An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Vocation Quotes

tinytherese

Rising_Suns

"To be a mother means to love and to suffer. To be a nun means to love and to suffer more."
-St. Teresa of Avila

Thomist-in-Training

[list]
[*]"Sometimes, someone will ask me: 'Father, what would you have been if you hadn't been a priest?' And I answer: 'Oh... ...nothing useful.'"

--Fr. Terra, FSSP, explaining how one is made to fit one's vocation.

[*]On the Marian Vow which the Franciscans of the Immaculate make according to the manner of St. Kolbe:

"If Our Lady wants me to fly a plane, I will fly a plane!"
--Sr. Maria Cristiana, FSI
[/list]

johnnydigit

from [u]Confessions[/u] by St. Augustine (Book 6, Ch. 7):

[indent]Why, therefore, do I delay in abandoning my hopes of this world and giving myself wholly to seek after God and the blessed life?

"But wait a moment. This life also is pleasant, and it has a sweetness of its own, not at all negligible. We must not abandon it lightly, for it would be shameful to lapse back into it again. See now, it is important to gain some post of honor. And what more should I desire? I have crowds of influential friends, if nothing else; and, if I push my claims, a governorship may be offered me, and a wife with some money, so that she would not be an added expense. This would be the height of my desire. Many men, who are great and worthy of imitation, have combined the pursuit of wisdom with a marriage life."

(Book 6, Ch.12)
I quoted against him the examples of men who had been married and still lovers of wisdom, who had pleased God and had been loyal and affectionate to their friends. I fell far short of them in greatness of soul, and, enthralled with the disease of my carnality and its deadly sweetness, I dragged my chain along, fearing to be loosed of it. Thus I rejected the words of him who counseled me wisely, as if the hand that would have loosed the chain only hurt my wound.
[/indent]

Thomist-in-Training

God does not choose a young woman because she is good, but because He is so good.

The one who thinks herself qualified to be a great success in the cloister is probably the one who will fail, whereas the one who is confused and humbled at the idea that God should look towards such poor material as herself for the fashioning of a contemplative nun is likely to persevere.

Mother Mary Francis, PCC (Poor Clare Colettine)

Laudem Gloriae

"A Carmelite, my darling, is a soul who has gazed on the Crucified, who has seen Him offering Himself to His Father as a Victim for souls and, recollecting herself in this great vision of the charity of Christ, has understood the passionate love of His soul, and has wanted to give herself as He did! And on the mountain of Carmel, in silence, in solitude, in prayer that never ends, for it continues through everything, the Carmelite already lives as if in Heaven: 'by God alone.'"

Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity L133

"If anyone is seeking God, know that the Beloved is seeking that person much more."

St. John of the Cross, The Living Flame of Love 3:28

"That is the whole life of Carmel, to live in Him. Then all sacrifices, all immolations become divine, for through everything the soul sees Him whom it loves, and everything leads it to Him; it is a continual heart-to-heart! You see you can already be a Carmelite in soul. Love silence and prayer, for that is the essence of Carmelite life."

Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity L136

"In Carmel we find many sacrifices of this kind, but they are so sweet when the heart is wholly taken by love. I will tell you what I do when I feel a little tired: I look at the Crucified, and when I see how He delivered Himself up for me, it seems to me that I can do no less for Him than spend myself, wear myself out in order to repay Him a little of what He has given me!"

Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity L156

Rising_Suns

"Let no soul, even the most miserable, fall prey to doubt; for, as long as one is alive, each one can become a great saint, so great is the power of God's grace. It remains only for us not to oppose God's actions."

- [url="http://www.religious-vocation.com/discerning_religious_vocation.html"]Diary of Saint Faustina, p.134[/url]

Edited by Rising_Suns

• 1 month later...
Domine ut Videam

"Do not be afraid of Christ! He takes nothing away and He gives you everything. When we give ourselves to Him, we receive a hundred-fold in return. Yes, open, open wide the doors to Christ - and you will find true life." -Pope Benedict XVI

"Drop everything and go...and when you do be not afraid." -Fr.Thomas Cook

• 1 year later...
laetitia crucis
:bump:

I like this thread. :D

And wanted to add this:

[quote]A vocation is so very sacred that one does not like to speak of it; I never mentioned it to anyone -- my classmates, my parents, nor to the priests (except Father Kelly, a curate in the cathedral parish). Always associated with that sense of the gift of a treasure was the frailty of the earthenware pot which was to house it. I would often drive it out of my mind, only to have it come back again. For the most part, the religious vocation is rather a silent but insistent whisper, yet one that demands a response; no violent shaking of bedposts or loud noises in the night. Just "you are called to be a priest."

Neither is the vocation so imperative that it makes acceptance a necessity rather than a willing obedience. In the Old Testament story, when God spoke to young Samuel, there was no voice audible to anyone but the child. Nor was there anything to prove it was divine; that is why Samuel twice went to Eli after his name was called, believing that it was Eli who had summoned him. The experience of the aged priest, Eli, was necessary finally to convince the boy of the divinity of the speaker: "Eli, perceived that the Lord had called the child." Samuel did not at first know it was the voice of the Lord. Neither do most of us, when first we are called, recognize it as such except by its persistence and the calmness and peace with which it possesses the soul.

-- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, [i]Treasure in Clay[/i] [/quote]

:))

Sister Marie

[quote]Finally we should consider the events which are happening to us now and which will happen to us in the future, as coming from the hands of God. Everything we do should be directed to this one end: to do the will of God and to do it solely for the reason that God wills it... Let us will always and ever only what God wills; for so doing, he will press us to his heart. [/quote]

Saint Alphonsus Liguori

SrMagnificat

I was watching Dominican nuns from Michigan being interviewed by Oprah (that is what it took to get me to sit through a show of hers) and what one novice said was PERFECT! "Jesus is the most difficult husband to have, because if something is wrong with the relationship, I know it's me!" :))

JMJ
"When I lived most happily without thinking of affection, You wanted me to love you; and I loved You with a Passion. And I will continue to love You even after death. I will love You with all of my soul, and whereas the heart stops beating the soul never dies"

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='TrueImage' date='08 July 2008 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1215541906' post='1595220']
I'm not sure if this was specifically a vocation quote, but it seems appropriate.

It is Jesus that you seek when you dream of happiness; he is waiting for you when nothing else you find satisfies you; he is the beauty to which you are so attracted; it is he who provokes you with that thirst for fullness that will not let you settle for compromise; it is he who urges you to shed the masks of a false life; it is he who reads in your hearts your most genuine choices, the choices that others try to stifle. It is Jesus who stirs in you the desire to do something great with your lives, the will to follow an ideal, the refusal to allow yourselves to be grounded down by mediocrity, the courage to commit yourselves humbly and patiently to improving yourselves and society, making the world more human and more fraternal. -John Paul II
[/quote]

Beautiful... how I loved that dynamic love for Jesus that our former Holy Father had!

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity