. We all have deep family roots, with deep and heartfelt emotions. I have a Jewish background and I feel Rosalind adds a certain fullness to her ministry. I could listen to her forever.... Defender of God

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1625551' date='Aug 12 2008, 07:41 PM']Respectfully, I disagree.

Also, being Jewish is much more then being "Catholic" as Jewish people are an ethnic group. She can never cease being Jewish. That is who she is, as a Russian person would be Russian or a Polish person, Polish.[/quote]

I love the Jewish roots of my Roman Catholic faith...in fact, I'm probably more at home (in some ways) in a Jewish worship service than I am in some non-Catholic Christian services...BUT....saying that being Jewish is the same as a Russian being Russian may be an oversimplification. I personally know Jewish people who insist that their religion is Jewish and their ethnicity Russian or Polis or something else entirely. One complexity to all of this is that in order to be Jewish, one's mother must be Jewish...that would not be true for a person born in Russia...that person is Russian regardless of their parentage.

I do believe that there is a Jewish culture but I don't think the ethnicity question is so easily defined/answered. A good source is here: [url="http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm"]http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm[/url]

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='gloriagurl' post='1626056' date='Aug 13 2008, 12:12 PM']I love the Jewish roots of my Roman Catholic faith...in fact, I'm probably more at home (in some ways) in a Jewish worship service than I am in some non-Catholic Christian services...BUT....saying that being Jewish is the same as a Russian being Russian may be an oversimplification. I personally know Jewish people who insist that their religion is Jewish and their ethnicity Russian or Polis or something else entirely. One complexity to all of this is that in order to be Jewish, one's mother must be Jewish...that would not be true for a person born in Russia...that person is Russian regardless of their parentage.

I do believe that there is a Jewish culture but I don't think the ethnicity question is so easily defined/answered. A good source is here: [url="http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm"]http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm[/url][/quote]

Thank you. I probably did over-simplify that.

I hope the point came across though, nevertheless.

EDIT: typo

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

Saint Therese

[quote]Rosalind Moss seems like a nice enough ol' burd, and her radio persona radiates kindness and sincerity. But I do wish she'd get over the nostalgic "I'm Jewish" melodrama, which she peppers into almost every 'Oy, vey!' type ejaculation she comes out with. There's a Hindu convert who plays organ at the Catholic parish down the street, but he doesn't go round saying, "I'm Hindu!"[/quote]

:huh:

DefenderofGod

It is with overwhelming love and gratitude that we write this thank
you to all those who brought their time, talents. Gifts and prayers
to prepare the Convent of St. George for us. Last Saturday more
than sixty people helped us move items into the convent, tended
to various tasks, delivered items, made donations and provided
prayer support. We want you to know how much we appreciate your kindness, generosity and
welcoming hearts. Please know that you will remain in our prayers and we ask that you keep
us in yours. God bless you all.
Rosalind, Lois and Della, the Sisters at the Convent, Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel’s
Hope.

This was taken from the St.George's bullentin for this week. Praying all continues well for the new order, what a huge undertaking. Praying for them daily.