An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Vocation Quotes

tinytherese

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1593835' date='Jul 7 2008, 01:28 PM']Pray like it is all up to God, but work like it is all up to you.
-anon[/quote]

Oooooooooh, I like it! I've never heard this one before.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1593480' date='Jul 7 2008, 03:59 AM']Get outta my head. :ninja:

It must be the Avatars, eh? ;)[/quote]

Most likely :) or maybe my inner Dominican can read other Dominican minds.... hehe

Laudem Gloriae

"This is want I want. This is want I desire. This is want I long for with my whole heart". St. Francis of Assisi

"Place your heart in the figure of the divine substance and transform your whole being into the image of the Godhead Itself through contemplation !" St. Clare of Assisi's 2nd letter to St. Agnes of Prague

"One cannot desire freedom from the Cross when one is especially chosen for the Cross." St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, Carmelite nun

"Let your desire be the vision of God, your fear, the loss of Him, your sorrow His absence, your joy in that which may take you to Him and your life shall be in great peace." St. Teresa of Avila

"God is calling you to be his spouse, to love him totally, to make him your all, to set aside any other love and choose only Him. Since you know God is offering you the treasure of his love, and has chosen you for himself,
you will make sure that you always keep him in first place. (from Shorelines)

"I think that God chooses fruits from every season. Isn't it the diversity of the fruits and flowers in a garden that makes it so pleasant?" - St. Therese to a fellow nun (who was a belated vocation), Sr. Marie-Philomene of Jesus, regarding her thoughts on older vocations

I'm not sure if this was specifically a vocation quote, but it seems appropriate.

It is Jesus that you seek when you dream of happiness; he is waiting for you when nothing else you find satisfies you; he is the beauty to which you are so attracted; it is he who provokes you with that thirst for fullness that will not let you settle for compromise; it is he who urges you to shed the masks of a false life; it is he who reads in your hearts your most genuine choices, the choices that others try to stifle. It is Jesus who stirs in you the desire to do something great with your lives, the will to follow an ideal, the refusal to allow yourselves to be grounded down by mediocrity, the courage to commit yourselves humbly and patiently to improving yourselves and society, making the world more human and more fraternal. -John Paul II

DominicanPhilosophy

"Virtues grow together." -Sr. Mary Brigid, OP
"Pray hard and cling to the name of Jesus." -Sr. Miriam, OP

Neither are really vocation-specific quotes, but are vital quotes, I believe, when referring to discernment in general. Also, I really love the quote in my signature, because for me, I suffer with spiritual dryness a lot, but to remember to express our love to Jesus no matter how we *feel* is something that will make us grow in holiness and therefore closer to Him! Once we are able to triumph over our feelings - which are very human - with complete confidence in Christ, we will be able to clearly discern His will for us.

Then, regarding vocations:

Hos 2:16, 17c-18, 21-22

Thus says the LORD:
I will allure her;
I will lead her into the desert
and speak to her heart.
She shall respond there as in the days of her youth,
when she came up from the land of Egypt.

On that day, says the LORD,
She shall call me “My husband,”
and never again “My baal.”

[i]I will espouse you to me forever[/i]:
I will espouse you in right and in justice,
in love and in mercy;
I will espouse you in fidelity,
and you shall know the LORD.

Okay, so technically not a quote, per se, but The Quote! So beautiful!

johnnydigit

I will come to you in the silence
I will lift you from all your fear
You will hear My voice
I claim you as My choice
Be still, and know I am near

I am hope for all who are hopeless
I am eyes for all who long to see
In the shadows of the night,
I will be your light
Come and rest in Me

Chorus:
[b]Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine [/b]

You are Mine
By David Haas

johnnydigit

i consider this song my "vocation song". it is "All For You" by Starfield. it's about abandoning yourself to God and letting it all go. the part in bold is what really tugs at me. i finally decided to let go when i was on pilgrimage in Italy, on a 22-hour bus ride while crossing into Poland.. *sniff*

Nothing compares to
Life I have in You
Nothing of this world satisfies
So, I want to let go
I want to let You know
All that I have to give is Yours

Here I am
As gold to the fire
I will surrender to Your hand
To this place
Lord, I have come ready for Your touch

It's all for You
It's all for You
I'm letting go
I'm letting go

What is it in me
That hangs on for so long
Why do I fight the tears that come?
I work so hard to
Keep in control when
All that I want is to let go

I'll take this life
And lay it down
I'm letting go
I'm letting go
[b]My hopes and dreams
Here at Your feet
I'm letting go
I'm letting go

And I am ready for Your life
And I am ready for You now[/b]

johnnydigit

"[b]A monk is he who directs his gaze towards God alone, and who, being at peace with God, becomes a source of peace for others.[/b]" -St. Theodore Studite

johnnydigit

The Benjamin Gate - "The Calling"

I see the fire in your eyes
And I hope for the world that it never dies
I felt the softness of your inner core
All your intentions so pure and so raw

I hear you calling
Don't look away
We hear you callling
Don't turn away

[b]I see what you could become
I know that your doubt will be undone
And as time brings a change
There'll be no holding you back again[/b]

I heard you whisper gently
But it's only when you stand on your own that you'll be free

I hear you calling
We hear you calling
Isolation won't be your protection

======

ok that's all for now. :D

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1593835' date='Jul 7 2008, 12:28 PM']Pray like it is all up to God, but work like it is all up to you.
-anon[/quote]
I've heard the same quote but it was worded differently.

"Work as if everything depended on you. Pray as if everything depended on God."

nowak.chris

"To be a ring-bearer is to be alone." ~LotR

"When you become a priest, if you ever have the great misfortune of getting rich, I will not even pay you a visit!" ~ Don Bosco's mother (found in "Come & Follow Me" by Fr Manelli, FI.)

Rising_Suns

A few serious quotes;

"If anyone saith that the marriage state is to be preferred before the state of virginity, let him be anathema." -Council of Trent

"They [religious] live more purely, they fall more rarely, they rise more speedily, they are aided more powerfully, they live more peacefully, they die more securely, and they are rewarded more abundantly." -Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

"Though I could not at first bend my will to be a nun, I saw that the religious state was the best and safest. And thus, by little and little, I resolved to force myself into it. The struggle lasted three months. [ ... ] When I took the habit, Our Lord at once made me understand how He helps those who do violence to themselves, in order to serve Him, I was filled with a joy so great that it has never failed me to this day." - Saint Teresa of Avila

"If a person thinks of embracing a secular life, he should ask and desire more evident signs that God calls him to a secular life, than if there were question of embracing the evangelical counsels; for Our Lord Himself has evidently exhorted us to embrace His counsels." - Saint Ignatius

[url="http://www.religious-vocation.com/"]http://www.religious-vocation.com/[/url]

Blessings.

Edited by Rising_Suns

johnnydigit

[quote name='Rising_Suns' post='1596781' date='Jul 9 2008, 11:51 PM']A few serious quotes;

"If anyone saith that the marriage state is to be preferred before the state of virginity, let him be anathema." -Council of Trent

"They [religious] live more purely, they fall more rarely, they rise more speedily, they are aided more powerfully, they live more peacefully, they die more securely, and they are rewarded more abundantly." -Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

"Though I could not at first bend my will to be a nun, I saw that the religious state was the best and safest. And thus, by little and little, I resolved to force myself into it. The struggle lasted three months. [ ... ] When I took the habit, Our Lord at once made me understand how He helps those who do violence to themselves, in order to serve Him, I was filled with a joy so great that it has never failed me to this day." - Saint Teresa of Avila

"If a person thinks of embracing a secular life, he should ask and desire more evident signs that God calls him to a secular life, than if there were question of embracing the evangelical counsels; for Our Lord Himself has evidently exhorted us to embrace His counsels." - Saint Ignatius

[url="http://www.religious-vocation.com/"]http://www.religious-vocation.com/[/url]
Blessings.[/quote]

great site with some very practical advice. i discovered the site and read those quotes when i saw this vocation video [url="http://www.gloria.tv/?video=dd6kdreyqi7c2mletdly"]http://www.gloria.tv/?video=dd6kdreyqi7c2mletdly[/url]

Pope John Paul II , Vita Consecrata, no. 32
“As a way of showing forth the Church's holiness, it is to be recognized that the consecrated life, which mirrors Christ's own way of life, has an objective superiority. Precisely for this reason, it is an especially rich manifestation of Gospel values and a more complete expression of the Church's purpose, which is the sanctification of humanity. The consecrated life proclaims and in a certain way anticipates the future age, when the fullness of the Kingdom of Heaven, already present in its first fruits and in mystery,[62] will be achieved and when the children of the resurrection will take neither wife nor husband, but will be like the angels of God (cf. Mt. 22:30)”

Pope Pius XII, Sacra Virginitas, no. 32
“This doctrine of the excellence of virginity and of celibacy and of their superiority over the married state was, as we have already said, revealed by our Divine Redeemer and by the Apostle of the Gentiles; so too, it was solemnly defined as a dogma of divine faith by the holy council of Trent, and explained in the same way by all the holy Fathers and Doctors of the Church."

Catechism of the Catholic Church, p. 916
"The state of the consecrated life is thus one way of experiencing a "more intimate" consecration, rooted in Baptism and dedicated totally to God. In the consecrated life, Christ's faithful, moved by the Holy Spirit, propose to follow Christ more nearly, to give themselves to God who is loved above all and, pursuing the perfection of charity in the service of the Kingdom, to signify and proclaim in the Church the glory of the world to come."

I Corinthians Chp. VII
"It is a good thing for a man not to touch a woman. [v.1] Indeed, I wish that everyone were like I am [celibate]. [v.7] I should like you to be free from anxieties. An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord; how he may please the Lord. But a married man is anxious about the things of the world; how he may please his wife, and he is divided. [v.32] Are you free of a wife? Then do not look for a wife. If you marry, however, you do not sin, nor does an unmarried woman sin if she marries; but such people will experience affliction in their earthly life, and I would like to spare you that." [v.28] (see also Mark 12:18-27, Mtt 19:10-12, 2 Timothy Ch. 2:3)